5.0 out of 5 stars The full disclosure you ought to get..., May 9, 2009
This review is from: The Unhealthy Truth: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick - And What We Can Do About It (Hardcover)
As someone with a corn allergy/intolerance I'm already disillusioned with the "system". FAAN isn't what they seem to be and the people who feed us are in it for the money.

But, somehow, I've always believed that it couldn't be "that" bad. I mean, the government DOES have regulations. Right?

This book, written as a description of the author's research discoveries and journey out of food ignorance bliss, is even more alarming from it's first person tone. It isn't written by an expert. It's written by a Mom who just started out looking for answers for her child and found herself in the middle of something bigger.

This is a wake up call for all of us. We know about GMO, and petrochemicals and hormones in our food supply. Many of us worry about them, but let them take a back burner to little league and homework and deadlines. Reading some of Robyn's discoveries makes one realize that we need to re-evaluate our priorities, and vote with our personal choices. She also offers good advice on starting the journey away from "norm" with simple steps on getting started on life without GMO or additives, and a low pressure reassurance that no one is perfect...all you can do is aim for improvement.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2009 10:21:49 AM PDT
Tom Spear says:
What does FAAN mean?

Posted on Aug 4, 2009 1:00:00 PM PDT
Ugh, I'm also allergic to corn. Corn allergies are becoming more and more prevalent, and yet the government continues to subsidize corn, and the manufacturers continue to put it in *everything*. I'm so picking up this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2009 9:08:26 AM PDT
Wayward says:
John,
FAAN stands for "Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network".

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:19:32 AM PDT
SimplyFresh says:
Could you give me some help on your corn allergy? My two year old is off of gluten/dairy/most soy/ and a few misc. items that don't seem to agree and we are still having problems with her bowels. I keep wondering if it is corn but allergy tests say she has NO allergies....but let me tell you they couldn't be farther off base....I mean we get anything from hives to insomnia....anyway if you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate your wisdom in this. Thank you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 12:19:20 PM PDT
Of course! I'm far from an expert, but I have plenty of first hand knowledge and I've read a lot. My corn allergy oddly doesn't bother my digestive system, but everyone can react differently. My doc says the blood test for corn allergy came back negative, but the RAST (skin test) made the corn spot swell my entire arm up. I don't know how they test two year olds, the blood test is supposedly definitive, but RAST will catch 'sensitivities' (which can be just as bad but are medically different I think, in that they won't cause anaphalaxys). Prior to this, I also did an elimination diet and food journal.

Part of the problem is a. the protein is what causes the allergy. Some foods break down the protein when cooked, like tomatoes. Not the case with corn. and b. Since corn is used in fillers/thickeners like maltodextrin, it's ground up or whatever, so it acts concentrated. You may want to have a look here for corn products that could be bothersome to your child: http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php Since corn isn't a top ten allergy, the government doesn't require corn derivatives be labeled as such. I can't even handle a lot of packaging like shipping boxes because they're often coated with a non-stick material containing a cornstarch type derivative, and my hands almost immediately break out in hives.

So... that's my experience. I didn't develop my allergy until my teens, and I've been pretty self-sufficient at avoiding what bothers me. I can't even imagine being a parent of a child with such an extensive allergy... I wish you luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 1:29:55 PM PDT
Wayward says:
Hi Allison,
My allergist originally told me that our bodies trump allergy tests every time. So; use allergy tests as a guideline when you're having trouble pinning something down but if you suspect an item, then try an elimination then challenge it. Keep a careful food diary during that process, so that you can't argue yourself out of your observations.
You might want to try looking into the GAPS diet, or Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet or the Paleo diet for some good grain free recipe ideas. Corn derivatives are incidious though. And since corn can be organic, there isn't an 'easy' out. Start by focusing on fresh foods, and small ingredient lists. Copy the list taht Kimberly linked to, it's helpful at first. I find that now I just don't ingest most things that I can't name and visualize the source of. Vitamins, enriched flours, and supplements are common things that slip through the allergy radar. Personal care products like soap and toothpaste need to be considered, too. Especially for toddlers who still swallow everything! Reimagine your life, eating out gets hard or impossible but you stop missing it. Focus on a few small safe treats, a few easy, tasty comfort meals and then build from there. Look for Kosher for Passover, since most of those foods are grain and soy free or will label corn derivatives.
There are a few good online support groups, too. Find one that you 'click' with. I wish that there was more knowledge in the medical community.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 2:45:49 PM PDT
SimplyFresh says:
Thank you for the information/links/and encouragement too! It has been a long road, but slowly but surely she is getting healthier by the day and we finally have about half a dozen words!!!! I think we will be trying an elimination diet...although I will definitely need to put all of the corn item in bags for now, because it is in EVERYTHING, especially the gluten free items!!!
Blessings