4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic and will find a niche spot for sentimental individuals, January 13, 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm Instax MINI 25 Instant Film Camera (White) (Electronics)
I was never into Polaroids when I was younger. Now that I'm a college student with a disposable income, I wanted to invest in a camera. I tried using digital cameras, even DSLR photography. I never got completely into it. It wasn't something that you could really share or interact with people, especially in person, unless they were photograph buffs. The new instant line from Fujifilm made it possible to bridge a gap and make photography, once again, a group engagement for people with little or no skill to those endowed with photographical prowess.

First off, I'd like to point on the simplicity of it's design. Appearance wise, it looks beautiful. It really goes off of the minimalist look and only has what is really necessary for the product to really function. Typically, I hate curvy products or artwork (I prefer jagged corners or straight edges) but this camera's aesthetics appeals to all. As for size, I'd compare it to the size of a baseball. It's ergonomics make it easy to handle and rather difficult to drop.

Construction of quality is, overall, great! I really recommend you buy an anti-shock bag or pouch for your Instax Mini 25. I left it once in my messenger bag, but I think a jolt caused it to reset its counter, wasting the next available film to remove what it had just assumed was the exposure guard of a new cartridge of film. It also suffered from a nasty fall, and kept giving me an E error on the lcd screen. I took it apart, and found a part had come loose that wouldn't allow the motorized lens to collapse or expand properly (I was able to fix it however. Nothing actually broke). You could easily avoid this with a neoprene bag or some other padded accessory to protect your device.

It's quite easy to use. There are two shutter buttons which make it comfortable to take pictures in landscape or portrait. It has a tiny (very tiny, think like a 1/4 of a penny) lcd screen which shows the number of shots left in the cartridge currently inside the camera. It also has a interface which shows the shot mode. you can lighten or darken the next shot, shoot in landscape, and turn on flash. It has a view finder, and a self-shot mirror on the front. You can attach a hand strap (or a cellphone charm) to your camera.

Accessories are rare. Branded accessories from Fujifilm are non-existant, aside from specialty film. I found a studio which specialized in accesories, photoalbum, stickers, and the sort for the Instax. It's called 2NUL design. For most part, I've had to order these accessories over the internet, but the niche fans have made specialty cases and even lenses for the camera. They are, however, on the pricier side.

Last, cost effectiveness. You can print a standard photo at a local drugstore now-a-days for a bout five cents a print. In comparison, the film cartridges Fujifilm INSTAX MINI Twin Pack Instant Film fluctuates around $15.00. 20 shots for around 15 dollars leaves each shot from the Instax $.75. That's pretty steep price difference, however, remember these are instantaneous. I also like to compare these to the picture booths which are becoming popular, especially in small Asian communities. Sometimes, a session at the booth can cost from five to eighteen dollars. I like to bring around a sharpie to draw and date each photo or write some sort of memorabilia.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2011 12:58:40 AM PST
D. Rooker says:
This review was super helpful, I am a professional photographer and am looking for an instant camera for those lighting/instant set up situations I have. I just wanted to note, I don't know where anyone can get a digital picture printed for 5 cents. Even at Walmart their 3 day photo is 16 cents per print and their 1 hour is anywhere from 19 cents to 25 cents. Kodak and other kiosks or small business labs charge mid to upper 20s. I know it's not a huge difference, I just wanted to note that for someone who had zero digital experience and really was using the 5 cent development as a selling point over this camera.
I am excited to try it and will be ordering mine tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 11:29:37 AM PST
J. Bonifacio says:
That's great, I'm glad my review was informative. I print a lot of my photos online, and they have a lot of deals, so that's where I was getting the number. But I am aware of the prices for 1hr photo development in local stores. I hope you have a lot of fun with your camera. Mines almost a year old and I'm still playing with the thing.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 2:11:08 PM PST
cinnamon says:
Hi J, Thanks for the feedback! this is really great to know as I am shopping for a graduation gift for my cousin. I think it would be perfect for her to have fun, but yet she did mention that she would like a digital camera that doesn't waste a lot of battery. I might just consider this fun camera for myself. We shall see and thanks again! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 3:00:00 PM PST
J. Bonifacio says:
i'm glad I was able to help. I think I read somewhere that FujiFilm was interested in making a digital instant-film camera, in which you could save pictures and print them in polaroid form as well. It's a long ways off and I dont hear much of it now. i hope your cousin enjoys the gift.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:29:13 AM PDT
Online outlet MochiThings.com has accessories, mostly albums, mini storage boxes, and one or two bags. And stickers, if that is your thing. I might spring for this and appreciate your review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 4:11:58 PM PDT
ML says:
online at places like snapfish you can get prints for 8cents each, and they also run specials many times a year that lowers the price even more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2013 4:42:53 PM PST
You can send away and get photos printed for 5 cents a photo.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (231 customer reviews)

$125.99 $82.11