Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't., August 20, 2008
This review is from: Enchanted (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I wanted to like this movie. I like fairy tales and happily every after. And it had a few good moments, but overall this movie grated on my nerves. Watching it made me tense and edgy for reasons I can't quite explain. The chipmunk, of course, was the highlight of the movie - and that's saying quite a bit.

There were moments of dialogue where I did like the characters, but I spent most of the movie cringing - especially when it came to the prince. I just couldn't handle his character - it was so very, very bad. And it wasn't so much the acting (though that was over-the-top, perhaps by design) but the script and the costumes and everything. And perhaps he was supposed to be annoying. The wicked witch was better in person than she was animated, but still felt like a two-dimensional character. Some of the supporting cast were better (the little girl, for one) but it simply didn't make up for what felt like a real lack of chemistry between most of the characters.

And even though I expected the story to be somewhat predictable, there were zero twists and turns to liven it up. Absolutely nothing original or interesting once you got past the 'falling into the real world' bit (which, admittedly, was big, but you need something near the finale - besides a scene that reeks of political correctness).

For a really good fairy tale movie, check out The Princess Bride and give this one a miss.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2008 6:12:14 AM PDT
J. Lesley says:
Smeddley---I watched this with Grandgirl #2 so I came at it from a slightly different perspective. She just loved it and spent the entire time quoting the upcoming lines and asking me if I didn't just love it. Alone, in my own house, with nobody to urge me on? No!
Judy

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 11:08:11 AM PDT
Smeddley says:
Yeah, part of me feels a little bad for reviewing things not aimed at my demographic, but... I do like a lot of fairy tales and cartoons, so I'm young enough at heart, I think!

Posted on Nov 28, 2008 4:51:58 PM PST
"And it wasn't so much the acting (though that was over-the-top, perhaps by design) but the script and the costumes and everything. And perhaps he was supposed to be annoying. The wicked witch was better in person than she was animated, but still felt like a two-dimensional character."

Of COURSE it was over-the-top by design. The costumes, the two-dimensionality of the characters. They're spoofing cartoons here. How can you possibly miss that? Sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 8:21:57 AM PST
Smeddley says:
Spaceballs is the ultimate spoof movie, but it still manages to have good characters, good acting, and a better storyline. You can't use 'it was a spoof' to clear it of any responsibility of being good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›