Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but equal amount of downsides =/ Wait for eventual revision and more games!, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black (Video Game)
I'm a pretty big video game player, and I've owned most systems to come out of the gate; so I'm speaking from a bit of experience. Unfortunately, the Nintendo 3DS was a good product with substantial flaws and a lackluster launch. I'm going to keep this short but to the point.

Pros:

-3D effect is quite good, and very clear
-Screens are very nice and vibrant, they look great, and the touch on the bottom screen is improved from the DS, seems more accurate, and also responds to touch fairly well at the risk of fingerprints everywhere
-Streetpass meeting of random other Mii's is pretty fun
-Included games and features on the system are fun and impressive, and Find Mii is a pretty good little RPG lite
-Analog nub is a bigger, more comfortable, smoother, better version of the PSP analog nub, absolutely fantastic
-Buttons are clicky and responsive (so is the dpad, not sure if thats a pro or a con, just different at this point)
-Comes with a 2gb SD card, very surprised to see that actually
-Charging cradle is a very nice addition
-Sound quality is good, definitely higher quality than the DS
-Had the black and aqua colors, they look fantastic, the aqua vibrant and the black shimmery from grey to black

Cons:

-Games at launch are not that fantastic, plus there aren't many of them. Some are fun, some are ports (albeit good ones), some are just plain bad
-Battery life is terrible. Using all of the system features is a great experience that is hampered because the battery is unable to keep all those features working for any long amount of time, even the standby mode is short (reminds me of the PSP launch in that regard)
-The 3D "sweet spot" is narrow, not a distance issue, but a tilt issue. For instance playing face raiders in 3D is ridiculous, you will lost the 3D constantly, moving your console around
-The cameras, while good for showing off some 3D photos and playing face raiders, are pretty terrible quality for anything past that
-System feels a little too cheap, seems less solid than my old DS lite and DSi
-Hinge is wobbly; had several friends send in theirs for replacements from Nintendo, made it better, but still wobbly
-Included web browser not enabled till later update supposedly, as are a few features
-Honestly, even with fingers working relatively well on the touch screen, it should be capacitive. The stylus feels dated, you should be able to just thumb at the screen for everything. Also, new stylus placement and need to extend are... odd choices

And that's that. I'm trying to be relatively neutral about this, but I am a bit disappointed I think because I usually expect more from Nintendo on a launch. But, saying that I think this system will be great with a refresh. Like the DS to DS lite, they made a good product great, and I believe it'll be the same here. Another note, backwards compatibly with the DS games is a mixed bag, some people will like it some people won't. It of course doesn't look as good as original DS games, but when you're changing screens and resolutions, thats a given, the fact it's on there is great I think.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2011 2:22:51 PM PDT
T. Hickman says:
You know what.. I agree with your pros and cons. I can tell that you are another adult making a subjective review. I didnt see mentioned a pro that friend codes only have to be entered once and not for every wifi game you get, which is a big step up for Nintendo and a con that there is no chat system in place. For me however, I think that once better software comes out and the big update in May is out that has the web browser, updates, and hopefully Netflix soon after it will be a big improvement, maybe then 4 stars.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 9:30:12 AM PDT
My list of pros and cons would be exactly the same but for a couple of things, like the touch screen for example, I use my fingers on it all the time and it works great. The only reason I use the stylus really is to avoid getting fingerprints all over my purdy new toy. The other thing would be the quality feel, I think it feels pretty solid actually and no hinge wobbles to speak of here.

Great review, too bad I don't read them before I run right out to get the latest gadget!

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 5:45:46 AM PST
W. Petru says:
Thank you for saving me hundreds of $$'s and saving my autistic daughter the frustration of having a game system that might not live up to the hype or her expectations. She often walks briskly thru the house while playing her DSI XL, stopping, turning & going around furniture, all the while playing whatever game she's chosen at that time. If the 3D "sweet spot" is that narrow & sensitive, she may never be able to keep it in "focus" for long. Thanks, I'll wait for the upgrades.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 3:20:41 AM PST
Syrsly says:
I bought a 3DS today, and I can confirm the reviewer's pros and cons, but the web browser is available now.

The web browser sucks. It has a screen-tearing effect, which looks very ugly, and I cannot load pages very quickly. JavaScript is not very well supported, either, but I did not expect good JavaScript support, anyway. I feel that the 3DS sucks for browsing the internet due to how slow it is and the lack of Flash and JavaScript support. If you want such features, get an Android tablet or an iPad. I can also recommend waiting for the PS Vita, which should work much better as a web browsing device.

I also hate that 3DS does not provide GBA compatibility, because I have a lot of GBA games which I would play on occasion, and I do not want to carry around 2 different devices. I bought the 3DS thinking it would have GBA compatibility, so yeah, maybe I should have researched before buying, but honestly, even without such backward compatibility, I am happy with the system overall. It plays Netflix videos very well, and the included software is very impressive.

My recommendations are to wait for the Vita and decide which system has the games you want most. I intend to get a Vita as soon as I can, but after buying a 3DS and some new PC software, I am tapped for a while. If I manage to get a Vita soon, I will make a comparison post, though.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 11:05:12 PM PDT
Playing Face Raiders is completely fine with me. I avoid what you don't and that is to not see the sides of the screen. Simple fix to that, I actually move my body around, not just my hands. I find more fun actually getting into the game than just sitting there twisting my wrists shooting this shooting that. So no, playing Face Raiders is not ridiculous, it's fun.

I have never been a DS fan though I have the Guitar Hero DS, but I really underestimated the 3DS. I only got it to continue playing my favorite game series - Kingdom Hearts - but I was really surprised with everything it had.

Not ONE thing disappointed me. System does not feel cheap to me, hinge is not wobbly, I agree the stylus placement was a new change but nothing to complain about, I can get used to it very fast.

The battery life I already knew was going to be a bit tender if used with all of the 3D functions, and brightness all the way up for hours, obviously the battery will drain. So I always keep my brightness at minimum and use the 3D every now and then. Perfect battery life for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 11:08:14 PM PDT
It isn't that narrow as he explains. It depends on the depth that you set the 3D meter to. I set it midway and it's perfect for me. They tell you to keep the device 10 inches away and so I do. You're daughter won't have any problems by what you just told me, she moves around the house playing her DS. So she doesn't just move her wrists and she won't if she plays the 3DS. I never really absolutely loved any others of the DS branched but absolutely enjoyed the 3DS. You're daughter will to, I suggest getting 1 for her, she can still play her games. I also love how small and bulky the device is, fits nice in my pocket.

Posted on May 9, 2013 12:23:32 PM PDT
Style Savvy says:
I own the device, and I'm sad to admit the pros and cons are very true. But they are real easy to get over. The whole point of the device is to play games you can't play on any other nintendo handheld, and to play them in a new dimension. I say, GET OVER IT AND JUST PLAY WITH IT!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013 12:26:30 PM PDT
Style Savvy says:
Being a child owning the device, I agree with Cristian, here
‹ Previous 1 Next ›