Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 year review, still going strong, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition & Signature Brewers, Single-Cup Brewing System, 60 Ounce, Brown (Kitchen)
I have owned this model now for about 2 years with nothing but joy to report. My unit stays stationary in my kitchen and is moved only to add distilled water about every few days. We brew roughly 2-3 cups a day out of the machine every day. It still functions as it did the day we bought it. After much trial and error we have selected our favorite brands of K-cups and order them in bulk to save on costs. They are even available at some local salvage stores for half the price or more in some cases, which is a win win for us as they really don't go bad, they are all sealed and purged.

The only 3 issues most people have with any of these systems are slow brew and or half cup brew issues, and watery blends. These are very easy to repair by the user and not an alarm to return the product. I spent about 2 minutes fixing both issues after a quick search online where you can find everything up to video to assist you in the process.

First of all, Please run distilled water in your machine. If you choose to run normal tap or filtered water suit yourself but know that you will have to descale the machine on a regular basis to prevent clogging and slower brew or long heating periods. Distilled water comes in gallons and sells for about a buck a jug around here. A jug will usually last us 2 weeks if we brew 2 cups a day. Not a huge investment there.

As for the slow brew, or light brew.. Normally water flows from 3 holes in the top needle that punctures the K-cup itself. Over time coffee grounds will sometimes remain behind in a hole and build up until they dry and seal the hole, diverting water to the other holes. If you remove the black K-cup holder gently and take a toothpick broken in about half or less and locate these holes *careful as the needle is sharp* and just slip the toothpick into each hole you will probably notice that some debris is removed. Once your sure you have it clean simply run a cup or two of water with no coffee in place to finish the clean and you should notice an increase in flow and alike flavor. The way to avoid having this at all is to remove all K-cups just after use and do not forget them in the brewer.

If your having half cup issues, this is almost always air in the system, which can be removed so simply. Just take off the water tank, drain and rinse it if necessary. Check that the screen filter doesn't contain alot of contaminant. Unplug your unit and move it over to the sink. Turn the unit upside down over the sink and give it a few light taps, 5 or 10 good taps while shaking it gently back and forth to remove the air. Then, refill your tank and set it in place, plug the unit back in and brew a couple of cups with no coffee in place, you should see full cups now. The way to avoid this problem is never to fill the tank while brewing is occurring, thus sending the occasional bubble down through the supply line.

As for those who say their blend is watered down or not strong enough, you simply need to try different blends. It's hard to compare a store bought portion to something you make yourself in an automatic drip machine. Your home brew might contain 30% more coffee the way you make it then the K-cup portion due to your personal strength level. I assure you there are plenty of very strong brews on the market if that's your preference. Shop around or buy trial packs to make your decisions! You can even buy single portions of any brew online at various places.

We have loved this system and given them as gifts with this exact set of instructions. No one we have given one to has had any reason to return one yet. I have also NEVER descaled my system, and see no reason to using distilled water. It's as good as the day we bought it 2 years later.

Hope this helps someone who's having issues or not sure about the product. I wouldn't make it very long without my system, now that I have spoiled myself!

********* 4 Year + update:

Unit still performing flawlessly. We have been running the unit with about 50% distilled water and 50% filtered tap water for the last couple of years, as the chore of remembering the distilled gallons sometimes slips our mind. We are also utilizing one of the "My K-Cup" style filter baskets as well on a regular basis without issue. This unit continues to provide at least 2 cups a day reliably. The hinges, fittings, baskets, buttons, display screen, drip tray, and handle continue to remain in great condition.

I have gotten on somewhat of a latte fix lately, and have been successfully able to produce decent 2x strength coffee utilizing my own fine ground espresso blend coffee and the personal cup filters and an 8oz cup setting. Don't be looking for any crema, but the flavor is there. It will brew very slowly if trying this however, be aware.

To highlight something mentioned in the comments below by sojumonkey, Distilled water may result in a less flavorful cup as the result of no mineral content. Because the directions indicate that filtered water is ok, and since I haven't had any issues using filtered water, I would recommend trying filtered water. Perhaps running distilled water every now and again to help clean the unit. Thanks for the added info!

Cheers coffee lovers!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2013 3:52:23 PM PST
I am considering a Keurig and appreciate your share. I will print this for possible trouble-shooting.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 4:44:46 PM PST
I will also print this this review. Thanks for investigating the problems, your solutions make good sense.

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 8:23:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2013 8:24:39 AM PST
Carol says:
Like the last two commenters, I just copied your Review. I plan to buy this Keurig today and wanted to make sure I had a Trouble Shooting Manual. Perhaps, Keurig should copy and paste your review too! Thanks

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 3:48:58 PM PST
Timm says:
Thanks for sharing. Just bought one for my wife. Your troubleshooting guide is a great help and I will follow your advice.

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 12:33:58 PM PST
p. dixson says:
I was looking to buy my fourth keurig today when I followed the instructions of your review. My keurig sounded like at any moment it was going to plunk out. I read the instructions to my husband and he did the work. He said "it works like a new pot." And since this is our third one he is delighted and so am I. Too bad Keurig doesn't give solutions when the power is still working. Thank you you saved me lots of money.

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 12:01:17 PM PST
beecharmer says:
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the K 60 model and this newer version the K 65. What are it's advantages over the earlier model the k 60? I'm printing out your helpful information. Thank you for all the great advice.

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 11:15:01 AM PST
Elise Pragg says:
Thanks so much for your helpful solutions. I am also thinking about getting this Keurig for myself and my mother too(if she doesnt buy it for herself first lol) This will be a great deal of help and maybe Keurig should send you some free coffee for boosting their sales based on your review! Anyway thankyou for taking the time to post this. I am making a copy now.

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 8:49:16 AM PST
what a great review...
is this what you do for living :)

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 9:50:54 AM PDT
Thanks for the advice, went through all your ideas and my 3 month old machine appeared to have air in the line as it was slow (2 minute) or had inconstant fill levels even with k-cup holder removed . drained it, turned it upside down and shook it around for about a minute till all the water was out. plugged it back in filled up with water and now it's back to it's 55 second start to finish brew cycle. times quoted are after it said "ready to brew". excellent!!!

Posted on May 11, 2014 10:45:52 PM PDT
Noah Z says:
I use my Keurig 3-4 times a day. Now that I have it I can't imagine making coffee any other way. I appreciate the information you've shared. I've only had mine for a couple months and have been using tap water, but I'll be buying distilled water from now on. After reading your review I believe it's the best way to keep it running like new....tysvm!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›