5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, nutritious slow cooker recipes you'll love - vegan or not!, September 20, 2011
This review is from: The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour (Paperback)
Before I begin, let me make this clear: my husband and I are not vegans, or even vegetarians. So I hope you're pleasantly surprised to hear that upon opening this book for the first time, I literally bookmarked at least 15 recipes and couldn't decide what to make first. And even moreso, that our experiences thus far have been great. We've enjoyed the Italian Eggplant Casserole with Cashew-Tofu Ricotta and Pantry Pot Pie so much that we fight over leftovers. Last night I made the Whole Wheat Pumpkin Gingerbread and had a little sliver this morning - fantastic!

For a long time, I was not the biggest fan of the slow cooker because most of the recipes I found were comprised of processed ingredients and just plain boring and bland. And let's not forget the slow cooker recipes that require a zillion preparation steps, thus defeating the purpose of an appliance that is meant to save some time. Recently, though, that's been changing, as I've been compiling and developing a lot more recipes that fit my desire for flavorful, healthy recipes using wholesome ingredients. And that are quite easy to throw together. This book is a wonderful piece of that collection and I can't wait to try more of the recipes, because they all meet exactly what I'm looking for.

Besides great food, Hester delivers others requirements of a great cookbook: simple ingredient lists; clear, concise instructions (that even highlight the steps which can be completed the night before); and options for substitutions to meet various dietary needs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 9:59:09 AM PDT
Your review is why I'm buying the book. It's EXTREMELY important for vegan recipes to be pre-approved by non vegetarians. Then I know for sure that they taste wonderful and that my non vegetarian friends & family are not "turned off" by the lifestyle. They may even even go so far as to ask for the recipe to make themselves. I want my loved ones to ask for seconds and incorporate healthy meals into their week!

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 12:32:33 PM PST
Anne Speck says:
I haven't gotten far enough into the book to feel like I can write my own review, but so far my experience has been like yours. I made the pumpkin "oatmeal" (actually steel-cut oats) last week and have enjoyed it for several breakfasts this week. I'm currently on my second mug of chai from her recipe and loving it too. I have a list of "to try" recipes -- I am really looking forward to the seitan and the apple-sage "sausage" (another seitan preparation rather than soy).

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:43:08 PM PDT
Does this book include nutritional stats for each recipe? I'm a diabetic vegan and need to be careful with my carb/fiber ratios. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 5:47:31 PM PST
O. Palmer says:
Loves to read: I don't know about this book, I just ordered it. But I have two vegetarian/vegan cookbooks I love and they do have the nutritional facts for the recipes. Raising Vegetarian Children by Joanne Stepaniak M.S.ED., and Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D. ( I use this book for the whole family not just for kids) and the Vegetarian Mother's cookbook by Cathe Olson. I love both these books.... you don't need little kids around to use these recipes.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2014 10:11:00 AM PST
elizaduckie says:
I am trying to be vegan and am diabetic. I am getting so annoyed at finding publishers reviews do not mention whether the book has the nutritional counts. It may be the default is they don't mention it when it is not included...but for some older books I'm still not sure if that's the case. I have recently purchased Cookin11 a windows based program to run on my Mac..precisely in order to run nutritional counts for every recipe. Yes it takes a bit of time, initially, to enter your stuff, but there are apps (included with purchase) for Mac and Android (so far) that grab the recipe, picture and all, by photographing it, then you run the nutritional counts. You can change things within the recipe to fiddle with the counts. I'm not crazy about the typical windows look of the program, but thankfully I find the apps far more appealing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›