81 of 88 people found the following review helpful
"Big What, Small How",
This review is from: The Gardens of Democracy: A New American Story of Citizenship, the Economy, and the Role of Government (Hardcover)
Like its predecessor "The True Patriot," this book is hugely thought-provoking. Quoting from the first chapter:
"If you can hold these paired thoughts in your head, we wrote this book for you:
- The federal government spends too much money. The wealthy should pay more taxes.
- Every American should have access to high-quality health care. We spend far too much on health care.
- We need to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We need to ensure that our economy continues to grow.
- Unions are a crucially important part of our economy and society. Unions have become overly protectionist and are in need of enormous amounts of reform.
- We need strong government. We need strong citizens."
Liu and Hanauer advocate "Big What, Small How" government, in contrast to the "small/small" of the right and the "big/big" of the left.
This book is a quick read that will make you think.
See Hanauer's recent Bloomberg op-ed: