5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth Time's A Charm, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
Let me start by giving a little bit of background--I'm a huge fan of Taylor's, but I'm also not afraid to give my true perception of something if it's not perfect. Just so you know what I was thinking when I wrote this, my favorite kind of songs are usually slower ballads with deep lyrics. I'm not too picky about genre.

Now I'm going to give a brief description of the songs (as I perceive them) and then a couple thoughts. I'll rate each song out of 10, and the ratings are relative to other songs on the album. And I'm reviewing the deluxe edition, so there's six more songs.

1. State of Grace: Epic album opener. Rock-oriented. Reminds me of OneRepublic. Lyrics quite strong. 8/10
2. Red: Mix of country-rock and pop-rock. Banjos feature, but so does auto-tune. Lyrics strong, but slightly awkward. 6/10
3. Treacherous: Not really sure of the genre, but it's a superb track. Possibly country-folk-pop. Very strong lyrics. Best melody: "Two headlights shine..." 9/10
4. I Knew You Were Trouble.: Pop/dubstep. Fantastically catchy chorus. Vocals slightly strained on verses. Pretty strong lyrics, certainly best of Max Martin collabs. 6/10
5. All Too Well: A strong country-folk ballad. A lyrical masterpiece. Quite possibly the lyrical highlight of her career so far. Certainly one of the strongest songs on the album, both melodically and lyrically. 10/10
6. 22: Avril Levigne meets Kesha meets... Taylor? It's fun and catchy but her voice sounds awful and it just doesn't fit well. Honestly I would rather have seen Girl At Home take its place. 3/10
7. I Almost Do: Definitely a throwback to her first album. It has a very country feel, but for some reason it just doesn't stand out. It's not bad though. 6/10
8. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together: Terrible. Sorry. Pop crap. This song could've been replaced a thousand times over with The Moment I Knew. 2/10
9. Stay Stay Stay: It's cheesy and silly, but there's a joy in Taylor's voice that's just infectious. Ukulele is the main instrument. Reminds me of Ours, but slightly less lyrically prolific. It makes for a mood lifter in an album of quite depressing songs. 6/10
10. The Last Time: Piano and strings are the main instruments. Gary Lightbody's voice and Taylor's blend beautifully in this sweeping ballad. 9/10
11. Holy Ground: I really hoped this song would be Irish-influenced. Instead it's an upbeat, dance-y drum driven pop track. I neither like nor dislike it. 5/10
12. Sad Beautiful Tragic: This song rips out your heart, leaves it bleeding, tries to sow it back together and then repeats the entire process. Her vocals are certainly the best they have ever been. Lyrics are heart wrenching. My favorite song. Kind of Last Kiss + Safe & Sound. 10/10
13. The Lucky One: Absolutely fascinating subject. I heard someone describe the genre as alternative folk, and I think that works. It has a very minor tone. Some of her most introspective lyrics ever. Parts of it remind me of Untouchable, and "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 (just the feel). 10/10
14. Everything Has Changed: Very, very organic folksy feel. The production is sparse and it almost sounds like a live recording. I think it gets better as it progresses. While Ed and Taylor's voices don't quite blend as well as Gary and Taylor's, it's still quite nice. 7/10
15. Starlight: This is definitely a magical song. The tinkling piano feels like sprinkled fairy dust. The chorus melody reminds me too much of "Don't Trust Me" by 3OH3! 6/10
16. Begin Again: Fantastic melody, lyrics, production. Very vulnerable and emotional vocal performance. 9/10

Bonus Tracks
17. The Moment I Knew: Depressing. Feels country but strong poppy drums. Very relatable, nice imagery. 8/10
18. Come Back...Be Here: Feels country pop. Could probably easily be a Speak Now track. Nothing particularly unique or standout here, I get why it's bonus. 5/10
19. Girl At Home: Quite pop. Interesting subject... it's funny, because she's doing exactly what she told the guy in Should've Said No to do... not cheat under pressure! 7/10
20. Treacherous (demo): I don't understand, it sounds exactly the same to me... maybe just slightly less production on vocals? Like that softening effect in my favorite part. But... just why? 7/10
21. Red (demo): Once again... not sure what's that difference. Slightly different production, but really... there's still the RE-EH-EH-EDs I hate so much. 5/10
22. State of Grace (acoustic): Oh. My. God. As much as I love the original, this is what an acoustic song should sound like. Perfection. Vocals, atmosphere = oooh. 9/10

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2012 10:27:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 2:09:22 AM PST
kline says:
I still need to listen the album a couple of times more and let it sink in before I can write a formal review. But I absolutely love The Lucky One. This has become one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs. This song reminds me the unreleased Emily song (brought up that way) Taylor wrote a while ago, which I like a lot. It caught my attention the first time I was listening the album and it's the only one I went back and listened again right after the first time. Probably not concert material though I'd love to see her performing this in a concert/cinematic setting.

All Too Well is a bit nostalgic. It's like the best song in Fearless but much richer. I love Begin Again, one of the best songs in the album.

And I agree WANEGBT is the worst song in the album. (I would give it a 6/10 though as it is a passable song. If you watch its music video - not the one with Taylor and a lot of others dressed as animals, but the one with an animated notebook - it is a pretty fun song.) I actually skipped it the first time I was listening to the album. I am not sure what she was thinking to use WANEGBT (instead of something like Stay Stay Stay) as a pilot/promotion song. I was worried that every song in RED was like that. I was relieved that RED got a good mix of songs. There are hits and misses (for me) and not as consistent as her previous albums but definitely much more richer and more mature in general.

I still think Taylor is best at writing country/folk than pop songs.

Taylor wrote The Lucky One alone.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 5:54:14 AM PDT
I must say, this CD terrified me once I heard "We are Never Ever Getting Back Together." I agree that it's about a 2/10. I'll try listening to some of the songs you said were a bit better though. I know I can't buy the CD though because every time I'd have to skip that horrible song and that's just ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 7:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 5:18:34 PM PDT
jojoinpink54 says:
Hey Rachel! What I actually did (because I didn't want to have to listen to WANEGBT and 22 every time I heard the album) is I actually downloaded the deluxe edition, and then burned a CD with Girl At Home in place of 22 and The Moment I Knew in place of WANEGBT. I like the CD much better that way! Don't know if it would work for you but just thought I'd share :)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 2:29:02 PM PDT
Okay, I have a question, what CD has the bonus tracks? I ordered the CD through Amazon, so I don't have it yet, but now that I see there is one with Bonus Tracks I am a little concerned... are the bonus tracks on all editions or just at a certain store? I guess if it comes down to it, and the one I got is bonus free, it could become a Christmas present while I try and hunt down a bonus track CD.... I am just wondering because with your review it seems that the bonus tracks 17 and 19 are great songs and it would really bother me not to be able to hear those tracks....

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 2:38:36 PM PDT
Jack says:
Couldn't agree more, this is a perfect review of the album. I am definitely disappointed with it but not everything can be perfect. Only thing I would change is in all seriousness you are being VERY generous with 22. a 3/10 I couldn't get more than 30 seconds through the song before turning it off, it was the worst thing ever, and in my opinion even worse than We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (which I really did not think was possible, especially after watching the music video). I would give 22 either a 0/10 [yes it was that bad] or if I was being generous a 1/10, a song that I can't even get close to finishing is a song not worth listening to. With WANEGBT 2/10 seems spot on, I was so excited for the new album, heard that song, it completely crushed everything for me, it was THAT bad.

Begin Again is definitely my favorite (one of the high points of this album) as well as Treacherous and Everything Has Changed.

Overall it is not a horrible album but being used to Speak Now, Fearless, and the self titled "Taylor Swift" albums I was just so disappointed at the lack of country and perfection (like Speak Now). The album really only has 3 horrible songs, which isn't that bad for a normal album, but compared to Speak Now it's bad. Speak Now definitely spoiled my expectations for Red. Oh well. As long as Taylor doesn't completely turn pop (which I am afraid will eventually happen, because everyone knows we need another mainstream pop singer in the world) I feel like she will still have great songs, now get to wait for the next album... woo.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 2:39:38 PM PDT
Jack says:
The Target Deluxe Edition has the bonus songs, I preordered it but I have not heard them yet, hopefully they're good

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 11:03:42 PM PDT
kline says:
the iTunes deluxe edition also has the bonus songs (so long for the exclusive Target deal...) but they are in digital format. i got the Target version.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:32:48 AM PDT
There are Sixteen (16) Songs on the CD I purchased from Amazon.com. Where did you come up with "Bonus Tracks", for a total of Twenty-Two (22) Songs? ---GBJ

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 2:35:14 PM PDT
Captain Nemo says:
No offense, but it's kinda strange you would rate this a five-star album when your overall average song rating is only seven out of ten. Going by your honest review is should be four stars.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:06:31 PM PDT
M. Sykes says:
Haha, I thought it was just me, Starlight absolutely sounds like "Don't Trust Me"!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›