5.0 out of 5 stars 21st Century Bridge, March 12, 2011
This review is from: Bridge Over Troubled Water (40th Anniversary Edition) (1 CD/1 DVD) (Audio CD)
Normally, I am not a fan of landmark "anniversary" reissues since most suffer badly from the desperation of artists and record companies seeking one last profit squeeze from their old catalog. The formula is simple - remaster the music but lard up the offering with decrepit video and audio outtakes that should have remained untaken and out.

While that motivation may be in play here, the reissue of BOTW is done with extreme care - the re-mastering is superb and the companion DVD feels less like a cobble of random video and more like a well thought out expansion of artistic vision.

The video is terrific but when you get right down to it - these releases are always about the music. "Bridge" remains an extraordinary recording, providing S&G's generations of fans a compelling reason to rediscover its many virtues. It should come as no shock that with vastly improved production clarity, the stature of the title track - IMHO the single best vocal performance(s) in popular recording history - is only enhanced, however, to my ear the shimmering soundscape of The Only Living Boy In New York remains the emotional centerpiece of the album.

A vital addition to any collection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2011 1:28:02 PM PST
Matt Leeds says:
I agree, there is an improvement in sound. But those who already own one of the previous reissues since 2003 and are considering this new one should be aware that the 40th anniversary edition doesn't contain a freshly remastered version, but simply a differently-packaged copy of the earlier remaster plus the DVD, but minus the bonus tracks from the earlier edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 4:27:14 PM PDT
Frank Lynch says:
Anyone know much about the various editions and their sound quality? I've been hanging onto a Japanese "gold" disc version of unknown edition which, IRCC, was mastered at a higher rate than normal. I'm not particularly interested in picking this edition up if it's not an improvement over that one.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 4:57:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 4:58:55 PM PDT
Uncle Dave says:
Not just the "sweeping storyline" of "The Only Living Boy In New York", but also its melody/chord structure/thundering drums (not to mention a bass-line that could humble Paul McCartney). I'm amazed that this song never got it's due credit. How BOTW, Cecilia, the Boxer, and El Condor Pasa, in their stampede to the radio spotlight, left the best song on the album (IMHO) buried in a cloud of obscurity, is one of the great mysteries floating around one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and I'm scratching my head to this day, perplexed...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 2:10:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2011 2:13:03 PM PDT
Sometimes I wonder if the critics "anoint" a few songs as THE songs and others are left behind. The release of singles with B-sides used to be a really big deal, more than today, and I think critics often made pronouncements on both the album as a whole and the singles as they were released. I know many songs got played on the radio and just took off.

When I was younger, in fact until fairly recently, I used to repeat the judgment of "professional" critics without thinking about it much. I assumed they knew better than I did. This (usually) didn't stop me from liking the songs, but I felt vaguely guilty about it - like I was unsophisticated or something. I think 'the dangling conversation' is another underrated song. It got tagged as "pretentious" and maybe it was a little, but it was hardly alone in that among 60s music, and then an excellent song (in my view) just didn't make it in terms of popularity. It used to be that if someone said (this song) has (some flaw in it) that I accepted that without question, but now I think, well that's your perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 8:07:18 AM PDT
Someone once said of rock critics - "they all love Elvis Costello because they all look like Elvis Costello." I wouldn't get too hung up since they generally write for each other with the public of secondary concern.

If you enjoy an artist or a song that hasn't been annointed, just enjoy it. Critics are just liberal arts majors who couldn't get a real gig. Looking back Dangling Conversation is probably pretentious but it's a product of its time. The way music is going we can only hope for pretentious as opposed to all the computer generated crap that has rendered radio unlistenable.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 8:13:09 AM PDT
Matt Leeds says:
....and we note our place on Facebook, to measure what we've lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 10:25:58 PM PDT
Uncle Dave says:
Funny you should mention "The Dangling Conversation", as that was one of my favorite tracks on that particular album as well. I learned at a very young age, not to trust the critics or the AM DJs. I turned out to be right too, because as soon as the 'FM underground' stations came onto the scene, I began hearing "The Dangling Conversation" and "The Only Living Boy In New York" frequently (WNEW 102.7, back in the 1970's was one of the best underground stations in the Tri-state area). Now, today's music? Critics....Radio.....Forget it. I find that I have to search out good music by carefully sifting through all these 30 second teaser clips on Amazon, in order to find the songs worth buying, and they are so few and far between, that I wind up buying individual MP3 tracks more often than complete albums. This BOTW album though, still remains one of my 'top 25 favorite albums of all time'.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 10:26:35 PM PDT
ari180 says:
@ Unca Dave ("I wind up buying individual MP3 tracks more often than complete albums.")

Waitaminnit.....
Did you just say you're *buying* music??
"Buying" -- as in, paying *money* for it, "buying"????
*That* kind of "buying"?
Really???
And you're not joking or being ironical?

Just kidding, Mr Bezos, just kidding...

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 11:53:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2011 12:10:25 PM PDT
Uncle Dave says:
Tell ya what, ari180.....I'LL keep BUYING the music and supporting the artist, and YOU keep stealing it, and CHEATING the artist! Somewhere down the road, when there are no longer enough of MY KIND supporting these artists, their attitude will be "Screw it, the returns no longer justify the effort!!" Then guys like you will be the FIRST ONES CRYING that there "just aren't any decent artists out there anymore" and that "the music industry sucks!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 6:11:44 AM PDT