Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars S590 A Great Player At A Great Price, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I've been looking for a Blu-ray player for awhile now and my purchase was delayed a bit due to so many conflicting feedback entries over products. I finally decided to go with a brand I trust, Sony, that had the features I was looking for and just see what happens. The S590 is 3d capable, but I have no interest in 3d and that is why I do not address it in my review.

Out of the box the player is a bit plasticy. (Is that a word?) Yes it feels a little cheap, but on the upside it is light and matches my other equipment. I don't need a Blu-ray player that is built like a tank. After all, it is just going to sit there on my media shelf playing movies. I don't get why people complain about it. Do they take their players mountain biking with them? So yes, the case is plastic, but I could not care less. One important note, an HDMI cable is not included with the unit, so be sure to have one if you want an HDMI connection.

I plugged in the player via HDMI and turned it on. First thing I established a wireless connection so I could update firmware. My router, in the next room, was seen immediately, along with routers from neighbors. I entered my password and was connected. Next, I updated the firmware. That took less than five minutes to do. Amazon Prime connectivity was next, then Netflix. No issues at all. I then decided to stream an Amazon Prime movie, Mission Impossible 3, as it is hi-def and I wanted to see what performance was like. The movie started up within 30 seconds, I saw I was getting between 8.4 and 10.2 megabits per second. The picture was clear and smooth. Over the weekend we streamed from Amazon Prime and Netflix and were very happy with the speed of connection and quality of video and sound.

I also tried playing Blu-Ray and DVD movies, both with no issues. I did not time how long it took to get a movie playing, but I can (very unscientifically) say that it was faster than what I have seen with several units. Everything played as expected.

Boot up time is acceptably fast. I chose the slower boot process as I don't want the player in standby mode all the time. When I turn the player on, I am able to choose what I want to do in about 15 - 20 seconds. More than acceptable.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the player. It is responsive, boots quickly and has handled my needs, (Blu-Ray disks, DVDs, Amazon Prime and Netflix.) I have not tried other features, so I can't speak to them. Given my experience, I would expect they would work as advertised, but you never know until you try them.

If I have friends looking for a Blu-Ray player, I won't hesitate to recommend the S590!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2012 6:21:26 AM PDT
Akbar Shroff says:
HI I wanna know if it plays .mkv files also?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 8:38:39 AM PDT
KGates says:
Sorry, I haven't tried so I don't know. I've not used mkv to this point, I just haven't had the need.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:09:49 PM PDT
"Do they take their players mountain biking with them?" That made me laugh out-loud and the rest of the review was helpful too. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 9:38:18 PM PDT
Hi. I realize this will probably be a stupid question, but in December, I will be getting my first HDTV for my bedroom and a Blu-Ray player (With HDMI cable.) The TV will be a 32" 1080p. Now...I only want this so I can watch Blu-Rays, and not really for hardcore cable watching. But I know that for HDTVs they all recommend you get HD service. Is it possible to still get the FULL quality of Blu-Rays with the TV and HDMI cable without HD channels? And how do you set it up? Thank you very much if you answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:51:20 PM PDT
KGates says:
No worries, this can all be confusing! You have multiple HD sources. The first would be your cable / satellite provider. The TV shows including network and cable will be in HD, though not 1080p. No worries though, you probably could not tell the difference! Your TV shows would be full screen and look great. Next, you have your DVD / Blu Ray box. You connect it with an HDMI cable and can view your movies as HD. Blu Ray will give you full 1080p. Last of all is streaming content from the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. This content is HD. All three are completely seperate, you don't need one to have the other. In order to have Netflix and other streaming services your Blu Ray player has to support the site, (it will be a feature for the player) and an Internet connection. Many people today use streaming services instead of cable/satellite. All of these different options require HDMI connections to get the best quality picture to your TV. That should not be a problem as your TV should have multiple HDMI inputs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:59:30 PM PDT
Arightie, thank you very much!!

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 10:08:50 AM PST
K.K. says:
hi j k, this is more a question than comment. as an older couple, my husband & myself don't game, stream, or anything like that. we get films by mail from netflix + have our own collection of dvds. we have gotten some bluray discs as a gift and are now in the market for a bd player. will this one also play our normal discs? i think they call it upgrading ? we have a new tv set so we should be set that way. we are not very capable in the digital world as many our age aren't, but do you think this player would be right for us, or maybe too 'high tech' ? also, how long can one expect these to last nowadays? seems like from people's comments they are constantly upgrading to a newer model. money is tight for us so i am just wondering. by the way, loved your humor about the bd player's encasement. i laughed out loud at that one! please let me know if you can answer my ( probably dumb-sounding) questions. thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 10:22:34 AM PST
KGates says:
Hello Sasha and glad to help. :)
The player will play DVDs, CDs and Bluray so you won't have any issues playing any disks. I would not consider the player too high tech as the menu is easy to navigate and you can either choose to sign up with a service, like using the streaming feature of Netflix, or not. The beauty of it is, if you decide to try something like Hulu it will be able to do so.
Some people like to keep up with the newest and greatest, but I'm not one of them. I will probably use this player for the next 3 - 5 years and be perfectly happy with it. For the record, it is still working perfectly, with maybe one exception. Several months ago the player went into a mode where it would not work. I was puzzled, so I went to settings and told the player to update its firmware. (Firmware is the software inside the player. It can be updated via the Internet.) The firmware updated and the player has continued on without a hiccup since. Of course, I still haven't taken it mountain biking with me. ;) Overall I'm really happy with the purchase and the quality of the player. Last of all, there are no dumb questions! :) I'm glad to share my experience with the player.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 4:35:30 PM PST
K.K. says:
Many thanks, J.K. Your thoughtful comments have helped us to figure out what we need & also the importance of keeping the firmware updated. I'm happy to know we can play our normal DVDs in it as well. Thanks for your time, we appreciate it much!

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:34:04 PM PST
J. Green says:
Just curious...are you using this with a Sony Brand TV also? Thank you for your time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›