3.0 out of 5 stars Good book. Worth the read for simple fantasy escapism., June 11, 2011
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon series 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ok, first things first. I picked up this book via my Kindle because of its price (free). And for a free ebook, it is more than worth its cost, which is your time. I would not have been upset if I had paid a small amount to purchase this book.

Now, onto the book review itself. This is a simple tale that relies upon the tried and true fantasy formula of a "nobody" coming into their own as a previously undiscovered prodigy has been used by many fantasy authors. This formula therefore requires either significant character development or a type of twist to the story to rise to the five star rating. While this first book utilizes this formula, the character development is still somewhat lacking and even the "education" process wherein the heroine in this book learns to control her power is simplistic and repetitive. If the author was attempting to write fantasy targeted at a child or young teenager, this might be appropriate, but I did not get that impression. I believe this was fantasy that was to be consumed by an adult audience, therefore the lack of sophistication compels me to remove a star from five to four.

So why did I give this book a three star rating? Editing! It is a shame that a good tale should suffer from clunky language, and both grammatical and spelling errors. A professional editor could definitely assist the author in polishing this story. At that point I would be happy with a four star rating for this story.

So overall, as it currently stands, I give this tale three out of five stars. A good read, one that I would not mind paying a small sum for, and definitely worth the current cost of only your time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2011 12:46:18 PM PDT
Lui Mon says:
Your review is nice

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 12:45:20 PM PDT
Amazon Fan says:
Thanks for you posting, it was very informative. I know reviews are opinions but the only thing I question was your comment about the author writing for adults. The author's books are all written for the young adult so an adult reading his books should look at it from this perspective.

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 9:00:42 AM PST
JANET S says:
Thanks for the 'heads up'. Spelling and gramatical errors drive me bonkers!! I really find it difficult to even start a book knowing this in advance. If only the authors would realize that (paying for) the editing is an important part of the distribution process for their own benefit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 3:27:16 PM PST
marybentley5 says:
Young adults shouldn't have to put up with poor editing for grammar, spelling, and style. :-)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 11:52:35 PM PDT
I am also usually very fussy about editing errors. My copy did not have sufficient errors to make it memorable. I have bought all of Mr. Lallo's books to date. I would have to re-read them to see if I was just in an indulgent mood when reading the "Book of Deacon".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014 6:38:06 AM PST
I sympathize with the author on this. I generally hear positive comments about 'The Book of Deacon' I think it's popular for a reason, word of mouth is a powerful thing - if a book is good. You have to bear in mind this book is self-published. I'm self-published at the moment. As a fellow independent author, I understand the costs of editing and proof-reading. To hire a professional editor and a professional proof-reader, is going to cost potentially $1000 for a good one. This is a book Joseph Lallo is giving away free, so he'll never cover those costs with this book. Yes, we all have to do our best to eliminate as many errors as possible, but to get a 100,000 piece of fiction 100% error free - is very hard. It's especially hard if you are editing and proofing your own work. You know what you wanted to say, so your brain is constantly hiding your mistakes from you. This is why in my books, I got various people to edit and proof-read.

Martyn Stanley
Author of:-
The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc Book 1) (Free to download)
The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc Book 2)
The Blood Queen (Deathsworn Arc Book 3)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,370 customer reviews)

$0.00