43 of 46 people found the following review helpful
Loads of Industry Information!,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Digital Textile Design: Portfolio Skills (Portfolio Skills: Fashion & Textiles) (Paperback)This book contains a plethora of wonderful information ranging from current and future textile industry printing techniques and technical knowledge, to a range of Photoshop and Illustrator tutorials with a focus on creating textile patterns.
It a must read for anyone interested in the textile industry, printing techniques and wants to learn how to put patterns into repeat in Photoshop and Illustrator. I would recommend though that you have a standard knowledge of Illustrator and Photoshop in order to follow along with the tutorials. For more experienced Textile Designers who currently work in these programs and in the industry, the tutorials will likely be things you already know. There is however so much wonderful industry information, that I found it quite engaging, and learned quite a bit, even with being in the industry for over 10 years.
Below is more in-depth information regarding what's inside in order to help you decide if it is the book for you.
CHAPTER 1: Textile Design and Print in the Digital Age
This chapter introduces and explains digital printing in the fashion industry.
CHAPTER 2: Digital Design Tutorials
* Tutorial 1: Using Filters in Photoshop
* Tutorial 2: Creating Complex Color Blends (Illustrator)
* Tutorial 3: Building Floral Motifs ( (Illustrator)
* Tutorial 4: Cross-stitch Effects (Illustrator)
* Tutorial 5: Engineered Prints (Photoshop)
* Tutorial 6: Sequin Effects (Photoshop)
* Tutorial 7: Photomontage (Photoshop)
* Tutorial 8: Building a Brush Palette (Photoshop)
* Tutorial 9: Textured Effects (Photoshop)
* Tutorial 10: Creating a Color Palette (Photoshop)
CHAPTER 3: Patterns and Repeats
* Tutorial 11: Photoshop Basic Block Repeat
* Tutorial 12: Photoshop Block Repeat with Offset Filter
* Tutorial 13: Photoshop Simple Half-Drop Motif
* Tutorial 14: Photoshop Half-Drop Repeat
* Tutorial 15: Photoshop Gingham
* Tutorial 16: Photoshop Creating Stripes
* Tutorial 17: Illustrator Basic Pattern Swatch
* Tutorial 18: Illustrator Diamond Pattern
* Tutorial 19: Illustrator Plaid Patterns
* Tutorial 20: Illustrator Half-Drop
CHAPTER 4: Introduction to Illustration
* Tutorial 21: Texture-Mapping with the Pen Tool
* Tutorial 22: Texture-Map and Line Drawing
* Tutorial 23: Creating Graphic Silhouettes
CHAPTER 5: Digital Craft
This chapter includes information on combining digital techniques with traditional artistic methods. For example, hand painting & digital print, screen printing & digital print, foiling & flocking with digital print, digital print onto vintage fabrics, and many more. There are also Designer Profiles on Patricia Belford, Helen Amy Murray and Rebecca Earley.
CHAPTER 6: Technology for Digital Textile Printing
This chapter covers textile printing methods and technology for both traditional and digital printing. There is also a little bit of information regarding CAD software options, and how to work with color with regards to color management.
This book contains very well-rounded information for the Textile Designer and regarding the fashion industry. I highly recommend this book!