Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars $14.99? Bye-bye WSJ Kindle Edition...., May 23, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I've owned the Kindle 2 for a couple of months now and have been a subscriber to the WSJ Kindle edition since I got the device - I let my print+online subscription lapse and was glad to stop throwing a paper newspaper into the recycling bin every day. At $9.99/month, I was already paying a bit more for the Kindle subscription than my $110 print+online subscription had cost me, but it didn't seem too bad: a little less content, a little more convenience, basically a wash. I'm unhappy in principle with the DRM (and would never, ever buy a Kindle book from Amazon for that reason alone) but in the case of a newspaper subscription it's barely tolerable; again, the physical equivalent of the paper would be going into the trash at the end of the day anyway.

A sudden price increase of FIFTY PERCENT for an unchanged product, however, seems unjustified to me. Obviously the cost of delivering the WSJ to the Kindle hasn't just gone up $5/month. I'm sure this is just playing around with the demand curve, but in my case it's pretty elastic. I can read the WSJ at work - it's a little less convenient than browsing it on my Kindle in the subway, but not $5/month less convenient. Accordingly, I will be canceling in two renewal periods when the price for existing customers goes up, unless Amazon/WSJ retract this increase and keep the existing price.

What with this, and the sudden increase of wireless document delivery from 10 cents per document to 15 cents per rounded-up megabyte (a huge increase if you send large documents!) I'm liking my Kindle a lot less nowadays (and no longer recommending it enthusiastically to everyone I meet). The reasonable 10cents/document fee and the relatively reasonable $9.95/month WSJ subscription fee were major factors in my purchasing the Kindle. I doubt I would have bought it two months ago if the WSJ had been $15 or the per document fee had been 15 cents/megabyte. I don't like Amazon changing the terms so radically now that I'm locked in to an expensive device. I know they reserve the right to, but I don't have to like it, and - since I'll be canceling my WSJ subscription and using Calibre to convert my documents from now on - Amazon will be making less money from me as a direct result. Perhaps a lot less; I was excited about the Kindle DX, but this experience has more or less ensured that I'll be waiting for Plastic Logic or another native PDF reader.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2009 5:39:15 PM PDT
R. Faletra says:
I agree. I'll be canceling my Kindle edition once the price jumps 50% as well

Posted on Jun 6, 2009 9:29:47 PM PDT
M Twain says:
I actually cancelled as soon as the price hike came out. I wasn't willing to give them anymore money if that is how they were going to treat a loyal customer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 2:58:56 PM PDT
A. Jacobs says:
Yeah, in the end I canceled shortly after writing this review. I had just lost most of my good feelings towards the Kindle after the "one-two punch" of the huge increase in the document conversion fee and the WSJ price hike. I also canceled some of my other subscriptions. Amazon's lost more than just the subscription fees from me; I was all set to buy a Kindle DX when it came out, but you won't catch me doing so now. It's too much of a risk - you're locked in with them an they can change the terms any time they like.

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 11:27:56 AM PDT
B. McGregor says:
We all can agree that the death of the Print Media is on it's third note. In order for WSJ to remain profitable they have to increase subscribership. They also need to offset the cost of printing and distribution of their fish wrap.
So, their strategy is to INCREASE the cost from $10 ($120) to $15 ($180) in the hope that MORE people will buy the Kindle version for convenience is a gamble, not a risk.
For every customer WSJ looses at $120, they have to bet on replacing that customer with a new one, rather than retaining both ($240) and having the added value of "word of mouth" advertising.
A lot more people can see parting with $10 a month than $15, you skim the top and upset the rest.
Better to get IBD and OCR. and keep the thirty bucks you'll save each year.
Get competitive WSJ.

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 7:04:40 AM PDT
I just received as a birthday gift the Kindle and was looking forward to purchasing the WSJ. At $180 a year for less content than print, I now have that sick feeling in my stomach as I question the value of the Kindle. Please WSJ and Amazon, make the buying decision justification so inexpensive and simple as Apple has done with thier app store, that we don't think twice. Appears not WSJ in the near future for me.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 9:31:40 AM PDT
Sam says:
Thanks for the comment, I like the idea Kindle bring with, but the value of actual product completely dissappointed. Thanks god that I havn't purchase the kindle, I am looking forward Sony's wireless model this Dec see if it can get anything different.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 4:23:07 PM PST
K. Campbell says:
WSJ print edition was offered to me at $99/year including Saturdays and the on-line....year 2 went to $149, year three $249 and when I cancelled, waited a few weeks and called back to see if they wanted me back as a customer, they told me the print edition was now $349, and print and on-line $410. On the same call, they told me I could give a gift of WSJ to a friend for $99.....just not me. Even at $14.99, this seems like a good value compared to what the annual increases are for the print edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2009 7:24:54 AM PST
Well said and very convincing. News Corp should be very well aware that in this era of plentiful free media, demand curves may be more elastic than they think.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 6:26:16 AM PST
Charles says:
I was really excited when i first say the larger version and was thinking of purchasing for my over seas flights.
Now i dont think i will be spending the $500 when it appears that amazon changes the monthly fee so drastically.
Silly that other corporations dont follow what Apple does, how they treat their customers.
But i guess they dont care about a loyal following, they are just concerned about the bottom line.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2010 11:13:13 AM PST
Pinkpower says:
K. Campbell. I never agree to the increase ever. I told WSJ that unless it is $99, don't call me. They give it to me the second year for $99. With that say, why do I bother to pay $15.99 per month for kindle version.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›