2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite large enough., September 5, 2010
This review is from: Atlantic 35535601 Element 230CD Media Rack (Electronics)
I have bought several DVD racks that looked identical to this one in the past so when I saw it listed in Amizon.com I had no qualms about buying it. (sigh) I should have known better. This item was very easy to assemble, and is perfectly adequite for CDs or Blu-Ray DVDs , but regular DVD cases only barely fit with about 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch left over. If those regular cases happen to be in a boxed set(i.e. TV seasons or special collection) they don't fit. The boxed sets are (maybe) 1/8th of an inch taller than a regular DVD case. After comparing this item side by side with my older CD/DVD racks I found this item to be sturdier and more stable than my older racks. The reason it is more stable, (comparatively, I've owned my other racks for ten years and never had a problem) is because it is about 10 inches shorter overall, with 2 less inches of clearance per shelf.
Bottom line, this item is great if you're using it to store CDs or Blu-Ray DVDs, if you had intended it to store something larger (as I had) you will need to get something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2010 1:42:43 AM PST
Jared Turner says:
Im going to disagree. I have 3 of these racks and they look great with dvds or blu-rays. Just my opinion of course but I love them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 7:00:31 AM PDT
Did you miss the part about box sets or special cases?

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:56:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 9:55:54 AM PST
C. G. M. says:
Thanks for the comment referencing your older model. I have one of the older models, which is 47" tall, not 41" like this one. The extra height allowed for 9 1/2 inches between shelves, which would easily accommodate box sets. I guess the manufacturer was looking to more efficiently use the between-shelf space for standard DVD cases, but they just lost a sale to me. I'd planned to buy this one to hold all my box sets.

Apparently the earlier models were designed to accomodate the larger Disney plastic cases used for VHS tapes. They were substantially larger than standard VHS slipcases. With VHS a dead format, and those cases no longer used, shelf manufacturers no longer design shelving to deal with them, only the standard DVD case. Some box sets are just large enough to not fit. Manufacturers ought to give it another half inch or so.

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 12:23:51 PM PDT
Patty L says:
Could you not put the boxed sets on the top rack only?

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 8:45:50 AM PST
Chris says:
Nothing to do with the product but I found it funny that in the images, they have 7 copies of RAMBO: First Blood

:D

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 12:34:08 PM PST
First Blood [Blu-ray]

It was a good movie. I wouldn't mind owning it myself.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:23:49 PM PDT
Trinitygirl says:
I had to buy another one because I have so many dvds. At first I had the old dvd stands around 10 which held hardly anything. You're so right about the boxed sets, I have to find somewhere else to put those.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:30:47 PM PST
Thanks for the advice- I did end up getting it, since I'm just using it to store games (both DVD and Bluray)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 9:30:16 PM PST
S. Shaw says:
But.... why should he have to? And that wouldn't solve the issue for someone like me. It makes a difference to me in deciding to purchase this item versus another. I for one, like to alphabetize my movies in categories, and if I were forced to pull my boxed sets out and put them only on the top rows alone, that wouldn't allow me to keep separate all my horror films (like my Aliens Anthology) from the family films for example, or keep them all in alphabetical order. Aside from me being a bit OCD, if I purchase a storage unit that is supposed to fit DVD's, I do expect they mean the boxed sets, too. (Not necessarily the oddly shaped ones or the over-sized, of course.) We shouldn't have to find a workaround for a brand new product to do what it intends to do...

Thanks, Duckman - will be moving on, myself! It's a good review and I found it helpful to know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (329 customer reviews)

$40.80