5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! TSO returns with a huge album!, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Night Castle (2 CD) (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of TSO for about 10 years now. I have gone to 3 concerts plus one this coming year. I remember waiting for the Beethoven CD and it did not disappoint. Then I waited after many delays for A Lost Christmas Eve and it came did not disappoint. It has been 5 years sense the last TSO album and its finally here! I remember hearing the preview songs and was not totally thrilled. It seemed over done, too clean, and it seemed there was too much hype that no album could ever overcome.

But the thing about Night Castle that makes a purchase worth it is the lyrics. TSO lyrics have only gotten better. My favorite song from their first album, Old City Bar, was the beginning of showing TSO's true colors. They aren't just about rocking out with electric guitars playing famous classical pieces....rather they take their time creating lyrics that mean so much more. "There was a life" may be my new favorite TSO piece over "What is Eternal" from the Beethoven CD. Not only do the lyrics have so much meaning but there seems to be a lot of effort in each song. Most songs are about 5 minutes long with some shorter and the longest at around 10. The sheer size of quantity AND quality show how much work has been put into this album.

Cons -
1. Seems overdone and over edited in some places
2. We have been waiting 5 years! So it may be too hyped

Pros -
1. Price is great for this double album
2. It seems there has been more effort put into this album than any other
3. A great mix of classic TSO album and their heart and soul lyrics that drive the album home
4. This album is a great for the entire album no matter what age you are.

Overall - I would say this would be a great addition to any TSO fans library. There are plenty of songs for non TSO listeners to be weened into being a fan with, especially if they aren't a fan of Christmas music.

This is a great CD. I highly recommend it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2009 10:41:56 AM PDT
Steve says:
All you guys that rated this five (5) star must be smoking something while you're listening to it. I'm a die-hard fan of TSO since 1999 and have been to every one of their concerts at least twice and sometimes three a year. This obviously was not meant to be a Christmas album as some have eluded. The Beethoven album is much better than this one. The main problem is the TSO we all know and love is not in this album. Too bad they didn't get input from TSO fans, but wait they have, all of us that go to their concerts enjoy that TSO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009 2:36:03 PM PDT
Sava Fan says:

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 11:24:03 PM PDT
D. Hodgson says:
To each his own, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the lyrical part of the show. Having seen the live Xmas performance three times now, the slow pacing and cloying sentimentality of "Big City Bar" and the Samuel L. Jackson-like narration that accompanies the story was fresh once, tolerable twice, but fast-forwardable the third time. It's the 2nd half of a TSO show that makes the ticket worth the price, when the band rocks out with virtuosic Xmas fury and improvisation. But even when the story starts to drag "And Then... The Child..." (Kill the darn child already!), the sheer production values are usually enough to keep you alert. Early impressions of "Night Castle" seem to weigh heavily on the former (overbearing story) and lightly on the latter (production is less weighty) .... will have to listen more.

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 1:09:47 PM PDT
"What is eternal" is a Savatage song, by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 2:25:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2009 2:26:48 PM PDT
YORK says:
I gotta agree, big time fan, seen them many times, love everything they have done. One of the few bands I buy sight unseen when they release something. One of the few bands I even care about in regard to lyrics. I think I knew this was not going to be a Christmas CD. I don't mind that although if they chose to do nothing else but Christmas stuff that wouldn't bother me either.THIS CD is quality enough but it was NOT worth the wait. IMO it is not better than Beethoven. You get some quality stuff for the price considering its two CD's. Your not going to go away thinking this is the worst thing you ever heard, far from it, but it falls short of the bar they have already set. I am continuing to listen to it, hopefully it will grow on me some more the way some CD's can. But I don't know which disturbs me more, that this CD fell short or we might have to wait another 4 or 5 years for them to try to make up for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 9:49:43 PM PST
Ann says:
Obviously you've missed the point of the Christmas story and "The Child" being the Christ child.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 8:58:23 AM PST
CLB says:
Ann, you're right on! The Christ Child He is and what Savior He is! I've seen the show nine times now over the years and the "Old City Bar" never eludes my heart. I am a Christian and am so happy that TSO continues on with their Christmas story. Those that don't like the story should refrain from this concert and just attend a "normal" rock concert. I just saw them Saturday afternoon in St. Louis and as always, was truly inspired and blessed!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 2:35:03 PM PDT
Hmmmm....what Savatage song is, "What is Eternal" based on? I am a huge fan of Savtage and TSO, but much moreso Savatage. I usually pick up on the Savatage references in TSO music, but am totally spacing on "What is Eternal".

In fact, I am almost positive you are wrong, but I would love it if you could correct me....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (390 customer reviews)

Reviewer