5.0 out of 5 stars A Nostalgic Treat for Silver Age DC Fans..., February 29, 2008
This review is from: Justice League - The New Frontier (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
I admit, I'm a child of the Silver Age of DC Comics! I grew up on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, the Atom, Adam Strange...and especially the Justice League of America. So I admit, "Justice League - The New Frontier (Two-Disc Special Edition)" brought a lump to my throat...it was like being a kid, again!

Based on Darwyn Cooke's remarkable, nostalgic reworking of the birth of the Silver Age heroes during the transitional 1950s, the animated film homages the characters I grew up, loving (especially test pilot/Green Lantern Hal Jordan, the Martian Manhunter, and police scientist/Flash Barry Allen), in the context of the era, a decade of Communist paranoia, McCarthy witch hunts, the birth of the Space Age, and struggle for racial equality. One element Cooke 'lifted' from Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" epic, that of the government ordering superheroes to 'stand down', fits this saga exceptionally well, with Superman as the only 'approved' hero, Batman refusing to, thus becoming a wanted fugitive, and the 'Golden Age' heroes forced into retirement (I was disappointed not seeing more of the JSA, other than in the opening credits, but there are a LOT of characters that DO appear!)

Of course, a new, unstoppable, super-powered villain (the primeval, immortal 'Centre') picks this time to eradicate the human race, quickly knocking Superman out of the battle, and requiring the new generation of heroes, teamed with Batman and Wonder Woman, to save the world.

There are SO many touches I loved! A reworking of Hal Jordan's origin as Green Lantern; the romances of Supes and Lois Lane, Jordan and Carol Ferris, and Barry Allen and Iris West; heroes I hadn't seen in years (the Challengers of the Unknown and the Blackhawks), fighting along side Adam Strange, Green Arrow, Aquaman, and even a pre-Atom Ray Palmer; the superhero 'Air Force', with Wonder Woman's invisible airplane, and the Bat-plane and Arrow-plane. Admittedly, many characters don't get much screen time, but with a cast this large, it is understandable (it would be a problem of the ever-growing JLA of the comics, as well).

I have to mention the voice talent involved, as the casting was dead-on! David (TV's 'Angel') Boreanaz as Jordan, Neil Patrick Harris ('Doogie Howser') as Allen, Kyle ('Twin Peaks') MacLachlan as Superman; Lucy ('Xena') Lawless, a PERFECT Wonder Woman, Kyra ('The Closer') Sedgwick as Lois, Brooke Shields as Carol, Vicki Lewis as Iris...this is truly an all-star affair! Two voice performers deserve special recognition; Miguel Ferrer is exceptional as the Martian Manhunter, combining an alien aloofness with compassion; and Jeremy Sisto has, arguably, the BEST voice for Batman I've ever heard...he really IS the Dark Knight!

While I admit Darwyn Cooke's original story far outshines the film (original stories nearly always do), as someone who only sporadically looks at comics, these days, "Justice League" is a fabulous 'blast from the past'.

Thank you, DC!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2008 11:37:30 AM PST
Heywood says:
I also liked Jeremy Sisto as Batman...but you obviously have never seen Batman: The animated Series because Kevin Conroy owns Batman.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2008 7:06:48 PM PST
I have, and enjoy Conroy! But there is a cold growl in Sisto's voice that even Kevin can't match...If I were a bad guy, I'd HATE to hear THAT voice!

Posted on Mar 31, 2008 5:11:10 PM PDT
Sean Pasek says:
I'll admit that Jeremy Sisto was better than I thought, but for me, nobody does a Batman voice better than Kevin Conroy, but I know that's a matter of opinion. Part of the problem for Sisto is that Batman wasn't in this film enough, and consequently, not enough time for Sisto to really showcase the voice.

Posted on Apr 7, 2008 6:04:05 AM PDT
Seventh Son says:
"...in the context of the era, a decade of Communist paranoia, McCarthy witch hunts, ..."
I know this is not related to the item at hand but I get tired of hearing people repeat this horse manure. I suggest you read The Venona Transcripts and Blacklisted By History and then think again before shooting off about Communist paranoia and McCarthy witch hunts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 9:31:07 PM PDT
John Bray says:
I never thought I'd see the day that someone defended McCarthy. Scary stuff.

As for "The new Frontier?" It was a great comic book, and a pretty darn good movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2009 12:14:47 PM PDT
'Haven't seen this film, but I just don't think anyone can outdo Conroy...Hands down. :>)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2010 10:18:02 AM PDT
Keith Goff says:
Conroy is Batman. Hands down.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 5:03:44 PM PDT
Seventh Son is correct. Do a little research. Don't just spout what you've been told.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 2:48:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2010 1:13:07 AM PDT
I first replied to your bit of sarcasm by reminiscing about the paranoia of the time, which, even as a child, I got to experience, because friends of my family lived through it, and I saw their pain. You replied to my comment with still more sarcasm, about my age (below). Which has nothing to do with "Justice League: New Frontier", by the way. Your comments have been rude, insensitive, and totally off-topic, and I have reported you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 4:19:06 PM PDT