5.0 out of 5 stars Zune- bye, bye Zen and Windows Media too, November 14, 2007
This review is from: Zune 8 GB Digital Media Player (Black) (Electronics)
I have a couple of Zen MP3 players that have worked well for me for a couple of years now, but both have begun to have problems and I decided to take a chance on the new V2 Zune. It was a good decision. This is a great product. All that comes in the box is the Zune, a sync cord, earphones, and brief documentation. You need to go online and download the Zune software to a PC and then hook up the player before you can get it to do anything. This doesn't take too long and the Zune will provide you with some sample content to try out as part of this process. The Zune sounds great, with plenty of volume and a decent set of earphones. The click wheel is intuitive and masterable in just a few minutes use.

As nice as the Zune is, a pleasant surprise is the Zune software. This is really more than just a tool to sync your tunes with your Zune. It is an attractive, intuitive, easy to use full fledged media player as well. It can easily replace Windows Media Player and is better looking than any other offering out there- Apple included.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2009 5:18:22 PM PST
hit nail on the head great software.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 9:09:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2009 11:12:48 PM PDT
All the features of this product made me really want to get one to replace my aging iPod Nano. But then I noticed quite a few posts by people complaining about the software. So before ordering the product, I downloaded the software for a test drive.
www.zune.net/en-us/software/download/default.htm

It soon crashed on me just like other people claimed. But the worst part in my opinion is the lack of functionality compared to iTunes. For example, in iTunes I can rate songs from 1-5 stars. I can maintain all sorts of other data about each song, then use this data to create smart playlists. That's a mere sample of the things I wanted which Zune doesn't do.

I'm no big fan of Apple or their products, but in my opinion Microsoft really needs to put some work into their software. I expected more from the world leader in PC software development.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 10:42:09 PM PDT
R. L. Lewis says:
I notice your criticism is rather generic as you mention no specific issues with the Zune software. You just don't like it. Fine. Don't use it. Stick with iTunes. No one cares.

I commented that I found the Zune software intuitive and much better than Windows Media Player. I think it is better looking than iTunes or other media players. That's it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›