5.0 out of 5 stars deeply philosophical, but also accessible, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Why Jesus?: Rediscovering His Truth in an Age of Mass Marketed Spirituality (Hardcover)
This book was not what I had expected. I am ashamed to admit this because it points out just how narrow-minded my personal, American world-view really is. When I received a review copy of this book, I thought I would be reading about how the American church has watered down and legalized the message of Christ to something unsatisfying and unpalatable. While this is part of the book, I'd say the majority of it is pointing out how Christ is the only way among many world religions and directly attacks the new movement of spirituality. I am not familiar with Deepak Chopra, but I would say 60% of this book is a rebuttal to his particular worldview.

Because he was born in India, raised a Hindu and later converted to Christianity- along with his vast traveling throughout the globe, Ravi is able speak candidly in a way that is sharp and unapologetic, yet still above criticism of a narrow mind. He is respectful and even loving, but also far from politically correct. He even says: "I have been fairly blunt because I want readers to be brutally honest with themselves." (p. 230)
Early on he points out how television has changed our culture and even attacks, yes attacks, Oprah of all people. I mean, who doesn't like her? I was surprised, and my preconditioned - "try not to be offensive to anyone ever"- mentality was shaken. But as I continued to read, I began to understand why he would bother with Oprah or her philosophy. He explains that it is rationally "impossible to sustain truth without excluding falsehood. All religions are exclusive." He shows us how this is true and has a great understanding of Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and other world religions.

I love the message of Christ, and the "good news," which it really is! I have never read a philosophy book that was so excited about God's love, and this book is definitely that. You can love God, Jesus and the Bible and not throw reason out the window. This book is not light reading but it is clear that Ravi loves Christ and is passionate about His truth. He says: "the message of Jesus is beautiful and magnificent and life-changing... Spirituality is not good enough. Jesus proclaims the truth- that is why it must exclude all that is contrary to it... his message bridges the greatest gulf within us- that is why it is relevant even today. (p. 269)

I will definitely read more of Ravi Zacharias' work. I have been a Christian for a long time, but I haven't been exposed to the gods of other world religions like I was in this book. I never fully understood how loving and gracious the God of the Bible is compared to the others. I will leave you with two, out of the many quotes I could have chosen, to show this point:

"...Belief in the equal value of every life is a bequest only of the Christian faith." (p. 106)

"God alone knows how to humble us without humiliating us and how to exalt us without flattering us... this is the grand truth of the Christian message" (p. 59)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2012 4:19:26 AM PST
I appreciated your review and I would strongly encourage you to follow through on your expressed desire to more of Dr. Zacharias' writing. As a long time student of his I will attest that everything he has written is well worth your time, but I would highly recommend "Can Man Live Without God?" and "The Cries of the Heart." Both quite excellent. Happy reading!

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:07:55 AM PST
Greetings,
I too have read almost every book Ravi Zacharias has written (and look forward to reading this new one soon) and highly recommend his writings (and his audio, which is online). He is highly intelligent, but still has a heart sold out to Jesus. You won't regret reading his other books.
Yours in Christ,
Robert

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 9:28:55 PM PST
M. Fuller says:
Thank you for the suggestions... I definitely will!

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 7:39:12 AM PST
S. White says:
I have been a long time student of comparative religion, my wife is Indian/Hindu and I am a non practicing Christian. Having said this, all through my life I listen intently to many ministries and sermons because I love the message. Today whilst driving home I flicked on the radio and landed in the midst of a sermon by Ravi, I was riveted! The passion, intelligence and no nonsense style of speaking had me in a vice like grip of listening ... I know the good stuff when I hear it. I made sure to listen as the end for who this man was and that led me to this book. I will be planning to buy a copy and will be looking for more sermons by Ravi Zachariah.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 7:46:40 AM PST
D1611 says:
I am very curious, S. White, the term "Christian", means Christlike...how can one be a 'non-practicing Christian'. Isn't that like saying "I am unlike Christ...Christlike?" I am curious as to why you think 1) you are Christian, 2) what do you consider a 'non-practicing Christian'?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 2:37:41 PM PST
S. White says:
You'll have to remain curious ... life's to short for pointless discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 1:29:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2012 8:12:38 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 1:34:52 PM PST
S. White says:
Nice try, I won't be drawn - live with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 2:32:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2012 8:12:31 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 2:52:27 PM PST
S. White says:
And yet with knowing so little you are so full of judgement - I'd take a long hard look at yourself in relation to your faith before judging others. I have no interest in defining my sense of Christianity and Faith to a complete stranger in this format - that is what is pointless - to what end would I do this? Who cares? Live your life and be happy ...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›