Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Reluctantly Switched From Bluetooth, August 29, 2009
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac (Personal Computers)
I was very resistant to buy this mouse because I have only bought Bluetooth mice since 2002. But mouse manufacturers are clueless to our needs and so I was forced to switch.

And man am I glad I did.

This mouse is worth it to overlook the ultra-tiny receiver. It is oh so smooth and uncommonly comfortable. I bought the Microsoft mouse about three weeks ago and my forearm and hand have been aching ever since. It was the first non-ergonomic mouse, designed to be symmetrical for both right and left handed users, that I have used in many years and using it was downright painful. I also have the Apple mouse which suffers from the same design flaw. The Performance MX, by comparison, puts very little strain on my hand and arm, and the groove where my thumb sits not only feels terrific, it also provides greater control.

I will never buy a symmetrical mouse again.

The kit that comes with it is smart and useful. The recharging cable is Micro-USB so when the mouse battery dies, you just plug one end into your mouse and the other into your computer, and use it like a corded mouse while it charges. Also, it comes with a Wall-to-USB adapter so you can charge the mouse in the wall if you don't have an extra USB slot available. This means I can still use the mouse while it is charging from the computer or the wall. Very handy! My previous mice had charging stands and if the battery died, I couldn't use them again until they charged. Logitech also included a USB extension cable to help desktop users reposition the USB receiver and a handy little bag to hold the power plug and cords for us notebook users. All in all, a very thoughtful kit!

I am using this with a MacBook Pro and it had 3-button functionality right out of the gate without installing drivers. The USB receiver itself is very small. It's even smaller than the magsafe power adapter head. Time will tell if I can safely keep it in the notebook while I place the computer in and out of it's neoprene sleeve, but I don't anticipate this being a problem.

Do I wish this was a bluetooth mouse? Absolutely. But it is more comfortable than any Bluetooth mouse on the market, it moves the pointer with more fluidity, smoothness, and accuracy than any Bluetooth mouse on the market, and as much as I have enjoyed not dealing with receivers over the past 7 years... the total package provided by this mouse more than makes up for the fact that it isn't Bluetooth.

I highly recommend it.

! -- UPDATE -- !

OK... 3 years later and I still use this mouse. I own 3 of them! One for my work desk. One for my home desk. And one for my computer bag. I own a MacBook Pro with Retina. The receiver never leaves the USB port and I never notice it, even though I'm throwing my computer in and out of my bag multiple times a day. Still great!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2009 11:46:54 AM PDT
Bob v2.0 says:
Did you happen to try this mouse on glass?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 5:57:53 AM PDT
Bob:

I do not have access to a glass table-top, however I just gave it a try on the glass window in this room and it appeared to work flawlessly. Google this: Logitech Performance MX Gizmodo. You'll see the guys at Gizmodo did a similar test.

peace | dewde

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 7:28:28 AM PDT
Thanks for your review. It's really quite informative.

How heavy is the mouse to push around? I normally get a bit fatigued with heavy mice, such as wireless ones that take 2 AA batteries rather than 1 AAA battery.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 8:01:21 AM PDT
I'm not a great one to comment on that since I've only used wireless mice since ~2002 or so. My hand is just used to them. So take this advice with that in mind.

It doesn't feel any lighter or heavier than the Logitech MX1100, Microsoft 8000, or Apple Mighty Mouse sitting here at my desk. But, the Microsoft mouse caused strain on my forearm even though it weighs the same. I think if you are going to get a wireless mouse, and you are sensitive to the weight, then do yourself a favor and get an ergonomic one that is contoured to your hand (even if it isn't *this* one).

The weight impact is minimized by the fact that you don't have to squeeze and grip, the contours help create a natural grip, then you just use leverage to move the mouse around.

It really makes a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 4:42:18 PM PDT
Bob v2.0 says:
Thanks for trying it on the window. That is above and beyond and just a little amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 9:02:00 PM PDT
No problem, man. This is quite a leap forward. It seems like only yesterday I could hardly get my corded, ball and socket mouse to work on my mousepad!

peace | dewde

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2009 10:53:08 AM PDT
Thanks also for your replies to our follow-up questions. It's a bit of a stretch for most of us to consider plunking down $100 for a mouse, but it really helps having someone who actually owns one to ask our questions. Thank you!

Posted on Sep 9, 2009 2:15:51 PM PDT
Hey Cornwallis,

Do the Mac drivers allow you to disable OS X's native acceleration? The main problem I have had with mice on my Macbook Pro is the acceleration curve for mice is so broken compared to that of the touchpad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 8:39:33 AM PST
Hoot says:
I use my mouse on a made for computer mouse glass mouse mat and it works flawlessly. I always add Teflon mouse feet to the underside of any mouse I use. This mouse skates easily over the glass mouse mat on top of the Teflon feet.

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 8:56:02 AM PST
Wayne says:
The moment this mouse comes out with Bluetooth functionality, I will buy it right away.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›