4.0 out of 5 stars I recieved it today!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite, Touch, or Keyboard) (Accessory)
I have had the Kindle Keyboard with it's lighted cover and now I have the new Kindle with lighted cover. I will briefly compare them and then list the pros and cons of this cover.

In comparison:
-The kindle keyboard in the cover is much heavier than the new kindle in it's cover. The new case does a much better job of securing the kindle as well, it is no longer hinged only on one edge, but instead it is form fit inside of a rigid rubber shell that attaches to the back of the new kindle

-The lighting is about the same between both cases, but where the old case lit the screen from the top right corner, the new case lights the screen from the top middle.

-I feel like the old light mechanism was more durable. The light bar on this cover is made out of very stiff, thin plastic instead of the thick rubbery plastic that contained the light on the old cover. It also hinges open instead of pulling out of the case, and the hinge feels subpar.

-The light on the new case is less angled and tends to get in my eyes more when reading than the old kindle keyboard case did.

All in all I still like the new case. It fits the new kindle very well and does not increase the size or weight very much. The leather is somewhat thin but not horribly so and it looks sleek on the kindle. I will be keeping this case.

Pros:
Compact case that looks very sleek
Tight and secure fit
Uses the Kindle's batteries so no additional power is needed.
Provides adequate lighting across the entire screen.

Cons:
Lightbar hinge seems very cheap.

Since I only received this today, I cannot yet evaluate the additional drain that this case will place on the Kindle's battery. I will update after I've gone through a few charges.

P.S. - I'd like to add that people complaining about the availability / delay in shipping of this product need to stop. It does not at all reflect the quality of the device, yet all of the negative ratings based on delayed shipments make the product look horrible when it is in fact very nice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2011 4:38:17 AM PST
T.H. says:
People are giving it low reviews not so much because of delayed shipping but the refusal of amazon to give any updated information on the product. I feel those reviews are justified as that is an important detail people should know before purchasing a product. For instance I placed this order two months ago. After a month without an estimated shipping date I contacted amazon wondering if my case would be delayed weeks or months so I could at least make a decision to cancel and find something else. Amazon refused to give any information or estimate as to how long of a wait this could be. This is not a product from another manufactor! This is amazon's product! People were very annoyed with amazon for this reason.

When I have the case I will gladly update my review as I am sure most other reviewer will also but at the time those reviews were justified and contained needed information for other people considering making a purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 4:34:22 PM PST
NV Rick says:
Your response is silly. These reviews are to reflect the quality of the product, not the manufacturer or time of delivery.
There are other places to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 10:26:25 AM PST
Anonymous says:
I disagree, NV Rick. The ratings are used to decide whether or not to purchase a product. If someone was thinking of buying this product to give as a Christmas gift, for instance, they absolutely need to know that the delivery information on this particular product was changed several times and then non-existent for a while. I've read that the product was originally listed as being available at the end of October. I know that when I first saw it, it was listed as releasing November 15. Then it changed to "out of stock" and no information was available about deliveries for several weeks. Again, this information can be essential when deciding whether to purchase the product if it is needed by a particular date. It's especially troubling because this is Amazon's own product, and they are usually very good with customer service and information regarding their products.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 10:14:56 PM PST
EarthGirl says:
"The ratings are used to decide whether or not to purchase a product." absolutely!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›