Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, but Wahl needs to work on keeping it simple, October 23, 2008
This review is from: Wahl 9854-600 Lithium Ion All In One Trimmer (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros
Powerful motor
Keeps its charge
Feels solid
Standard Wahl narrow blade head good for precise trims

Cons
Too many accessories! A better design could keep it more simple
Standard Wahl narrow blade head not as good for faster trims

I've owned a half a dozen rechargeable trimmers, most of them for beards, and I have to say that I've never been that impressed regardless of the brand name. I can't seem to find one that's both simple and powerful.

The Wahl Lithium Ion All In One is probably the most powerful rechargeables I've ever used. I tried a number of current Norelco models and they're frequently on the wimpy side. One was so weak that it would pull hair right out of my face instead of cutting it. This Wahl model is on the other extreme. Just trimmed my heard and cut my lip a little bit on the blades. Probably only the second time that's ever happened with a trimmer. Will need to be careful in the future, but thankful because the obvious power means a faster trim and no fear of pulled hair.

My two gripes about the Wahl are the same I've had about the previous Wahl trimmers I've used.

One, unlike Norelco which frequently designs built in adjustable heads that go up and down, they offer a ton of accessories. This kit has something like 17. I don't need 17! I'm betting most men don't either. Some of these are going to get lost or inconveniently separated from the trimmer. Just give me a removable adjustable height head and that's all I need. That function itself can equal half a dozen or more attachments.

My second complaint is also the same I've had about all Wahl trimmers - the head width. It's about 1/4" or so more narrow than Norelco models. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Wahl trimmers are best for getting around the edges where accuracy is needed. The wide head Norelcos are for when you want to trim your beard as fast as possible with a wider blade - IF they offered a model with as strong a motor as the Wahl that is.

I'm no fan of Norelco - have sworn them off after experiencing too many wimpy motors. I really like the power of this Wahl. I just wish they'd borrow a little bit from Norelco. The narrow head has its use, but enough with the dozen+ accessories.

For this price range this probably one of the best trimmers I've used even with my complaints. And if you happen to like having all sorts of accessories then this might be perfect for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2008 3:17:11 AM PST
PaulN says:
Is the charger for international 110-240 volts or only for 110 volts?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 7:12:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2011 7:14:06 AM PST
camelback says:
Unfortunately it's 110V only. This is my problem with Wahl. I travel once a year to Europe and can't use it there. The voltage coverters are jokes and will damage the unit if you try using them. I'll try a Norelco but Wahl would be well advised to build a dual voltage model.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:40:13 AM PST
Snowland says:
I agree that Norelco has the built-in adjustable head.
I have used Norelco G370 for some time now, it is cheap and it works. I especially like the Adj. head on it.

But i want powerful motor that Wahl has. I might pick this one up, my norelco just broke after many yrs of use.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 8:32:54 PM PST
BMD says:
I have used this Wahl trimmer for over a year and absolutely love it. My beard and mustache hair is very coarse, and this trimmer cuts it cleanly. The wide selection of accessories is a good thing. Experiment. Choose the ones you like, and stow away the ones you never use. I use basically three accessories: The wide bare blade for my neck and cheek areas; the wide blade with the medium comb-guard attachment for my beard and mustache; and, the narrow blade for trimming around the corners of my mouth and the area just below my lower lip. I don't use the foil blade or any of the other attachments or blades.

The battery life is VERY impressive. As for travel, not having the ability to access local voltage is not really an issue unless you plan to be in Europe or Asia for more than a month. The lithium-ion battery lasts well over a month between recharges.

BTW, I used Norelco units in the past. They held up for years, but they did not have the power of this Wahl model. I can never go back.

The bottom line is that I am very satisfied with this Wahl model. Is it perfect? No, but it comes very close. No complaints here.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 10:04:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 10:04:50 AM PST
Mariana says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 7:44:58 AM PST
J. Lindsley says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2014 10:36:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2014 10:38:01 AM PDT
You are criticizing reviewers for reviewing in detail?! :o

* Do these reviews fail to address your own personal beard-trimming needs?
* Too many big words for you? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2014 9:16:27 PM PST
Denny Hill says:
LOL!!! Good one, Thomas...hah!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›