5.0 out of 5 stars Homeschooling in a Nutshell, May 6, 2004
This review is from: Homeschooling for Success: How Parents Can Create a Superior Education for Their Child (Paperback)
Written by the founders of Homeschool.com, "Homeschooling for Success" is the most up to date and complete informational book on homeschooling available. It was printed in 2002, and is filled with un-dated viewpoints and findings that I could really sink my teeth into.
The forward is written by Robert Kiyosaki, author of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", who reveals that he was homeschooled by his school administrator father after he flunked out of school. This is the kind of information and reassurance I have been looking for. The book starts out with a real life example of what homeschooling can do for a person,as this man is now a famous and successful author and speaker, in spite of how the schools evaluated him.
The authors Rebecca Kochenderfer and Elizabeth Kanna have filled this book with all of the homeschooling resources known to man (also found on their website homeschool.com), as well as insight on learning styles and different kinds of intelligences to help a parent figure out which kind of homeschooling style, would best suite their child.
It gives advice on homeschooling at different age levels, as well as College and Un-college alternatives as well. Most importantly to me, it has a chapter called "Click Learning", which I felt was written especially for my family. My children have been using the computer since they were 18 months and I used it to help each child to read when the schools way merely frustrated them.
Finally the book ends with a chapter on "Why every Parent Should Consider Homeschooling". It was more based on emotional and religious reasons and thus fell short of giving me a good reason to homeschool as I am looking for academic excellence for my children in a loving environment. So although I already know I am going to start homeschooling soon, I still found the final chapter unconvincing.
All in all, the book is excellent. Having already devoured dozens of books and articles on homeschooling, this book kept me intrigued enough to read every single word as if it were the first homeschooling book I picked up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2007 5:29:02 AM PDT
MWT says:
As a homeschooler mom, I know how tough the decision can be to make your move and homeschool. The first year I bought everything in site, and more. We all have our own choices of why we homeschool. Homeschooling choices are not based on just religion anymore like most people think when you first mention you are homeschooling. Agreed, you know what is going on with your child. You have a one on one chance to see what are their weaknesses. I too was afraid they would fall behind academically but just the opposite has occured. They have blossomed! Without some negative influences that were happening inside the school itself, they could be home relaxed and ready to accept the challenge from someone they can trust. You also wonder, how long should I be spending a day? Its amazing the time that is saved in a childs school day when they dont have to wait around to get help. We can cover many subjects in a 3 hour time frame. With all that being said another great thing is safety, with all the bad things you hear about in the news these days, it seems our #1 challenge is just having the kids grow up safely. Financially it can be a struggle, but well worth the outcome. Good luck, relax and have fun!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

$19.99 $18.88