Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 4k for the PRICE! Love the Web OS!, June 10, 2014
This review is from: LG Electronics 55UB8500 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model) (Electronics)
I got this 4k tv today and I love it! Did all the research a man can do before buying it! I could definitely afford a 2k+ Samsung 55HU8550 but why spend that much when you can get 1 "fairly" similar TV for $500 cheaper!? Of course the Samsung has a tad bit better picture but like I said even if you're very rich you can't be throwing money away. Just try it and if you don't like it, return it.

WebOS: I really love how easy it is to switch between Netflix/Hulu/cable, etc. Not sure about the guy complaining that it takes too long to load? Mine loads in a flash! Well i got Comcast internet so the internet speed definitely plays a role in that. The interface is so user-friendly I have to wonder why nobody's thought of this before! Go to the nearest Best Buy/Sam's club/HHGREGG, etc. and try it! you will not want to go back to pressing buttons anymore after you've tried the LG WebOS.

3D: I like the passive 3D a lot more than the active ones. First of all, you don't need to buy expensive glasses for it to work. My daughter took home a pair of 3D theater glasses and it worked perfectly! There's also no hassle of charging/replacing batteries. Plus, the passive 3D glasses never "breaks" not like the active ones because it doesn't have any mechanical activity at all. Quality is AMAZING! 2D to 3D conversion is so-so but that's the same with all other 3D tvs. But watching Avatar 3D blu-ray blew my mind away!

Netflix issue: There is no issue! Like some people said, initially it didn't run out-of-the-box but if you'd had any experience with computers/tablets/smart phones/SMART TV... you would know to check for updates the moment you get them! I was actually relieved that it is SO EASY to update the LG system and now I know that if there are any problems later on LG can/will fix it through an update. Unless it's a hardware issue of course. The system alerted me that there is an update 5 minutes after I started playing with it.

IPS panel: If you're into computers and have had experience with IPS panel monitors then you'll definitely love this TV. I have a large family and it's amazing that the picture quality is the same whatever angle you're watching the TV from.

4K content: There's not a lot of 4k content out yet BUT the HD to 4K or "near 4K" conversion is awesome and is the biggest reason why you should buy a 4K TV at about the same price as other HDTVs! I have researched all the 2013/2014 TVs out there and I've narrowed my options down to: Samsung 55HU8550($2297), Samsung 60F7500 non-4K($1879), and this LG 55UB8500 currently out for $1714! This price and the quality won me over!

The automatic picture settings are not too bad. But if you're really into "quality" picture then you know not to depend on these automatic picture settings! I'm still playing with mine so I can't give any suggestions yet.

Summary: Awesome TV, Awesome price, Happy wallet, Happy wife= Happy me! Seriously, just try it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2014 8:06:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2014 8:06:42 AM PDT
Dani says:
Did you try to watch a movie at night or in a dark room?.
The 3d has not crosstalk at all ?.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014 9:21:18 AM PDT
Alan Roy T. says:
Nope, I didn't notice any. I'm pretty sure there were some but very minimal. Crosstalk is subjective in nature though and it will depend on your eyesight, depth perception, spatial difference between your eyes, use of glasses/lenses, etc. (BTW i have 20/20 vision but didn't see any issues) And of course if you're just watching a movie to find crosstalk, you probably will--whatever TV you're watching it from... IMHO

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 11:34:02 PM PDT
I did not see your post on the internet on 6/10/14 when i placed a order for the 49in. I would go bigger but as i live in a apartment i do not have the room. Do you think my internet will be ok for this TV. I have Mediacom cable internet my download speed on tests is anywhere from 54mbps to 43mbps my upload is around 6.5mbps. I will not get this TV tell 6/18/14. thank you in advance

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2014 7:03:10 AM PDT
Alan Roy T. says:
I think you'll be fine as long as you don't use any of those dial-up internet kind. Your internet speed also depends a lot on the quality of your router if you're using Wifi. My modem is right by my TV so I have it wired. It's best to wire it directly instead of using Wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2014 11:18:42 PM PDT
Hi Alan, did you also think the Sony 49" 850 has a better picture than your LG 8500? I thought so but I came home today with the LG 8500 from fry's incredible weekend promo of no sales tax, free 3yr ext warranty, free wall mount bundle, & free delivery. The sony didn't have the same offer.

Btw I did not think the samsung 8550 was better than LG or sony. I thought their picture was very hot & not as smooth as LG or sony but it's all relative. The sony with that Triluminous feature made their picture really pop & just very nice.

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 9:25:33 AM PST
Duck says:
Uhhhhh, did you really just admit that your daughter is a thief? I work at a theater and I can assure you that just because we don't always have the 3D theaters manned to ensure no one is stealing the polarized glasses, the return bin at the exit is NOT optional. They go through industrial washing and repackaging for reuse.

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 12:02:05 PM PST
Chen Xulian says:
That was a pretty great review. I bought the same sharp tv to replace my previous 10-year old junk but I couldn't stand the cables just hanging around behind the TV. Just not used to them, I guess. I saw this brand called FlexiMounts and they had a ""cable management mount"" for a pretty reasonable price that worked perfectly. It's a must buy if you're as OCD as I am. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›