5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Belkin N750 Wireless DB Dual-Band Gigabit N+ Router With High Speed HD Streaming & USB (F9K1103) (Personal Computers)
Let me preface this by saying that I am a very technical user, having been a certified senior network engineer and senior database administrator at various times through my career in I.T. I am very hardware savvy.

For that reason, one would typically assume that I would be the last person to buy this router -- or anything Belkin for that matter -- because it's targeted at the less tech savvy. But you know what, I'm past the days of tweaking and firmware upgrades. DDWRT on Linksys WRT54G? been there done that. I just want my router to work, like a toaster, and to not have to think about it.

Let me be clear, I almost purchased the highly regarded ASUS RT-N56U.. It's only 25 more even, and well reviewed amongst the tech-heads. However, I happened to be at Walmart and saw this one on sale and figured what the heck, considering Walmart's liberal return policy. After 6 weeks, I don't doubt my decision at all.

The GB ethernet (which only matters/applies to wired connections) is a nice plus for transferring content between wired machines. It's not going to matter when you're on the Internet though whether you're on 100mb wired or 1gb (since you're Internet connection is likely 10-20mb at the most, if that).

One major selling point if you're a Mac user: With the ASUS, you can't print from a Mac via the USB port (at least not from everything I've read, please comment if you know this not to be true). With this Belkin I can access both hard drives and printers attached to the N750 with ease from my Macbook Pro and from my Windows machines.

The web configuration GUI is simple and straightforward, I didn't used the desktop gui for config, so I can't speak to that.

Looks: it's vertical, so it doesn't take up a lot of counter space, this is a definite plus in my book. And it is attractive, not your typical square flat box. I'd imagine the vertical stature is good for the reach of the antennae, but I won't claim to be an engineer to judge such things. I do know that reach in my 2700sqft home is great on all floor and all locations.. even from the upstairs can on the other side of the house (too much information? I think it's relevant, but you be the judge).

With this router, where the 5ghz won't reach, the 2.4 will. This has dual radios so you'll effectively see two separate wireless network, one 2.4 one 5. If one isn't reachable, you simple join the other. 5ghz spectrum is preferable as it's less crowded, but sometimes the 2.4 goes farther. AM/FM would be a poor but acceptable analogy.

So if you're not a tinkerer (or even if you are), and you just want a router to work (you're tired of reboots, dropped connections, etc.), then don't hesitate, buy this one.. or if you want to save a few dollars, I have no doubt their 600 model will serve you fine. Particularly if you don't have a 2x3 radio that can even take advantage of 750.

As with *ALL* electronics, someone's going to get a faulty one, and that person is going to make sure everyone in the world knows they got the bad one. Which is why you should buy your electronics from a trusted (r)etailer, whether it be brick and mortar or online. Walmart (for good or for bad) and Amazon both fall into this category IMO.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2011 8:58:45 AM PDT
Belkin Cares says:
Hello J. Heizman,

Thank you for writing your very straight forward review. You have touched on everything about these routers in your review. There isn't much to say other than to let you know if you ever have any questions or comments please let us know at customercare@belkin.com.

Best Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 9:42:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 10:55:40 PM PDT
This review really touched a nerve in a positive way. I feel like Mr Heizman, I have been there done that since before the IBM PC, but I have am now at an age where I just want things to work.

I just switched to Apple's line of related computer products as everything just works right down to the Apple TV 2 as a simple network device which may benefit from this router too. I was going to get a new Apple airport express to replace a reliable Netgear that is a couple of years old. I have a Linksys N router sitting on my desk but haven't used it since I opened it. I just don't feel like the hassle of dealing with it across a variety of products. It also doesn't do N properly as it is an either or situation with this model Linksys N.

I am just going to give the Linksys and NetGear away an let someone else deal with them.

I am reading these reviews to see if this router will work for my new Mac setup. I am impressed that someone from Belkin has common sense to deal with commenting on these customer reviews on Amazon. I wish more firms took an active interest in their customers after the fact like Apple does.

There was a glowing review of this particular Belkin N750 Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router in a Cult of the Mac post yesterday. I was not even aware of its existence until I read that. Now all I just need to do is to make sure that this router, server, matches what I am looking for in an Airport Express alternative.

Lately I have been buying quite a lot of items through Amazon. They make the process of returning something you may not like easier than most brick and mortar stores. They will even send UPS by the house or business to pick up a return on their dime. Just be careful if a non Amazon firm fills your order, they may not be near as easy to deal with.

BTW please note if you follow a given discussion you can check to be alerted if new posts are made. Even if I don't buy a Belkin I will follow this one to see if there are any major changes in the market that might make my life easier.

Apple simply deals with all their updates automatically for everything. There has been far less pain with Apple than dealing with the fragmented Microsoft family of products.

Belkin looks like they may be aware of what makes Apple and Amazon so great to deal with and that caught my interest a little bit more.

I do have a question after I downloaded the manual to this router. It says it only supports Leopard and Snow Leopard while I have Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. If it is incompatible with Lion for the extra features it is a pass for me.

Also it doesn't look like it would be too useful with my iPad and iPhone for the extra features like Printer Sharing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 9:53:09 AM PDT
Hello Victor,
What decision did you make with regards to a router? Did you go with the Apple AE or with this one from Belkin?
What was the verdict re it working for Lion or not?
Sounds like I'm in a similar situation as the one you were in on August 14th. Got all Apple gear and weighing up between Apple Airport Extreme and this one from Belkin.

Regards,

Jonathan

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 5:26:29 PM PDT
Glorytown says:
Like you, I used to love it when tech stuff stopped working. Gave me a chance to roll my sleeves up and get it solved. No more...just want it to work. The N750 does that. Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 7:25:00 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 12:07:38 PM PDT
J. Heizman says:
so all of your comments are referring to the airport extreme, not the n750? what were the reasons you returned the n750 then?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 6:38:41 PM PDT
rockalittle says:
Why not reviw the apple product on it's own page?
Your "review" is confusing and totally irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 6:57:46 AM PDT
DC says:
Victor, I recommend using google cloud print. I don't know if that app is available on the ipad/pod market, but it has served me well. Give it a shot. Then you can print through your printer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 6:35:13 AM PDT
SLOreader says:
This product is fine as a wireless router, but very problematic with OS lion and print serving from the USB port. It works well with snow leopard, but not with lion. It constantly drops the printer, and occasionally crashes the computer...new software urgently needed for mac users. Mine goes in the trash can today

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 3:27:54 PM PDT
Saint305XL says:
I have Mac OS X 10.7.4 and this router works perfect with my MacBook Pro, my Windows 7 PC, my Android tablet, my Asus laptop, and my Windows XP desktop. I can print wirelessly and through USB connection without problem. Maybe I got lucky and received a really good router, but I just upgraded from the N600 by Belkin because it just crashed after a few months, just completely turned off and never came back on. So I bought this and I am not disappointed in the least, fantastic router. It works great with Lion and I can use it to print without flaws, 5 stars in my opinion. Thank you for your review J. Heizman.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›