4.0 out of 5 stars Two Big Drawbacks, June 22, 2010
This review is from: Duracell myGrid Starter Kit for Apple iPhone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was very excited to get this item because between the kids and me we have an iPhone and two iPod Touch units. I was thrilled to see I could buy skins to fit the iPod Touch units and use them on this charger (as opposed to it just being for the iPhone) and thought this would make charging much easier than trying to plug one unit in for awhile and remembering to come back later to switch over to another one.

The setup couldn't be easier. You simply place the skin over the phone, plug the charger into the wall, and lay the phone on the charger. It immediately connected and started charging. The phone charged quickly and fully with no problems at all. I have no complaints at all with the functionality of the charger.

So, the two big drawbacks... I have an iFrogz case that I love as do both the kids (we actually know which iPod Touch belongs to which child based on the iFrogz color). To use the charger, you have to remove any existing case and use the Duracel skin instead. The second drawback is that to synch your phone, you have to remove the skin to be able to plug in the cord to connect to the computer.

If you are okay with using the Duracel skin all the time and the synch issue doesn't bother you, this would be a great device. It works perfect and does everything it claims to do. But, those two usability issues will bother a lot of people.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2010 6:32:47 AM PST
LISA THORSON says:
Thank you for the review. I had a feeling that in order to use the grid properly I would have to remove my favorite skin from my cell phone and use the Duracel skin instead. Don't like removing it to synch either!

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 7:02:04 AM PST
Hopefully in the future Duracell will come out with different color skins.

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 9:52:38 PM PST
K. Dunn says:
This was very helpfull. I saw the comercial and thought this would be great - until I read you have to remove the skin to sync. This is unacceptable and I'm glad I found out first.

Many thanks for the review!

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 11:00:31 AM PST
Thanks D. Hardaway! Your review was very helpful! I intended this as a gift for my husband who is a "plug-in-and-forget-it gadget" type guy. In other words, he prefers the least complicated of electronic accessories and gadgetry. I am so glad I took time to read your review!

Merry Christmas!

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 12:59:29 PM PDT
BBmax50 says:
I get the thing about syncing, but were you looking for a cover that goes over your existing cover?

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:40:59 PM PST
W. Alderson says:
IOS 5 and wi-fi syncing eliminates tether to computer for syncing purposes, right? For me those two issues are no problem. Think functionality. Would you rather have a pretty iphone with your favorite skin and a dead battery or, well, you know . . . Don't have the item yet, and maybe will change my tune after I own it, but for now, it's worth the potential hassel to lay down $80 to buy one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›