5.0 out of 5 stars Best automatic espresso machine under $1,200..., October 13, 2011
This review is from: DeLonghi Blue Lattissima Plus Nespresso Capsule System (Kitchen)
Being lazy and on a budget we've been using Keurig for a few years for morning coffee, and a simple Makineta on the weekends for a real espresso taste. The Keurig is not really coffee, but it is fast and easy. The Makineta produces exceptional espresso, but it is hard to setup and clean, only creates two shots at one cycle and you have to froth the milk separately. Bottom line - not a practical solution on weekday mornings when you need to get the kids to school, feed and walk the dog before heading out to work. When we came back from a trip to Europe this summer we couldn't even look at the Keurig machine anymore, and we shifted our search for a fully automatic espresso machine to high gear. I've been following the Nespresso machine for a while now, but never got one because I wanted a machine that does it all. The only other machine I was considering was the Jura, but I could never get myself to pay over $1,200 for an espresso machine. The day I saw a video online featuring the Nespresso Latissima I knew that my prayers were finally been answered. The first chance I got I went to the Sur-La-Table store in DC to see it in action and to get a taste. 10 minutes later I was carrying a nice red one back to the car with a big smile on my face. I took a leap of faith because I usually wait to see more than 2 reviews for a product before purchasing it, but everything about this machine seemed right.

Two weeks later we couldn't be more pleased with the results - we LOVE it!!! The box comes with a variety of samples that were gone really fast, and we are into our second order from the online store - we can't stop using it... I don't like buying capsules - I prefer to buy and grind my own coffee and I know I'm paying more for the capsule system, but I can live with it because of the speed, the ease of use, the cleaning and the taste of course. From the moment I turn the machine on to the time I hold a cup of an amazing latte in my hands it takes about five minutes, and the next cup will take about two minutes. When you are done you use the rinse button, and simply take the milk container and place it back in the fridge. What really surprised me was the quality and the consistency of the frothed milk - it is very thick and creamy, almost like whipped cream. The milk volume can be adjusted on the go with a dial, and if you are really picky, then you can use the programming buttons to tweak the modes (we didn't see a need to change anything). One more word about the capsules - You can only buy them online from Nespresso, or at specific Bloomingdale's locations. I don't like this because it requires planing ahead, but on the other hand they deliver in two business days, and I guess this is their way to keep the capsuls fresh and under tight control.

Bottom line - I still think that the Jura is a better machine in terms of freshness(instant grind), but the Nespresso Latissima is going to give it a good run for the money coming in at about 1/4 of the price with almost as good results. Who would think that I could just walk out of my house every morning with a fresh Cappuccino or Latte that is better than Sta***ks and took under 5 minutes to prepare with no cleaning afterwards? I'm happy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 3:07:50 PM PST
My hangup is similar in that I want to use my own grinds (organic and fair trade) not "capsules"....do you know of a machine that is a coffee/expresso maker that allows for you to use your own grinds?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 6:14:07 AM PDT
Check out these fill yourself capsules for Nespresso: CoffeeDuck Refillable Coffee Capsules For Nespresso - 3 Pods - These Espresso Cups fit all Nespresso machines from after October 2010

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 9:12:29 PM PDT
RR says:
This is kind of off topic but why do you say Keurig is Not Real coffee? I have used Keurig for 5 years and love the taste. I am a big time coffee drinker and I like Keurig coffee much better than my old Bunn. I also like my coffee Strong and have no problem getting it that way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 12:34:38 PM PDT
Reviewer97 says:
I'm not a coffee snob, but I can see how my comment could come across that way. Like anything else - it is really a matter of taste and what we got use to growing up. For me the Keurig doesn't "hit the spot", but I do drink it at work and other places.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 12:40:34 PM PDT
Reviewer97 says:
I agree with you. It is a year later and we got a Breville Espresso maker with the grinder built in so we can grind our own beans. We get the Equal Exchange Organic Coffee (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5VMS/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from Amazon and we are very happy with this setup. The Lattissima is still doing well, but it is now doing it at work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 12:43:30 PM PDT
Reviewer97 says:
Haven't tried it yet. I ordered the Hiline capsules once, but they dont work that well in the machine, so I rather stick to the original Nespresso capsules although we don't use it as much as before (I took it to work).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›