1,077 of 1,090 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, November 3, 2005
This review is from: Philips Sonicare Essence Power Toothbrush (Health and Beauty)
I have researched the Sonicare toothbrushes and found the best value to be this new model, I am very happy with it. I read all the reviews for the other models,held them in my hand at the Department store and found the only difference between this and the higher priced models is in the style of the handle and the fancy lights showing the remaining battery life. Also the Elite models have the beep every 30 seconds during the 2 minute timer. This model has all the features I need: Easy reach brush(Uses same replacement heads as the Elite models),2-minute timer. Since these things only last a couple of years anway, what's the sense of spending another $30 or more for features you don't need to clean your teeth. Buy this toothbrush and use the money you saved to buy replacement heads. Update March 20,2012: Wow this thing lasted me 7 years!!! I just ordered another one from Amazon today!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 21, 2008 1:42:55 PM PDT
For what it's worth, I've had a Sonicare Advance for over five years, and the only problem so far -- aside from accumulated muck (in the bucket area where the head screws on) -- is that the plastic in the handle is yellowing.

Posted on Sep 14, 2008 8:43:23 PM PDT
Weedy Burton says:
Thanks for the review:straight to the point and very informative. I agree, why buy extra things you don't need, takes the same heads, who needs the beeps?

Posted on Jan 26, 2009 6:44:01 PM PST
Northern Man says:
For people who say there is accumulated muck (in the bucket where the head screws on) I have a solution for you: After you brush, take a Kleenex and dry the toothbrush--the head, bristles, and shaft. It only takes a second, and muck will no longer accumulate. You store it vertically, so it's very effective just eliminating anything that might drip downward.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2009 4:57:35 PM PDT
Renee says:
I think everyone knows that, Northern Man. It's just a matter of laziness--who wants to (or has time to) wipe their toothbrush off every time they use it. By the time I brush my teeth in the morning, I'm already five minutes late. No time to spare.

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 5:55:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2009 5:59:08 AM PDT
Susan Katz says:
"These things" should last much longer than a couple years. I have had my Interplak e-brush for nearly 15 years, and it continues to work just fine. The only reason it needs to be replaced is that brushes are becoming harder to come and prices are going up (to meet demand).

I will pass on this item if it only lasts "a couple years".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 6:09:45 AM PST
Nicole says:
My original Sonicare lasted about 8 years. The new ones do seem designed to fail in 2 years -- my last two have reached that magic date and start to lock up.

But they do work very well on your gums -- far better than the Interplak, at least for me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 7:53:41 AM PDT
My husband and I's first Sonicares lasted about 3 years before the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Our current Sonicares (which is this model, the Essence 5300, or at least looks just like this model) are over 4 years old with no signs of slowing down. They still hold their charge as well as the day we bought them. So, they will last you more than "a couple years", Sue B. Sonicare is getting better at making these last longer than they did in the past.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 6:56:05 AM PDT
Victoria Lee says:
Hey Renee, you don't need to clean it except when you're cleaning up the bathroom! I do this for others as their housekeeper, and it was the first comment I heard when I started my job, "Gee-my toothbrush holder's never been this clean!" my boss said, in awe. All it takes is a paper towel with any kind of cleaner you'd use on plastic, less than 15 seconds, and a tad of elbow grease!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 6:58:21 AM PDT
Victoria Lee says:
The Sonicare is the finest on the planet, according to my hygienist, she can tell if her patients are using the Philips Sonicare. As a person whose younger brother has lost all but 2 of his teeth from poor dental hygiene, I value the sonicare and am willing to pay and put up with (mine was 3-years of service) the typical appliance patterns we have of work, break, and discard. Any thoughts on recycling effectively?

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 9:19:25 PM PST
NorthernCal says:
I've had my sonicare unit for 20 years! I just keep replacing the toothbrush and it has worked just fine until recently when the 2 minute timer shuts off at 1 1/2 minutes or sometimes even 1 minute. And, of course my handle is discolored also. I'm looking to replace and I only need one so I'm thinking of going with this one. We'll see how long one of these new ones last - if it's as long as the one I have now it may be the last one I buy!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,694 customer reviews)
 (1,082)