Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story. Okay gameplay., May 20, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: L.A. Noire - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This took me a three days to finish. There may be some very minor spoilers in this review. I made a lot of mistakes that hurt my enjoyment of the game, so maybe I can help someone.

STORY -- I thought the story was superb. The opening story in Homicide was especially strong, and initially I thought the game was going to end there. Homicide is pretty much the front half, with Vice and Arson as the back half. On the story, though, Newspapers give vital videos, and I didn't notice the "(X) for more" while holding a newspaper until I got to Vice. The newspapers give very interesting plot twists. Lots of character-motivated surprises in the course of this noir.

ACTING -- Also superb. I can't think of any character I found uninteresting throughout the game. I wound up arresting some of my favorite character actors. If you're interested in a long, excellent film noir, then you'll like this.

INVESTIGATIONS -- Walk around, try to find buzzes. These were interesting, but I don't think they will challenge many people. Note -- All of the scenes in Homicide, Vice, and Arson involve examining dead people, and many are nude and/or badly damaged. The police do act respectfully throughout.

INTERROGATIONS -- A weak point for me. In the Phoenix Wright series, you'll get multiple chances to ask a question, or to present evidence. Here, though, one mistake anywhere will lock out portions of the story. It doesn't end the story, but if you want to see what you missed, you need to restart that chapter. You can use Intuition points to remove a bad choice, but invariably the game removes a choice that is obviously wrong. I only got 10 intuition points for the entire game, far too few. When a person is accuse of a Lie, you must back up with evidence, but sometimes there are several pieces that might fit. Truth, Doubt, or Lie -- in the really vital investigations, I was often guessing. In the routine interrogations, the body language of the actors is *much* easier to read.

CAR CHASES -- I liked the chases at the start of the game. Late in the game, many surprise hard turns are thrown at you, and you'll need to restart the chase if you miss one. Fortunately, they could be skipped. When Tailing someone, there was often a lot of tricky maneuvering, and it was very easy to accidentally touch the left joystick too hard to turn on the siren. They should have disabled the siren during Tail scenarios. There are a couple of Escort and Escape scenes, and those I liked a lot. The many hard turn chases, not so much.

FOOT CHASES -- My thumbs would get sore during many of these. And when almost done, some extra gotcha would force me to restart.

GUNFIGHTS, FIST FIGHTS -- On the easy side.

DRIVING -- The city looks gorgeous and real, with lots of detail. However, driving quickly becomes a chore, so I started having the partner drive to save time. I was more interested in the story after awhile.

Overall, I loved the story. But for playing around with interrogations and evidence, I preferred the Phoenix Wright series. There, I was actually solving things, rather than making lots of 50/50 educated guesses (with penalties for being wrong). The end of the Homicide chapter ends with a long series of actual solving, and I liked that. If only they could have made problem solving more important in the rest of the game, I would have enjoyed it much more.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]