3.0 out of 5 stars Skip the Kindle Version, Buy the Paperback, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach (Kindle Edition)
I found the content of the book to be very good. I agree with the author's adaptive training techniques. I bet we'd see fewer running injuries if more people followed the advice in this book.

I bought the kindle version of this book, and I wish I hadn't. This book provides a lot of great information in charts. Unfortunately, these charts in the kindle version are TERRIBLE. To view most charts, I had to turn my kindle on its side and reduce the font-size to super-small just to be able to read the text in extra-wide tables.

What's worse, the most valuable charts are the multi-week training plans in the back of the book - in the kindle version, these charts are images for some reason, which means that increasing the font size to read the words won't work!

Here's what I had to do to read them. I opened the kindle version on my Mac (I'm sure this same technique would work on a PC). Found the charts I wanted to read, took a screen shot, then printed the screen shot - the Mac kindle software won't let you just print a page. The text in the charts isn't perfectly legible, but it's easy enough to make out the words 'interval', 'progression', 'hill-repeats', etc.

Considering the paperback is only 50 cents more, I wish, I wish, I wish I had purchased it instead. 5 stars on content, but just 1 star for kindle adaptation = 3 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2013 7:09:31 AM PST
jh says:
The purpose of reviews and ratings is to see reviews on content, not on Kindle vs paperback logistics. So if you state you would rate the content at 5 stars, it is unfair to the book for you to mark it down as 3 stars simply because you didn't like it on Kindle. Your warning in the title of your review is enough.

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 12:52:54 PM PDT
I'm glad I didn't take your advice on the Kindle vs paper version of this book... the Kindle charts looked just fine, easily readable on my tablet screen... just had to double touch/click on the chart for it to be enlarged & easily legible. Your mileage may vary, but Kindle delivered for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 12:59:54 PM PDT
J. Sullivan says:
I'm glad the charts look good to you. I'm hoping this means that in the 4 years since I left my initial review, someone figured out how to fix the problem. I did ultimately buy the paper version of the book. I still refer to it often as I build new training plans. I think it's a great resource.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›