5.0 out of 5 stars Reply To The Egregious Miss Sarah and Miss Silvia, March 25, 2014
This review is from: The Great Beauty (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
I saw this film in the theater and consider it one of the two or three rewarding and truly great films of 2013, not one of the said films being your Hollywood scam-films BTW. I very much look forward to seeing it again on Blu-ray. So I take it personally and feel compelled to respond to ignorant "reviewers" who see fit to criticize it without knowing what they are talking about at all. "Miss Sarah" and "Miss Silvia", two of the virago-"reviewers" on this panel: You are obviously a lot smarter and have far better taste than I and the thousands of Academy Award voters who chose this wonderful film as Best Foreign Film of the year 2013. Together with "Twelve Years A Slave" - another NOT-A-HOLLYWOOD scam-film, but nevertheless won its highest award; such an irony indeed - it will be among a pitiful handful from 2013 that will endure.

What demoralizes me about Amazon "reviewers", in general and the two Misses in particular, is first, their stupidity. They openly and self-confidently confess to "not getting it" or "not liking it". Has it ever occurred to these "reviewers" that "not getting it" and "not liking it" are admissions of defeat, especially with regard to a film that is unmistakably serious, demanding, and complex, and therefore reflect BADLY on them? No, they wear their stupidity like a badge of honor. Second, their circular, self-serving smugness about their stupidity: "Because I did not get or like this film, it must therefore be 100% truly awful" rather than it's because of me and my deficiencies as a human being and as a "reviewer". No, that would NEVER be the problem although when you get right down to it, that is plainly what the problem is, the frustration of a deficient mind (and heart) about a work of art that eludes them, that is beyond their intelligence and limited capacity for understanding and empathy.

I think that Amazon "reviewers" - myself humbly included, a very occasional "reviewer" at best - will always say more about themselves than what they're "reviewing" or writing about. The required level of understanding, openness, and dare one say it, cosmopolitanism, which is the only enlightened and useful way to approach any new work of art, is very low indeed. It's partly because Amazon is more interested in "democracy" rather than literacy. As such, the level of arrogance, which is usually driven by bias and provincialism, is depressingly high.

In the end, it is nothing more - and nothing less - than a reflection of the state of our contemporary culture itself, that is to say, we ourselves, who are presently living in a mediocre age. Yes, of course, movies (and all other "media", including books) have never been so bad. The one consolation of living in a culturally "down" time such as ours is precisely the very few books and films that somehow transcend the pervasive mediocrity. We will need to wait for another fifty years or so for the next Golden Age, which always happens once the culture is able to see past its technological "advances" and superficial marvels. In the case of the history of film, that has been the cyclical case since its inception, and there is no reason to believe otherwise, i.e., that our total absorption with Technology will inadvertently and indefinitely prevent enduring, timeless work from being made, with rare exceptions such as "The Great Beauty", an instant classic and a great film.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2014 1:32:35 AM PDT
With due respect, but I cannot agree more with you.

Posted on May 19, 2014 1:32:36 AM PDT
With due respect, but I cannot agree more with you.

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 5:50:46 PM PDT
If they do not get it they do not get it.
That is the point of a review to warn others , hey you might not get this either. Beware.
Your review shows a certain, dare I say snobbishness. Perhaps you would do well to consider that the next time you criticize others.

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 11:05:44 AM PDT
G. Schooley says:
I watched the file last night... What to say? I loved it, it opened my eyes and my mind to a life well lived, and myself at age 66 seeing through jeeps eyes how it was and how it went and how it is going...? Make sense? I have recommended thief film to six friends this morning. Great film 5 stars for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 11:10:31 AM PDT
G. Schooley says:
"Not getting it" is what they are saying, "I don't get it". How is this a review? "I don't get it it." Does not 'warn' others that they might no get it either. I've seen movies that I didn't get, turned them off after so many minutes but never wrote a review about them as others liked them. It was just me that didn't get it.

Explain please.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 12:17:03 PM PDT
Modern says:
Precisely. If one does not get it (and admits to the fact), one has no right or reason to write about it, much less review it. Pleading ignorance or incomprehension is not a basis for writing positively or negatively about something. But in our culture of entitlement, where humility is rare and arrogance abundant, that isn't the case. People feel entitled all the time, that they have the right to blame the book or film or work of art if they don't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2014 4:53:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2014 5:04:44 PM PDT
The comments above are almost as shallow as the film itself. It is not universally loved, believe me. I'm a highly intelligent person, and I 'got' it. Not that there's all that much to actually 'get.' I found it lovely to look at, but utterly pretentious, and numbingly dull. And in my opinion everyone is entiled to have a point of view on everything. You appear to be a pompous, opinionated, smug, self rightous prat. The person with the sense of entitlement, is you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2014 5:07:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2014 5:08:48 PM PDT
You really must do a bit more work on your grammar and spelling, Schooley, before you trumpet your opinions to the world. I'm surprised you have six friends actually.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (283 customer reviews)

$39.95 $25.99