3.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes but hard to find, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
I received this book in the mail just a few days before having guests for the week, and I thought it would be a great way to try out some of the recipes! I must say the book is gorgeous, and the photos make my mouth water. Not only that, but every recipe I've tried so far has been awesome! So why only three stars? Well because this book has absolutely the *worst* index I think I've ever seen in a cookbook.

The day my guests were arriving after a long day's drive I decided to make some guacamole for their arrival, and I recalled seeing a beautiful guacamole in the cookbook. So I pulled it out and did looked up "guacamole". Nothing. Not there at all. So I went to Avocado, hoping maybe to see something like "avocado, guacamole" as I have in other cookbooks. But NO, I got there and saw: "Avocado 30, 46, 56, 66, 92, 96, 128, 156 ..." and on and on. Lots of page references with no hint as to what the references were. My time was short so I just gave up and made my own guacamole recipe from memory, which is tasty anyway.

I also recalled seeing really excellent looking muffins in the cookbook and thought they would be great to make for breakfast one day, so again I turned to the index and looked for "muffins" and again under "muffins" there was Nothing, Zip, Nada. This time I was lucky however, as my eyes happened to fall on the entry "morning glory muffins" - right above where muffins SHOULD have been in the index. Yay, I made them and they were fabulous. But suppose they had been called "early rising muffins" or "great start muffins"? I sure never would have found them by searching the index.

I later found the guacamole when I had more time by starting at page one and thumbing through, and finally found "chunky guacamole" on page 66. And sure enough, the index referenced "chunky guacamole".

But is a person supposed to remember the NAME of every single recipe in order to find it in the index? I'm starting to write in by hand in the proper alphabetical location the recipes that look of interest to me. But why should I need to to?

That said the recipes I have tried were really good: morning glory muffins, banana bread, basic biscuits. And the pecash butter is totally awesome. I love that one. :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 16 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2011 6:02:03 AM PST
That's happened to me with other cookbooks...I don't know why more thought isn't put into index setup. I guess that's why your recount cracked me up this morning :-) Maybe you can pencil in where the word should appear.

I'm looking for a Paleo-type cookbook and may still get this, but thanks for the heads up.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 6:57:15 AM PST

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 9:29:24 AM PST
Julie says:
Great feedback and frankly we aren't sure how the index slipped by us for the first printing. Yes, guacamole should be there....not chunky guacamole.

The new index and Table of Contents are coming out with our next printing. We are also updating the index and TOC for current book owners on our blog: www.paleocomfortfoods.com

Thank you for the honest feedback. We hope you are enjoying our recipes and have a wonderful experience in the kitchen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 6:25:36 PM PST
sharon45 says:
When is the next printing?

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 12:15:43 PM PST
R. Pearman says:
I had a cookbook like that ONCE....Mrs. Jefferson's Famous Apple Pie comes to mind. I burned the damn thing rather than allow some other poor cook to be stuck with it from a yard sale or library. Only book I've ever burned in my life. I will NOT be buying this one....thank you so much for your honesty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 2:43:32 PM PST
Star Tulip says:
WHEN is the next printing? I won't buy until then.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 8:42:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 8:43:38 AM PST
David Rourke says:
Right on. I had the same experience finding the sweet potato casserole (which is excellent). The only way to find it from the index is to look at each page listed under "sweet potato." This is one of those cookbooks best gone through with sticky notes, so you don't forget what it's called and lose it.

The lack of a good index is pretty common these days, alas. I would definitely recommend buying this book despite that problem, as the recipes are great and the photography excellent.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 8:26:56 PM PST
I've noticed the same thing with this book. Overall, it's a great cookbook, but there are some issues that need to be fixed before they re-print!!

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 3:58:47 PM PST
Jane says:
Okay, so the organization of the cookbook wasn't that great, but if you look up "sides and sauces," guacamole shows up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find a recipe like that in a book that happens to have a picture of the finished product on almost every other page. I love this cookbook and think it's a wonderful addition to my growing paleo/primal collection... and anyone who reads your review might not want to purchase a lovely book full of recipes for paleo that are delicious and just inspired! Their paleo ketchup and meatloaf is so much better than the "bad for you" meatloaf and ketchup... and I'm not joking.

You might have to be creative as to navigating the cookbook, but it's not that long (have you seen Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking? It's gigantic and has much less pictures in comparison), and I started copying my favorite recipes or simply marking them with bookmarks or post it notes to help distinguish what I want to use. It's not a Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, but I like it better that way. I've tried a lot of paleo recipes now, and this is the ONLY book that has really delicious recipes, with ingredients that aren't too exotic or hard to find.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 8:42:06 AM PST
I would like to know when it is too!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›