5.0 out of 5 stars If this is our bridge fuel we won't go far!, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Gasland (DVD)
Josh Fox's GASLAND is an entertaining, high energy piece of art that will make you laugh and leave you terrified. Fox traveled across the country and through the gas patches in his old Camry with nothing but his curiosity, ample passion and a camera. Watching GASLAND is an interactive experience; you will laugh, cry, shake your head in disbelief, curse and marvel at the triumph of the human spirit. If this film doesn't make you think about the future and motivate you to action, check your pulse.

I live on top of the Barnett Shale and for six years now I have blogged about the devastating effects of natural gas extraction. Everything in GASLAND, I have witnessed firsthand and captured in video and photographs on my blog.

Natural gas is not a clean energy, and if this is our bridge fuel, we aren't going far. It's another dirty fossil fuel that creates massive amounts of toxic and radioactive waste for which industry has no plan. They are spreading this waste on our farmland, dumping it in streams and ditches and burying it in fields. The water use is simply not sustainable and our surface and groundwater is being contaminated. The emissions make natural gas worse for the climate than coal--now that's BAD!

We can decide now to go forward and build a sustainable world where our children will have a future or continue to beat the hydrocarbon energy dead horse to the ruination of our vital natural resources.

TXsharon - Bluedaze: DRILLING REFORM FOR TEXAS

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2012 2:45:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 3:14:30 AM PDT
Blair says:
I agree with everything in your thoughtful review, except that I couldn't laugh.

That this hydro fracturing process (with its over 500 toxic chemicals injected underground) was exempted from all environmental compliance laws (Clean Air, Clean Water, Superfund, CERCLA) is nothing short of a crime. Yet, as we learn in this film, it's not!

I've spent years in the field of environmental remediation, trying to pull out of the ground the same polluting chemicals that elsewhere (we learn) are being injected into the ground through hydro fracturing.

It's absolute insanity -- and if we don't stop it quick, we will forever contaminate America's most precious natural resource: the pure, clean water found in (previously) undisturbed underground water aquifers, not to mention rivers, lakes and streams.

Ps. I do believe that America must become energy independent. Like many of us, I too like my house warm in winter, and prefer driving to walking. I recognize that like it or not, we're stuck with fossil fuels for the next 50 years. But poisoning our drinking water in order to get at that energy is ultimately suicidal. There must be better and more responsible methods developed .. and soon. In the mean time, new environmental laws must be established that will allow the EPA to monitor and regulate this industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 2:56:24 PM PDT
S. Wilson says:
No, it's not funny what is happening but when you live in the middle of it and suffer from the impacts daily, sometimes all you can do is laugh. I have lived in Wise County where fracking oil & gas from shale was "married" with hydraulic fracturing. They experimented right in my backyard. I've been writing a blog texassharon.com about the impacts for a long time now. After a rain, when you can light the bubbles coming up in your horse pasture, you just laugh because you're tired of crying.

It's not just water! This process also fouls our air and they spread the waste on farm and ranch land and call it fertilizer.

I don't use gas in my home. I had a low emission wood burning stove installed and I dress warmly. We have to change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 3:21:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 3:26:05 PM PDT
Blair says:
"sometimes all you can do is laugh"

I understand. You've got to find a way of coping and staying sane at the same time. You're absolutely right about the air emissions. I forgot to mention that in my comments.

I will look for your blog! I am glad you are writing about it. In the same vein, GASLAND the movie has a pretty good Facebook presence now. Good place to link to your website/blog.

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 10:40:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 3, 2014 11:16:11 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (477 customer reviews)

$29.95 $16.69