5.0 out of 5 stars A good rebound in the right direction!, September 18, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Having played games for many years, I have come across some good ones, I have found some great ones, and I have those that flop. GTA 4 was a flop to me (though I did enjoy the Lost and the Damned DLC). However after finally getting my hands on this one I would happily rate this one a 5 out of 5.

Performance: When discussing performance along with many other points, I will continually be bringing up the aging consoles. The game runs smoothly, but not always perfect. Rarely but with the right factors, you will notice a slow up of frames. Loading times are hidden with the only one I experienced seeing being when I chose to skip a taxi ride and go straight to the destination. This creates a very seamless feel in trying to keep you in the world as much as possible.

Graphics: Graphically speaking, one must first look at the hardware that is being utilized. With that being said, Rockstar has taken huge leaps and clearly put alot of time into polishing their graphics. The textures are clean and the world is very bright.

Sound: The sound takes some messing with to get everything just how you want it. The sound from my vehicle was at first so loud that I couldnt hear the radio or commentary from pedestrians I passed by. However as always the radio is a staple of humor to an already amazing game. Other sounds that are noticeable go towards making the world seem full. All of the background audio really goes to breathe life into an already visually full city.

Gameplay: This I will break down into subsections to best address each characteristic of GTA.

--The world: Simply put, this world feels vibrant and just overall beautiful. You feel like your in a true city with traffic and pedestrians. The detail given into making this so nicely built leaves me questioning just how much chaos I want to cause while roaming the map.

--Driving: Driving, as stated in many reviews before mine, feels much more refined. While not a complete driving simulation, of which I am thankful for, it does offer a better feeling of weight in your vehicle. This is not to say you wont find yourself fishtailing in certain vehicles but the overall dimensions of driving feels much better. This also goes while riding on a motorcycle. For the first time I truly feel like there is weight to the motorcycle creating a better sense of how you are weaving in and out of traffic.

--Shooting: The Shooting mechanics have been given a decent overhaul as well. You are able to turn on/off aim assist depending on your preferences. The only negative I have found too weapons in the game is that the shotgun is unrealistically accurate even at long ranges and usually will result in a one shot kill.

--Character stats: While very basically put in I have found that I really enjoy progressing my characters stats. Each character has a unique set of skills that make them better in given situations but the ability to progress your characters stats by utilizing the stats makes this a very enjoyable experience.

--The Trio: Rockstars decision to create three versus the usual one protagonist creates a truly different experience. While I have found no character story that I love, I do love having the option of moving away from a character for a time to get lost in anothers story. It also creates interest in just finding out what your other protagonists have been doing with their time while you are away.

--The Story: This part I have not advanced much on but I have overall enjoyed each mission that I have been apart of. I will avoid any details on this though to avoid any spoilers. Still for a GTA game, I find this is the most interesting story they have ever delivered.

In summary, I feel that this is an amazing game. Sure there are some flaws, but the overall game more then makes up for the issue here or there. Rockstar has created a game that, in my opinion, will easily withstand time. This is going to be a benchmark as to how to build a game right. With easy replayability and a multiplayer portion that has not been released yet I expect to put alot of time in this world. I am still early on in the game so I am sure I have missed things, but I hope that this provides a bit of perspective on the game.

--PROs--
+Multiple Protagonists providing different skills and mindsets
+Great Driving Mechanics
+Beautiful living city
+Sophisticated AI: Cops are no longer a joke.

--CONs--