Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Super Automatics Out There for the Price, May 11, 2007
This review is from: DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine (Kitchen)
I have the EAM3200, which is the previous model version. The differences are slight but noticeable to the newer. These machines are the best in class for price and performance, produce a great espresso, and are maintainable in ways that other manufacturers models are not. The coffee from the Delonghi is just as good as from Jura and even some manual models such as Expobar and Rancillo. It is very close to what you find in Italy - not quite, but for the price it is worth it. Great crema, hot temperature, rich flavor. And the best part is you can pull out the brew mechanism and clean it - VERY key. This will ensure sound operation and function for many years.

In order to keep this machine is fine working order, you need to do a bit of upkeep each week and use the right beans.

1. Only use non-oily, 100% Arabica beans. If you use oily beans it will clog frequently and attract rancid flavors. It will also shorten the life of the machine. I use Illy, but any espresso will do (I actually get the Illy dark roast - it has more flavor when brewing a larger "americano" cup).

2. Clean the brew mechanism once a week. Just snap it out and run it under hot water.

3. Use spring water instead of tap water. This will keep any weird flavors from your tap entering the coffee. It may build up minerals, but...

4. De-calcify the machine when it asks for it - don't wait.

I, for one, would rather have manual controls over coffee amount, strength, etc. You are not losing out on anything by not having digital controls - other than not being able to have the machine automatically on and ready to go when you first wake up. As for the other models ability to do milk-based drinks at the touch of a button - how often do you really want a cappuccino? If it is every day, then get the 3500. If you are like me and need real coffee in the morning, then get this model. The milk canister can only sit in the fridge for so long. If you are planning to serve cappuccino at dinner parties, then you are committing Italian heresy - cappuccino is only served in the morning.

CONS

1. The cup warmer does not work very well, but get double walled cups and the temperature of the product will not be an issue.

2. You can't have it turn on automatically at a certain time. But it only takes a few minutes to get up to temperature.

3. It is NOISY.

My espresso settings - coffee amount at 10 o'clock, strength at 3 o'clock, single cup dispense. Super double espresso in an espresso cup. I may have 2 of these on a saturday.

My wife's "americano" settings - coffee amount at 3 o'clock, strength at 3 o'clock, double cup dispense. Full cup of rich coffee in a normal cup.

Bean grind at 5.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2007 9:48:55 AM PST
B. Cribbs says:
Thanks for all that information! It was very helpful; I want to go out and buy one today!

Posted on Mar 19, 2008 9:31:57 AM PDT
I use nothing but beans almost dripping with oil and have never had a problem. You may want to switch to organic beans that are certified to not have any weird coatings or other things on them.

Good review for a great product.

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 6:13:38 PM PDT
Max Ambrosio says:
Thank you..had a Saeco for 10 years...definetly you have to go with the Made in Italy for some Items.....very helpful.

Posted on Aug 11, 2009 7:07:36 AM PDT
RM says:
My 93 year old grandmother owns the ESAM3300 (manual/buttons), and I own the ESAM3500 (digital). We both use somewhat "oily" espresso beans and never had problems with either machine. Good brief review.

We bought my grandmother the ESAM3300 because she wanted something simple to use. She is born & raised in Italy, and used to own a commercial espresso machine in her deli several years ago. She said no residential espresso machine has ever given her the quality cup of coffee that her commercial machine gave her 45 years ago, until now. She loves the "crema" that the machine produces on each and every cup of espresso. I enjoyed it so much, I went out & purchased the ESAM3500 digital machine! It produces the same cup of espresso as my grandmother's ESAM3300. My wife really enjoys the cappuccino/latte it produces. Just add sugar & fresh cinnamon and your done! You really can't get much easier than removing your milk canister from your fridge, inserting it into the machine & pushing one button. That's it. With the ESAM3300, you will need to froth your milk the old fashioned way... manually under the steamer wand. Nevertheless, both machines are excellent choices to which I highly recommend!

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 7:23:31 PM PST
Can one fit a normal sized mug under the espresso dispenser in a DeLonghiDeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine, or do you have to use a smaller receptacle and then transfer the espresso to a mug for a latte or Americano? I am looking to purchase an automatic espresso machine and am trying to determine the differences among the different DeLonghi units; Rialto 4500. Magnifica 3500, and Magnifica 4400. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Ed

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 8:13:54 PM PDT
Melissa says:
I see this review was written in 2007..Do you still have this? and do you still feel the same about it?

I bought this machine last week haven't ran into to many problems. My biggest one I think you answered (tap water)

I'm using starbucks espresso roast beans (I WAS a major starbucks junkie) and sometimes the shots come out having a bitter taste (like asprin) The beans you use, do you have to order them online? or have you found the local (I know we're not in the same city, but I live in a big city so thats why I ask)

Thanks for any feedback!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 1:42:12 PM PDT
I roast my own beans to medium roast and really don't care for dark oily roasted beans but thats a matter of choice. Illy's coffee is very good but pricey and there are many other websites like Sweet Marias that may be cheaper though local roaster will save shipping cost. Stay away from Starburnt espresso beans. Beans lose flavor within a month, so don't hoard beans.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 2:34:57 AM PDT
Catalan says:
Thanks for all the information

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 12:17:07 PM PST
M. Dreher says:
I actually completely agree with your review and coffee settings as well. My brother-in-law has a $2000 Jura machine and he thinks the DeLonghi makes a better cup of coffee. He's had to send the unit in twice to the tune of $250 each time. We've had this unit for two years and it performs like the day we bought it. I hope I just didn't jinx myself!

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 11:35:17 AM PDT
S. Sun says:
I have a questions regarding this machine. Does it just dispense just hot water? Thx
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›