2.0 out of 5 stars Honestly not worth it, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab (7-inch, 16GB, Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
This was my first Android device. Probably won't be the last, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I ended up returning the Tab after a few weeks with it. The problems were numerous.

1.) This is the most egregious. The Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi is dramatically lower spec'd than its 3G counterparts. Therefore, every review you can find online does not apply. It has an older generation processor (Arm v7 vs. Arm v8), the graphics processor is also a generation behind and dramatically lower in speed (530 vs. the 540). What does this mean to non tech geeks? The buttery smooth performance you see in reviews for the earlier Tabs is replaced by slow scrolling in webpages, the homescreen taking several seconds to work when you rotate the device, and games simply not working. I couldn't believe Samsung would completely cripple the device like this but a casual glance at the product page produces this gem "features and specifications subject to change without prior notification". It is absolutely insane a major tech company has that disclaimer on a product page, and the fact they don't advertise the radical difference between the devices is shameful.

2.) Another major consequence is one of the coolest features of the 3G Tabs is not present here, HDMI out. HDMI out does not work on the Wi-Fi only version. Probably a result of Sammy putting the Wi-Fi only Tab a generation behind the 3G version.

3.) Finally, this really cemented my decision to return it. I can handle the inferior performance, grudgingly, but I can take it. I can't handle the fact that this device is Wi-Fi only and it doesn't properly connect to Wi-Fi. When I first got the device I had trouble connecting it to networks. After resetting it like 5 times and assigning a static IP address to it, it finally randomly worked. Then, after a couple of weeks and no change on my part I got the same connection problems! Now, after a few more resets, I finally had it. Less you think its just me, google Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi problems and marvel at how widespread they are.

Simply put, Samsung is launching new tablets next month (June 8th), and they've clearly given up on the current Tab despite it launching only a couple of weeks ago. Save your money and wait, I promise you this device will only bring frustration.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2011 1:10:22 PM PDT
Adam,
Sorry to hear your having so many problems. I've had mine for a few weeks as well. Yes it's not the fast tablet out there but it gets the job done for me. IE access, email, tons of apps, and movies loaded on my sd card. No issues with Wifi. I have it connected at home, work, friends house; No issues. I have also tested it at Starbucks, Mcdonalds, DD and several other spots offering free wifi without any dropouts. Beats carrying around a laptop just for basic tasks, I dont own a smart phone.

Trust me when the Galaxy 8.9 comes around (I believe in the summer) I'm going to consider it and this one maybe handed down to the wife or kids... If the price is right.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 1:16:17 PM PDT
Adam says:
Glad it works for you, but google doesn't lie, its a well documented issue. And as for not being the fastest, with dual core tablets being the norm, that was a given. What was not a given was that they would throw in an outdated CPU and GPU from the model they released several months earlier without letting consumers know.

As I mentioned, the 8.9 launches in a few weeks, June 8th to be exact, and it should retail for near $450. To me, thats well worth the extra bill to have something that isn't outdated for 2009 standards.

Posted on May 30, 2011 7:10:19 PM PDT
Thank you for your honest review of this product. I plan to purchase a tablet but I'll wait for the second and maybe even third generation models to be released before I take the plunge.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 1:03:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 20, 2011 4:12:40 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:07:29 AM PDT
Adam says:
So my review is saying don't buy the WiFi version because its a gimped 3G version, you then say you're gonna buy the 3G version yet you say my review hasn't changed your mind. I have no idea what point you were trying to make, but good job!

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 7:33:52 AM PDT
Thanks for the helpful review. For those who don't know i, that Cortex A8, isn't a shabby CPU - sure it's superceded already by dual core cpu's nowadays.

But an A7? Wow, I had no idea they were doing this to the wi-fi version - might as well buy a cheap whitebox tablet on e-bay for $150 than to buy this Samsung Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi.
I guess if I buy a Galaxy Tab, then I must buy the 3g version.

But look, Samsung also has a long history of dropping support for older products. There is no guarantee you'll get Android updates for the Samsung in the future.
It isn't like the PC world where Microsoft releases a new version of windows for just about any pc ever made. You are beholden to the manufacturer to release those updates and Samsung just doesn't have a good reputation in this regard.

I am just not going to buy an Android tablet, until one comes out with at least android 3.1 - or perhaps even wait for the update known as "ice cream sandwich"

I want 7" form factor - that form factor is more portable. I love the iPad, but its so big, I don't really carry it around with me - I'm not going to be in the grocery and say, hey I wonder if Kroger has strawberries on sale, let me check my iPad - lol..... Apple people love the iPad, but the truth of the matter is when they need the iPad - its sitting at home on their coffee table, because its too dang big.

Right now, there just doesn't seem to be a great 7" tablet on the market - oddly the Playbook from RIM is probably the best, although it has problems of its own (lack of apps)>

I'm just going to continue to wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 4:48:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2011 4:49:18 AM PDT
Jamesarr says:
re: S. Quan. I didn't get that either. Like the whole purpose of your post was to pull a Jedi mind-trick on him.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 2:26:40 AM PDT
Mahmood Alim says:
Hi,

I have a few quick questions about the GPS function of this device

how is it? is it working fine and fast?
does it work for anywhere in the USA?
Do i need to buy or download anything extra in order to use the GPS?

thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 4:14:06 PM PDT
White Lotus says:
I was having a bad day, it's deleted. :)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 11:26:27 AM PDT
jim says:
I THINK that ADAM is incorrect re: hdmi being on the 3g tablet????
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (288 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $119.75