Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you don't Sweat!, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8 GB Silver (6th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Woke up a few weeks back and got my new Ipod Nano 6th gen to start my morning jog. However, to my surprize afer a full nights charge it wouldnt turn on! "Okay, no problem, I'll just call the tech support"...

After spending over 2 hours with them on the phone, and trying everything we could, they advised me to take my Ipod into a store where they would see what could be done... After all, I still had 8 months of my warranty! To cut a long story short, as soon as they looked at my Ipod I was asked the following question: "Sir, has the device been in contact with liquid?" - "No" I said... - "What about sweat?"... Man, once I heard that question, I just couldn't believe my ears!!! Of course there is going to be some contact with sweat! I bought the device to go jogging with it! One would imagine that the all mighty Apple would have that one covered right!!! NOPE... Apparently we cannot sweat if we exercise with an Ipod 6th Gen. Or at least that was what was informed to me at the store.

Now, Im about $180,00 short (after you add all the accessories I bought for it!Silly me!!!!) and with Apple slamming the door on my face! As they were totally relunctant to give me further assistance or even collect the device to have it inspected!!!

I live in a humid place, but only used the Ipod at the gym (which is air conditioned), so I would really like to get a position from Apple about this, as I feel utterly cheated by them...

Well fokes, that's my tip... If u sweat when exercising, make sure to buy another MP3 player as I wouldn't want someone else going through what I just did.

My next MP3 player will be an inexpensive chinese one. As if it stops working after 3 months due to sweat, I'll still be on the win...

I demand that Apple at least takes the device in and have a look at it as to give me a position of what has happened! I seen Nokias be dropped in the toilet and work the next day, how can a bit of sweat destroy an Ipod which is designed for joggers?!?!?!?!

Cheers!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2012 4:56:11 PM PST
Azuleelan says:

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 6:46:00 AM PDT
RJM says:
I agree with Paul. I had the same issue and essentially paid for the nano twice. I did add a cover and that has been effective thus far.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 11:28:32 AM PST
Brian Buresh says:
Nothing new here... pretty much every phone and mobile device is VERY easily damaged by liquid. Warranty doesn't cover liquid damage, this is clearly stated in the warranty. Not sure what you expected them to do...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2014 6:47:25 AM PST
Se Lee says:
" It's portable and wearable, which makes it runnable, walkable, and workout-able. Clip it on and control your music with just a tap or swipe of a finger, so you can stay focused without fumbling around. For your run, walk, or trip to the gym, a little iPod nano goes a long way."

I think the point the reviewer is making is that one of the item's big selling point is that it is workout friendly. If they are going to advertise it that way, the product should be able to handle a little bit of sweat. It is not like he went swimming with it or danced around in a downpour.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2014 2:39:53 AM PST
GDief says:
I fully agree with SE Lee and disagree in point at Brian's comment. Brian is correct that the Apple products should not come in contact with water, however as stated by SE Lee this product should handle a little sweat. Again it's sold as a work out friendly device. I have one on my motorcycle that I use and is in a water proff area. I was also thinking of using it for work outs myself as it is ultra transportable. I think I'll check out my sons iPod touch now for the work outs

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 1:05:33 PM PDT
John K. says:
Totally agree...same thing happened to me. Note to Apple engineers....I pods will be on sweaty people..PLEASE>

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 9:55:30 AM PDT
Caelis says:
You can easily buy a silicone/rubber case for the Nano that protects all/most of the ports from sweat and other liquids. I agree that the Nano, at it's price, should be at least a little sweat/water-resistant seeing as it's geared for workouts, however- saying that the Nano is basically junk because it didn't work after being coated in sweat isn't very realistic at all. Apple in no way states that the Nano is water resistant, so anyone who might naturally sweat all over their electrical device should either take extra precautions to ensure the safety of something they paid so much for, or find a water-resistant device.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›