Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed...updated 11/17/2010, November 10, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I bought this yesterday for the PS3. After playing for about three hours, I say this game is mediocre at best, for now. So far I've played the Campaign mode for about five minutes, Zombie mode for 15, and the rest has been devoted to Online Multiplayer.

Let's start of with what's good (and remember, I spent most of my playing time Online Multiplayer)...
Pros:
-No lag. Or very little of it. I didn't notice the entire time I was playing online.
-The new credit system.
-Wager match.

Now to the not-so-good about the game...
-Graphics. What is this, a late PS2 game? It felt cartoonish. I wanted to pop in CoD: MW2 just so I could look up at the nice sky in "Derail" while looking for UAV's to shoot down.
-Sound. Not realistic at all and somewhat muffled.
-Maps. Most, if not all, feel so confined. Think of it as "Rust", but bigger.

I'll update again as I log in more hours, but for now, a rating of 3 out of 5.

Thank you for reading.

************************************************************************************

Update (11/17/2010):

It has now been more than a week since getting this game and so here are some updates:

*Note: I still only have played mainly the online multiplayer aspect of the game*

Pros:
-Zombie mode is actually really fun. Wave after wave of zombies come after you and your party, well to me, there's just nothing like it...except maybe "Red Dead Redemption"'s zombie dlc.
-Wager matches, particularly "One in the Chamber" and "Gun Game". There's no other multiplayer mode as fun as those two in the game.
-Balance between the guns...FAMAS still pwns.
-Still very little lag. While it is noticeable at times, it's not enough to make me ragequit *cough* MW2 *cough*

Cons:
-Still not impressed with the graphics or the sound. I blame MW2. I've gotten used to the grapchis, somewhat, but the gun sounds and explosions gets two-thumbs down from me.
-It has far become too easy for your teammates (and enemies) to take your care packages. While I don't mind them taking useless carepackages, specifically ammo, and it will help me get Hardline Pro faster (allows to switch out to a different care package once), I do want them most of the time. *imitates Chris Crocker* Leave my care package alone!!! T T
-Respawning. I've found myself being shot in the back quite often. An enemy will respawn behind you and kill you even if you're hiding in a corner and have your back against a wall *insert sarcasm here*.

Pro or Con depending on situation:
-Harder to kill enemies with a knife swipe (almost looks like a punch).
-Claymores blow up almost instantaneously.

I now rate the fun factor to 4 and the overall game rating to 3.5.

That's it for now. Thank you for reading and I'll post more updates eventually...if I could just put the controller...down...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2010 7:50:50 AM PST
Don`t review the game if you haven`t completed it yet. Three hours? You are kidding, right?

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 8:52:06 AM PST
MF says:
Yes, it's only been three hours, but would I really need more than several minutes to see that its graphics and sound are subpar compared to , say, Cod: MW2?

Also, it's just my initial review. I have noted in the bottom that I'll update as I progress more through the game. Those were just my initial observations about the game.

Thank you, though, for taking the time to read and respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 11:24:13 AM PST
GamesN'book says:
I totally agree with you.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 2:05:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 2:08:54 PM PST
C. Johnson says:
Three hours is ample time to see the flaws he pointed out. I didn't know it was a requirement to finish a game before you review it, I'll keep that in mind...thanks...

Anyway MF, thanks for the candid review. I rented this yesterday, and I too noticed the graphics did seem like a step back from MW2 also, the single player game play to me so far is just like MW2's (all action all the time, which got old really quick). But maybe that will change later on....

I'll try multiplayer tonight, and I'm hoping it doesn't have the flaws the MW2's multi-player had.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 5:43:26 PM PST
Ted Riggs says:
This is not MW2, guys. This game is getting a crappy rating from MW2 fanboys because they can't handle the fact that it's not an exact clone of their favorite game. You guys did the same thing to Medal of Honor just because it was different, and you do it to every other FPS that comes out. Talk about being close-minded. If you all want MW2, then play MW2 while you wait for Infinity Ward's next title. Black Ops is a lot more similar to W@W because it's made by Treyarch. You should have known what to expect and known that your close-minded attitude would have prevented you from ever enjoying this.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:50:06 PM PST
Bob says:
I agree the graphics are poor, the maps are small. Just glad I did not pay anything other than a bunch of old games I had laying around for it, Maybe the trade in value will not to be to bad and I wont take a big hit

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 8:57:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2010 5:04:59 PM PST
C. Johnson says:
Yeah I played multi player a lot last night and it just reiterated the fact that the graphics are bad. Especially on that level with the school bus and mannequins all over the place. It really did look like I was playing a last gen game and cartoonish like the reviewer mentioned.

I usually don't dwell too much on the graphics as I am more concerned about game play, but the bad graphics in this game can't really be ignored.

Gameplay seems improved on multiplayer, but there is just too much lag.

Single player seems like MW'2 so far; mindless non-stop action and endless enemy spawns...not cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 10:43:00 AM PST
The "cartoonish" map you are referring to is called "Nuketown." It looks intentionally exagerrated because it is mimicking a fake nuclear test sight town circa 1950. Think about it.

In general, I say the graphics aren't quite as good as MW2, but is that really such a big deal? The graphics are good. And gameplay is far more important than graphics anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 1:30:36 PM PST
LP TX says:
so, is it worth waiting for BCBF3?

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 1:34:46 PM PST
Ted Riggs says:
I wouldn't say the graphics aren't as good as MW2. They're just different. It's a different game by a different developer. Uncharted 2 has some of the best graphics ever seen on the PS3, but they don't have the 'realistic' look of Heavy Rain. Does that make them worse? I don't think so. It's a different style.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›