3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: BASIC PARTS OMITTED, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (Paperback)
I've bought the last two versions of this book, because nothing compares with its in-depth treatment of Photoshop for photographers. But I was dismayed when I read Martin's section about "what's different in this book." He tells us that, to make room for new material, he has removed the Color Management and Web Output sections, making them available only as PDF downloads on the book's Web site. Why? Because the material has "barely changed" over the past six editions, and he figures his readers have already bought one or more of his books!

Well, yes, Martin, I did, but I sold them back to Amazon when I bought the newer edition. I do not have unlimited shelf space. And now I very much mind having a crippled version of your book instead of the complete reference I thought I was getting. And, no, it's not good enough to provide it as a PDF. If I wanted my references as PDF, I wouldn't be buying a printed book!

That's not to mention the very questionable strategy of removing info that's essential to new readers. Believe it or not, Martin, not all Photoshop users have been using the program for years and years. And many who have been using it a long time STILL don't know how to handle color management. Go to the Web sites of prominent photographers and you'll see that many of them STILL don't know enough to embed a color profile in their online photos, or are embedding the wrong one! They are in desperate need of the info you didn't think was important enough to include!

Do your readers a favor and retain all ESSENTIAL material in future editions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2012 3:35:39 PM PDT
Strong words, but on point (in my opinion). That omission, alone, will keep me from buying this book. What would be your recommendation for the "next best" book that appropriately covers topics?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 4:01:27 PM PDT
The truth is, I don't believe there's any "next best" that would do the job. That's part of what makes it so upsetting. I wound up keeping this book and repurchasing Martin's CS5 book for the parts he later removed.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 5:11:20 AM PDT
I am new to Photoshop and have been wandering blind in the dense forest of books, wondering which one to buy. Thanks for this observation! I will buy the CS5 edition ... and worry about new stuff later.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 4:39:55 PM PDT
T. Noll says:
Where is 'the book's website?' If you go to evenings' website, he doesn't even list this book. At Focal Press, there is no color management download . . .

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 4:18:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012 4:22:58 PM PDT
A. D. Minton says:
Good points about missing material. Agree.

That said, I still may get the book. Thanks for the heads up though. BTW I'll be getting his book on Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, The so maybe that'll have the missing material.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 10:41:37 AM PDT
Paul Cassel says:
I don't understand your complaint about a pdf download. There is a physical limit to a book's side and Evening's books push to that limit. So what would YOU have left out if not old material both in previous books and available as a d/l?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 11:20:04 AM PDT
Paul, I doubt the page limit in this case was physical. There are only 744 pages. It was more likely a budget limit. In other words, the publisher said, "We can't print more than so many pages, because it will mean raising the price too high." But I would personally prefer to pay more and get a comprehensive treatment.

If I HAD to leave something out, Web output would be a good choice, but not color management. This is really basic stuff, and really essential, and really misunderstood by many photographers, and too often screwed up. It's also the kind of thing that most photographers don't REALIZE they need. So, making it available only as a download is a good way to make sure that most readers never see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 11:40:30 AM PDT
Paul Cassel says:
Aaron,

I never said binding limit but there are limits. They are production costs, but also storage costs and transport costs all linked to page count. Also after a book gets to be X size, and 750 pages of a large format book is about it, readers start complaining about having to deal with its mass or wading through pages of material to find what they want.

I'll agree that color management isn't a good thing to have been left out, but then again, it really wasn't since you can d/l the pdf. My take is that I don't see d/l material to be that much of a detriment to the quality of the book. If you do, then you do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 12:01:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 10:24:19 AM PDT
Paul, if you went to a restaurant and ordered a meal, would you like being told you had to go across the street to get your salad?

When I buy a book, I expect a whole book, not just most of the pieces of a book with the option of picking up the rest elsewhere. I don't want to have to remember that some parts of the book are in one form in one place, and other parts are in a different form somewhere else. This is a tax on the reader, and I'm tired of publishers sticking me with it. It's being done not just on books as long as Martin's, but on much shorter books too. It's just like the airlines giving you one price, then loading you down with extra fees. It's false advertising and an ever-increasing nuisance.

You say that customers complain if a book is too long. Well, I'm here to tell you that some of us want them longer, if the material is important enough to write in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 7:40:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 7:44:27 AM PDT
Paul, I have to differ with you. There is no limit to a books size. There is a limit to a books profitability though and that can limit a books size. I appreciate this review and may still buy the book but with the understanding that there is missing information that I will have to retrieve from the internet. This should have been included since, as stated by the reviewer, not everyone has all of this author's prior editions and has been working with PS for years.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›