5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine, wish the milk was hotter., August 31, 2011
This review is from: Gaggia 1003380 Accademia Espresso Machine (Kitchen)
I have had this machine almost 3 months now, and it has gotten twice daily use (some days 3-4) since then. I think it's likely the best super-auto out there. My complaints are the same as other reviewers:

* The milk doesn't get quite hot enough using the automatic steaming/frothing carafe. I find if I use hot water (from the machine) and warm my cup for at least a couple minutes before making my drink, it does help the drink stay warmer longer. I purchased this from another website, and their sales guy recommended heating the milk slightly (to take the chill off) before making the drink, but I just don't have the patience to do that.
* I have to empty the internal drip tray at least once a day, sometimes more. The machine's auto-rinse features when it starts up and goes to sleep fills this container easily. It would have been nice to have a larger drip tray for this purpose.

One feature I wish I had is the ability to make a drink on the fly, using the cappuccino setting, without changing my programming. There are days I want my caps a little drier, but if I go through the on-the-fly programming option, it changes my drink to default to the new settings. I would like to be able to brew my coffee and froth the milk using the auto settings without it affecting any programming. I haven't seen that this is possible in the manual, though I suppose it's possible I'm missing that option.

Things I love:

* I can froth my own milk! I don't often want to, but sometimes I do get a wild hair and want to practice making the perfect froth. Most super-autos don't have a separate frothing wand, I love that this has that option.
* It's so very adjustable, from the amount of coffee ground to the length of the pull to the amount of milk and temperature of both the shot and the milk.
* The milk carafe makes a great foam - better than I can do myself! Most auto-frothing devices I've tried in the past give me a lot of bubbles and not much of the good micro-foam. This does a pretty great job.
* The carafe is pretty easy to clean. I don't take mine all the way apart, but when I need to clean it well (every 2 days, I'd say), I just put some water and dish soap in there, shake it around, scrub gently and then run clear water through the 'straw' and upper portion. It cleans out well without fussing with it much.
* Unlike another reviewer, I do find the machine pretty sturdy in both appearance and feel. It doesn't feel plastic-y to me at all, and it's very easy to keep looking clean and shiny.

All in all, I'm really pleased with my purchase. When you spend this kind of money for a piece of equipment you hope for the best, but I was still skeptical it would be all I wanted. But it is! I love it and I have no regrets. Here's hoping it lasts for years to come.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]