5.0 out of 5 stars From an Xbox owner, November 1, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle (Video Game)
Okay, the hardest part of any review to me is an introduction. I am primarily an Xbox 360 owner, and that is what I use for most online games such as Battlefield or Call of Duty. However, I can now confidently say that spending $300 for a PS3 is worth it just for the sake of the Uncharted series alone. I would literally throw down that kind of money just for these three games, something I have not done since the original Xbox when Halo came out. I played the first two games on my buddies PS3 a few years back, but only recently decided to claim actual ownership over a PS3 system with the purchase of this bundle. I like the system, its controller feels great, feels reliable (basically it doesn't feel cheap). I like the fact that the system is silent when playing games, I also like that the online is free (but I feel Xbox Live is more organized, and yes I'll admit, there is a bias to my statement, sorry guys).

I'm going to go ahead and close this review, making it a short one. Why? Because I feel I summed up that I obviously like the system and the Uncharted series. I also feel that there are already plenty of reviews that go into explicit detail over the system, online, Blu-Ray and games. If you don't own a PS3, but want to jump into the PlayStation community, while experiencing a great game series such as Uncharted, buy this bundle. Playing Uncharted has done something to me that no other game has done since Halo ten years prior or Shenmue for the Dreamcast twelve years prior, and that is spend hundreds of dollars to play one game. That comment alone I believe sums up this review and any review from any individual or game site. Uncharted is the PlayStation's Halo - its "killer app", and to me, worth spending the money to experience.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2011 1:01:14 AM PDT
H. Phan says:
Can you check for me the firmware version of the PS3 that come with this bundle ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 5:55:44 AM PDT
Danial Vereb says:
I'm not sure, I did have to download a new firmware update when I hooked the system up and connected it to the internet. I'm sorry I can't give you a specific answer, I was preoccupied with coming up with a PS3 gamer tag while the firmware was being updated. All I can say is if i had to download a firmware update as I did, then the system does not come pre-updated with the latest firmware. It's vague, and now that you bring up your question, I wish I had paid attention to what version the firmware was. Sorry for that.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 7:10:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2011 7:10:58 AM PDT
A. Landry says:
Exactly - was a PS1 Maniac was ready for PS2; Then I played Halo and bought an Xbox and skipped PS2; I am a 100% Halo fan till the end; it started when I played it at a kiosk back in 2001, no game has had the effect Halo has had in my gaming life, the universe the community and Xbox live layered on top just one great Exp. I will hold tight with my Xbox for Halo 4 and will buy the new Xbox for Halo 5 and 6.

With that being said; Then I played Uncharted 2 - It is the ONLY game\series I can honestly say has come close to making me have that Halo feeling all over again, Uncharted is simply an experience everyone should have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 7:42:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2011 10:18:31 AM PDT
Me too. I bought an Xbox 360 four years ago just to play Halo 2 & 3 (I had already played Halo 1 to death on my PC). I was a big Halo fan. It was something very special. But lately I've come to HATE Microsoft and xbox gaming overall, because lately they have just been ripping us off excessively while NOT delivering first rate exclusive games anymore. There are NO epic new xbox 360 exclusive games anymore. Gears of War 3 is just a tired retread of 1 & 2 with minor tweaks to multiplayer. Halo ODST and Reach are terrible. Apparently they have new people working on Halo games who are inferior to the original Bungie team, and it shows. Meanwhile, I see that PS3 has now built up an extensive collection of great exclusive games that I want to play. I'm definitely going to buy a PS3. Xbox Live may be a good service technically, but I hate the annoying, mean little boys and all the rip-off prices for everything.

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 12:04:20 AM PDT
Eric Berling says:
Agree with everything. Coming from xbox since halo came out, it has been the only true game I also played no matter how bored of other games I got. I did own the Playstation 1 but that was a while ago. I ONLY bought this bundle for the sake of the Uncharted series and bluray movies. So far it has been great, loving uncharted and the playstation. I can't really seem to figure out what other games I should buy on it, as all the new games I play on my Xbox. I would recommend this to anyone who just want to play Uncharted alone or watch movies.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 7:12:14 PM PST
VA says:
I bought a PS3 to play UC2 and GOW3. Once I finished those, it was hard for me to keep the PS3 because Xbox Live (even though was paid) was much better. I also didn't like that you had to install demos after downloading them on the PS3. For Xbox it was instant play after you download. Lastly, on my Samsung 40 inch LCD, same games (like FIFA11) had better and more vivid pictures on the 360 vs. the PS3.

Overall PS3 was a great system, but for gaming I found the 360 much better. Hence, I sold it and kept the 360, plus I had the Wii too. But I am sure UC3 must be a killer game and worth buying the PS3 for. My two cents..

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 7:37:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2011 7:40:10 PM PST
@H. Phan - The PlayStation 3 system that comes in the Uncharted 3 bundle is 320GB, model CECH 3001B. It comes pre-installed with Version 3.66 of the system software/firmware.

You will be required to update it in order to play the Uncharted 3 game that is bundled with the system. I updated it to v3.73 on Nov. 10, 2011 and the game played without a problem so far.

Due to the required update, it can be said that the system and Uncharted 3 game don't truly work "out of the box" :-)

By the way, you do not need a PSN account in order to do system updates. Since I don't play online (I don't have the time), I don't even know if I'll bother creating a PSN account.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 7:34:58 AM PST
hello...does this ps3 bundle come with a warranty?

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 10:01:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 10:02:20 PM PST
Prometheus says:
I like to say, I have both systems and I use to think XBox was more organized but this last update isn't. I am having to hunt for things that used to be right there in front of me but are now inside the new categories menus.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 4:27:47 PM PST
I can completely relate to this review. A few months ago I had a chance to try Uncharted 1 on a friends PS3 and really felt the magic of this game series. These types of games come very rarely and I think its worth the expense. I've been holding out for a special just so I can get this game and this is it, I'm dropping $300 for all three games and the system. My main system will still be Xbox 360 but I will be using my PS3 for the exclusives and of course the Vita coming in a few months.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (290 customer reviews)

$379.97