5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful new version, format, November 1, 2011
This review is from: Catholic Study Bible (Hardcover)
I was excited to see about the updated version, and it's wonderful. For this specific publication, the hardback is nice: sturdy, but lightweight. I love the indents that allow you to search quickly for a book. The type size is good on the text as well as footnotes. I have yet to read the updated introductions to everything, but I like this one even more than the previous editions.

Easy to navigate. Good typesize. Great new edition.

----Edited to include a comparison with the previous version----

I had used the previous version in my high school and college religion courses. Unfortunately, I do not have the older version to compare to directly, so this is all from what I recall.

I found the past edition to be a wonderful resource for comparative scripture reading. The notes draw wonderful connections between parallel texts. As I had said, I have used these in academic settings which are often more progressive. Both versions include new scholarship (as recent as the last five years) and provide a modern perspective. It does focus on the historical critical method within the reading guides, but I think that the notes within the text move away from that. I do believe that all commentary is faithful to Catholic teaching. It does focus on Catholic SCHOLARLY teaching instead of POPULAR Catholic tradition. This bible is very in line with current scholarship in the field which, at the moment, leans towards the more historical rather than I can understand how the H-C method can come across as highly critical/skeptical as it explores natural explanations for miracles (crossing the Red Sea, for example), but it does not conclude that this means that God had no hand in the events. Personally, I found it very helpful in my bible study to explore source criticism which is a specialty of this bible.

IN SHORT, this bible IS faithful to Catholic teaching and tradition. It would be especially helpful to those who are exploring the Bible in an academic setting or for someone who comes from outside the Catholic faith and wants a deep understanding of the Catholic bible study. This bible does focus more on academic study and articles versus mysticism.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2012 7:12:52 PM PST
Can you comment on whether or not the commentary and study notes have been updated from the earlier version? There are two reasons I am asking: 1) new translations often require revised interpretation on certain passages; and 2) in the earlier version if you look at the reviews online many people are criticizing it for commentary which is not always faithful to Catholic teaching and tradition. Any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated. I have considered purchasing this text several times but have been hesitant. Peace, and thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:09:50 PM PST
Penny Swears says:

In short, this bible IS faithful to Catholic teaching and tradition. It would be especially helpful to those who are exploring the Bible in an academic setting or for someone who comes from outside the Catholic faith and wants a deep understanding of the Catholic bible study. This bible does focus more on academic study and articles versus mysticism.
I hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:36:46 PM PST
Thanks for the follow-up...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (173 customer reviews)

$49.99 $35.43