1,594 of 1,623 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Best camcorder if you're on a budget and need external mic input, August 22, 2009
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera - Black (Camera)
Check out my sample footage video on Youtube. On Youtube search "djeror zi8 low light"

In my previous review of the Kodak Zi8 I was pretty frustrated at the fact that whenever I used the built in microphone the recorded videos had an annoying high pitch whine that made the audio from my videos almost unusable. Kodak recognized that this was an issue and created a firmware update that fixed the problem. It also fixed a few other things like the previous issue of the image getting darker as you zoomed in. They seem to have fixed all of the major problems with this firmware fix.

I do tech product reviews so I need the following things:

- External mic input - most of my videos are shot wearing a lapel mic
- Macro mode - I have to get close to little tiny screens
- SDHC memory - I go to all day trade shows, I need 10+ hours of video
- Power options - I need to be able to shoot while AC power is plugged in or use a large external battery.
- Under $200 - I'm poor.

Because of these requirements no other camcorder can fit my needs. One cool thing about this camera is that it is much more upgradable than the other pocket cameras on the market.

Con:
-The built in microphone is OK now that they fixed the whining noise, but it's still not amazing.

Work-around:
- Don't use the internal mic... I use an Audio Technica lapel mic for 1 person interviews.Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone For events I ordered a Sony stereo mic to use instead of the built in mic. Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone . Although I wish that Kodak made the internal mic better, for the most part I am kind of excited that the Sony stereo mic will give me much better sound than any of the standard internal mics that any of the pocket cams have.

Con:
-Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) sucks a lot of juice. Also the Zi8 uses a proprietary battery rather than cheap swappable AA's. Battery life when shooting non-stop is 1hr 16min in 720p 60fps with EIS on. If you turn off EIS you get about 1hr 41min at 720p 60fps.

Work-around:
- Use the USB to power cable that comes with the camera in conjunction with an external battery source. This is a must if you are going to be recording for more than an hour with EIS, cause that's about what the internal battery will give you. Tekkeon TekCharge Rechargeable Li-Poly Battery You can just stick this battery pack in your pocket and connect the charging cable to the Zi8. This will allow you to record for a super long amount of time. I haven't tested to see what my total record time with the battery pack will be but it should be around 5X the standard recording time. (about 6 hours with EIS on, almost 9 with it off) This gives you the best battery life of almost any camcorder. Sure it's an extra cost, but when you're at an all day trade show you don't have to worry about running out of juice.

Con:
- Image stabilization can't rescue video you shoot while moving around. Any camera motion makes video awful.

Work-round:
- Accept the fact you should probably be using a mini tripod with this camera or at least stand still. Also, although it takes a bunch of time to process if you have the new iMovie the image stabilization processing you can do is light years beyond what the EIS in the Kodak Zi8 can do.

One more important note. Make sure you buy high speed SDHC memory cards for this thing. If your SD card is not fast enough the camera will record for like 2 seconds and then stop with an error. It took me a while to figure out why the camera kept stopping recording when in HD mode but worked fine in SD mode. It was because of my old SD card. You need to make sure your SD card has a write speed of at least 9MB/s if you want to record in 1080p. These high speed cards cost more, but you need them for any camcorder that is going to record HD video to them, it's not just the Zi8. I think most Class 6 high speed SDHC cards should work.

If you want to get the most out of this camera plan on spending an extra $100 - $150 in order to buy upgrade items. Personally I've come to the conclusion that the extra expenses were worth it. It all depends on what you plan on using the camera for. For a typical mom purse cam this would not be my recommendation, I would say go with a Flip Ultra HD. But for someone with particular needs like mine this camera may be the only one that fits the bill.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 30 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 71-80 of 116 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 24, 2010 8:35:32 AM PDT
"...Image stabilization can't rescue video you shoot while moving around. Any camera motion makes video awful..."

LOL, this is very true! I am about to post my review, which is on-par with yours. I thought I could get an HD camcorder for $150. What you get is a cellphone-like device that captures up to 1080p. Honestly, if the Zi8 was for me I would return it. What good is a video camera when you cannot move? !!!

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 3:08:58 PM PDT
E.Barroso says:
I bought this camera and I am quite happy with it, except that I cannot find a zoom The booklet says it has one.) and does not have a wide angle lens (like the humble Vado).I would appreciate any input, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2010 7:56:06 PM PDT
Beatriz, you activate the zoom by pressing the red joystick controller up or down while you're in video-camera mode.

As far as the wide-angle lens, I will let Derrick answer that, but I'm pretty sure the Zi8 doesn't have one.

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 12:56:13 PM PDT
T. Tyson says:
Great review. I read on Cnet that the included software is necessary for clean video. Is this true? How well does it integrate with imovie?
Thanks in advance

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2010 5:31:51 PM PDT
Derrick, the technical details say:
Microphone Operation Mode: Mono

Are you using a stereo mic, expecting to get a stereo recording?
Or is their comment a bit ambiguous, and only referring to the built-in mic as being in mono?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2010 7:03:44 AM PDT
The built in mic is mono but the mic line input is stereo.

Posted on May 18, 2010 7:23:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2010 7:25:52 PM PDT
Which SDHC Card do you use and what size?

Thanks

RML

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 10:09:09 AM PDT
E.Barroso says:
Done that, didn't work.

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 12:12:43 AM PDT
Hi Derrick,
Thanks for all the info on the Kodak zi8. You helped me make up my mind, and I just ordered one from Crutchfield!
May I ask 2 questions: Can the Zi8 be mounted on a standard tripod?
And do I understand correctly that the Zi8 can be powered with the AC adaptor and the included battery while recording?
Thanks and God Bless,
Charlie Miller

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2010 6:15:34 AM PDT
Yes, the Zi8 can be mounted on a standard tripod.
You can charge the Zi8 with the AC adapter while you are using it. If you get an external USB battery pack charger you can charge it on the go and get hours and hours of battery life. Tekkeon TekCharge MP1800

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (783 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $64.99