5.0 out of 5 stars We're not in 480p anymore, Toto, February 11, 2010
This review is from: The Wizard of Oz (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's remarkable to think this movie was made in 1939, having just watched the new Blu Ray release, because the 1080p restored transfer is simply stunning and looks as bright and as clear as if it were made only in the last decade.

As I'm sure all you fans are aware, color plays an important aspect in this film. The moment Dorothy emerges from her wind-blown sepia Kansas home into the rainbow Land of Oz takes your breath away and we've been seeing color for over 70 years. Imagine how the 1939 audience felt! If you truly want to experience this film like it was meant to be, you need to get it on Blu Ray. There's simply nothing like it. I'm in love with Blu Ray for all my movies now, but when I watch these classics digitally restored it really makes the technology shine.

How many times had I seen the Wizard of Oz before the release? It would be impossible to count, and yet, having just seen it in such clarity the entire experience was fresh and exciting. Directors and film makers go into a lot of work to make classics like this, and when color plays such a huge role, you want to see it exactly as it was intended. I am certain director Victor Fleming would have wanted us to see this version. It was how it was meant to be seen.

In conclusion of my review, I am sorry if you were interested in a plot summary or even my review of the extras. I haven't got around to the bonus features yet, but I figured most of you are more interested in the quality of the Blu Ray transfer. I have been burned by some poor Blu Rays that were not much better than the DVD, but this release of Oz was not one of them. I'd even go so far as to say it was one of the better if not best I've seen. I understand there are a couple different Blu Ray releases of this, so for the hardcore fan I'm sure the extras are worth the price. Otherwise, I would highly recommend the budget version because this is one of the most classic films in our history and it would be a shame not to experience it like no generation has ever been able to do.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2010 4:41:18 PM PST
I think you meant the title to say "We're not in 480p anymore, Toto"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2010 5:41:23 PM PST
Tyson says:
whoops, you're right! thanks, I fixed it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2010 5:31:57 PM PST
Billy D says:
Some reviewers prefer the 2005 DVD version (eg, better color). Do you have thoughts on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2010 7:48:00 PM PST
Tyson says:
I think 90% of the time the people that are still trying to hold onto DVDs are the ones who have bought 100000s of them and don't want their massive collection to seem a waste. Obviously that's silly because Blu Ray players play DVDs...

With that being said though, I can see some purist point of views. For example, I watched the Gigi [Blu-ray] and there were times that the coloring found a little too computerized. This could be the simple phenomenon of Thinking it's bad simply because it looks different. Perhaps Blu Ray just made the film look so crisp it seemed unreal. In any case, the enhanced clarity makes every blu ray a great experience.

Perhaps there's a similar feeling about this Wizard of Oz. I don't have the 2005 DVD with me to compare, but the color looks so crisp and perfect to me on Blu that I think the quality loss would ruin the DVD even if the color is somehow better.

There's also people who have argued Disney's classic Pinocchio (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition + Standard DVD+ BD Live) [Blu-ray] uses an entirely different color palette and therefore is ruining the classic. Maybe, maybe not, but I've never seen Pinocchio look that great before and I'll take it even if it is a little different.

There will always be purists who want their movies scratched, old and grainy like in the glory days. I'm just not one of those people, I have a hard time watching regular DVDs now because they look like how VHS's looks when DVDs came out. Maybe in 10 years even Blu Ray will look messy, but in the mean time it's remarkable and I can't embrace it enough for new releases. You do have to be careful with some of the budget re-releases though if you're simply upgrading, there are some "Blu Rays" that are just the DVDs on a fancy disc.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Tyson
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 231