5.0 out of 5 stars We LOVE LOVE LOVE Pete the Cat, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes (Hardcover)
Well, just go ahead and add PK-4 to the list of people who LOVE Pete the Cat, both the book and the cat! No, make that LOVE LOVE LOVE Pete the Cat!

Never have I had a near-riot in the library on Library Day after those little ones first heard and saw the story of Pete the Cat.

Pete the Cat sings: I Love My White Shoes. I love my White Shoes. I love my White Shoes. How shall I describe our Pete? Fun, fun, fun! Frankly, I want to be just like Pete: unflappable, flexible, and adaptable. Make lemonade out of lemons. Go with the flow. One reviewer indicated the lesson is terrible: Accept your fate. Oh, I disagree. Pete saw no fate--just circumstances to turn into the next pleasant venture on his road of life. Pete? At the beginning he has new white shoes which he loves. In each adventure he steps into colorful piles--strawberries, blueberries, mud-- each time turning his shoes into a new color. Does he whine? Does he complain? "Goodness no!" He just sings a new song about blue shoes, red shoes, brown shoes. Oh, yes, there IS magic in this story, Virginia!!

In my school library, PK-4 (4-year-olds) practically demanded Pete the Cat for three weeks in a row. Never mind my new choice to read for the week--they wanted Pete!! So Pete it was--for three straight weeks.

(Secretly, I found it endearing that those children came into the library, singing, "I love my White Shoes. I love my white shoes---" and insisting, "We want Pete the Cat!" So I read it to them three weeks in a row.)

What is it about the song and book that plays such a chord on the hearts of children? The whimsy, I think. Also, tucked into a little envelope on the back of the front cover is an invitation to come visit their spot on YouTube and experience the song from the actual writer (Eric Litwin) and illustrator (James Dean, no, not that James Dean). Or, you can go to Harper Collins, the publisher.

Frankly, things don't get much better than a happy song about each and every bad luck event, each of which can be turned into something positive. What's not to like? This is a book every child will love--and the adult in his/her life!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2010 7:51:06 PM PST
Another helpful review. Nice job.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 7:59:15 AM PST
Mike, if you order just one for your little one, get this one AND get the little stuffed cat that goes with it. This book and animal has created a phenomenon with my PK3 and PK4 and K and first grade. I've never seen anything like it!! And be sure to go to the website for a download:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 10:47:26 AM PST
Judy, all these books for children that you review are making me achingly nostalgic. My son now has a fulltime girlfriend but I doubt that my prospects for ever reading to grandchildren are good. So what can I do? Travel once a week to a readerless town in Kansas and gather its kids around me in the local library? You supply the books, I'll supply the voice!

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 2:47:55 PM PST
I love, love, love your review, JUDE. Keep 'em coming. Your taste is excellent...in children's literature and everything. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 5:45:59 AM PST
Gio, Sorry to make you nostalgic. That's how I feel that I didn't have these books myself, although I did not feel deprived, plus I probably enjoy them more now than I would have then.

You know there is a solution--and I don't mean grandkids--

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 5:46:41 AM PST
Betty, you are too too kind! You're a real sweetheart!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (542 customer reviews)

$17.99 $9.82