2.0 out of 5 stars Not user friendly, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Cricut Expression 2 Electric Cutting Machine (Misc.)
I was sooo excited when I bought my new Cricut Expressions 2. Couldn't wait to use it! I've got the original Cricut (small) and have used my Mother and my neighbors Cricut Expressions. But now I was the one with the Cricut Expression 2...the newest one! Just bought it today..played around with it...I'm returning it tomorrow and buying the Sillouette Cameo.
The first Expressions was easier to use. A few things.
1} The touch screen (stylist included) made it difficult for me to simply load and unload my paper. You have to exit a screen to get to the next screen just to click on the Load and Unload button.
2} Same issue with resizing and adjusting position. You need to exit a screen, click a couple arrows to get to the icons to do the task.
This made me miss the instant buttons that are on the previous version. Simply press a button for pressure, quantity etc. Now you must scroll through menus to do these things. Just not as simple.
4} There is no upper flap to open when starting. Only a bottom flap. This bottom flap is short and thick, causing the mat and paper to dangle a bit too much over. This dangling that the mat does causes the paper on it to lift due to the bend, and in turn begins to shift while cutting.
5} The solution to this would be to download the Cricut Software which will allow me to do all this on the computer. However, there are many issues with the software, and is not allowing me to download due to a driver issue( not on my end)My husband is an I.T engineer, so not even he could troubleshoot this. And as he looked more online, he discovered this is a problem right now for many.
6} I was a huge Cricut fan! But Cricut is the only die cutter that makes you buy there software (over $50.00) and you can only use their cartridges and templates. Unlike other die cutters who include software with your purchase. (I discovered this after being very disappointed with my new purchase and began researching online of other die cutters.)
I am going to be purchasing the Sillouette Cameo...it just came out last month...I will post my review then! :)
PS.
I gave two stars cuz once you get it to cut..it cuts great! and is super quiet! But you still can only really cut cardstock or thicker. Anything thinner will snag in the Cricut.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2011 7:36:12 AM PST
V. Woo says:
You can pre-program all your settings so you don't have to scroll through every time. The cartridges are available online for much, much, less than $50, even the craft stores and Cricut.com have dramatically dropped their prices. If you're having trouble cutting paper then your pressure or speed is set too high or your mat is not sticky enough/not sticking it down sufficiently (which is also causing the paper to lift when it dangles off). You can google for cricut settings and there is a guide for what the appropriate settings are for just about every single brand of paper. It is a great machine, you just have to fiddle with it a bit at first to get it all set right.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 9:10:02 PM PST
V. Woo.
I have an Original Expression Machine. So I am very familiar with the mat and layout dynamics. When you purchase a newer version of something, you expect..better...but this new machine is worse. They've taken away many freedoms, and limited to an online only software. Even having to program the settings for the touch screen? That's no fun. The keypad was way easier..and even the dials. I've contacted Provocraft..and have been in direct contact with Jim Colby, VP of Product Dev elopement. That's how serious I am about my disappointment in this machine. Plus...I am not the only one that is feeling the frustrations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 4:12:31 PM PST
V. Woo says:
Your review made it sound like you were a new user. I happen to love mine, but everyone may have different experiences. It basically works as well as the Cricut Create I replaced (I wanted to make bigger shapes). I use my Gypsy without issue as well as Craft Room (and you can still use the cartridges individually). I like that you can go maximize the use of the mat directly on the machine (and don't HAVE to have a Gypsy or use Craft Room) and not waste paper the way I always did with just the keypad. I often line up all my layers with scraps on the mat and do it all in one pass. I understand why Provocraft discontinued Design Studio to something with a broader base (I have a Mac so could never use Design Studio). I know people are disappointed in the loss of other 3rd party software but it violated copyright law. I personally find it to be an improvement.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 10:33:04 AM PST
montyjasper says:
I'm interested to hear how you like the Silhouette. I currently have the older Silhouette aka RoboCraft which I HATE!!! I started looking at Cricut because I would like to do paper crafts and scrapbooking without needing to be a software developer. The Silhouette has unlimited potential IF you are proficient in Adobe or other graphics programs, which unfortunately I am not. I see a lot of mixed reviews on the Cricut... yes they trap you into buying their cartridges, this is how they make a profit. It's called business and I understand that it is smarter and more cost effective to do your own but if you cannot is Cricut the best option?

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 4:57:46 PM PST
Cassandra says:
I bought this today on sale at Michael's. It's still in the box as I am on the fence about returning it. I'll go checkout the Sillouette Cameo now. Thanks

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:25:48 AM PST
David says:
Looking for your review on the Cameo, but you haven't reviewed it yet!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:33:25 AM PST
David says:
Looking for your review on the Cameo, but you haven't reviewed it yet!

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:45:56 AM PDT
well sounds like a marketing team is writing these reviews and selling the "silhouette". ive used the cricut and its amazing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (654 customer reviews)

$249.99 $206.99