3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but STILL glitchy as hell..., November 12, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The first Harry Potter Lego Wii (years 1-4) is a lot of fun and this game (years 5-7) falls right in line, with scenes and sets that are reminiscent of the first game, but with different perspectives. However, we are already finding several places where the game freezes. This makes it very frustrating to play, when you have to repeat everything 5 times (literally) in a row and it still freezes! The worst freeze we've found so far (we're in year 6, haven't completed the game yet) is in Year 6 at the Weasley home. The use of the Aguamenti water spell is critical to getting through this section, but if you use it too much other than with an Aguamenti symbol, the game freezes consistently. We're also seeing freezing in the quonset hut with Arthur Weasley, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent cause for this.

It's extremely disappointing to pay $50 for a game that has, in no way, improved in this area. Traveler's Tales are making a mint off the HP franchise name, and the oddest part is this: they also make the Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean Lego Wii games and none of those is nearly as glitchy as the Harry Potter games! What the heck, TT? Do you have a completely sub-par team working on the games tied to the largest movie franchise in history? Get your game straight- it's not worth the frustration. I've already heard (on the day after its release) rumours of recall by TT. I'd recommend keeping your receipt if you've already ordered to be prepared to ask Warner Brothers and TT for a replacement disk, or perhaps wait a while to order to see if they get this fixed.

In all, lots of fun. My 5 year old and I love playing, but the frustration with glitches takes the fun down a few levels.

Sunday 13 November: An update - The game has definitely been recalled. If you have a bad copy, look for the Customer Service number on the inside of your booklet that came with the game. When you call, you'll go through a menu to indicate the game and gaming system you're using, then a customer service rep can take your information to have a replacement disc mailed to you when they become available. No word on when that is, but the process was painless - I even got through to them at 9:30 on a Sunday morning!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2011 12:01:24 PM PST
Thanks, will wait to order this for Christmas.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 3:17:37 PM PST
Katie says:
Thanks. I was gonna wait until Christmas, but now I'll wait until I find out when the new discs are out.

Hopefully that won't be a long time coming

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 10:11:14 AM PST
Robin says:
I agree about the glitches, although the first one I found is the one in year 6 that you mention. I think it's a problem when you are destroying a bunch of stuff and it's generating a lot of studs. If you go through the area slowly -- just douse a couple of those small flames, pick up the studs, douse another couple of them, etc, you can get through it. There was an area in Pirates of the Caribbean that took me 6 tries to get through. I also think Batman is the buggiest -- there's one level where you're flying around looking for canisters that I can't finish -- it crashes every single time.

It does seem to me that they are having this problem less and less as time goes on. I don't remember hitting it at all in HP1-4, and haven't seen it in SW2CloneWars either. Yet.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 5:03:52 PM PST
T. King says:
Hello, your review has been very helpful. Can you confirm if you experienced these difficulties with the Wii version of the game? I am in contact with Amazon customer service and they appear to understand that the glitches are within the PC version. I pre-ordered the game for my son as a Christmas present so it will not be opened for a while and I wish to resolve this before he plays and gets frustrated. Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Kind regards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 5:47:54 PM PST
Robin says:
I have the version for the Wii, and it does happen in that same spot in year 6, but only that one spot (so far). I called them and sent the info they asked for so they could send me a replacement disk. They had no idea how long it would take. You CAN get around the glitches by not breaking all the waterbits at the same time -- just go slowly. LOVE the game.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 6:03:38 AM PST
I got through the garage to when Bellatrix shows up and starts the fires....then I started putting out the fires and it froze. It took me back to where I was having to cut through the forest to the train station. Then it froze up in the garage. It's frozen up on me in two other places through I can't recall exactly where...but it was in year 5.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 3:18:30 PM PST
J. V. Hawley says:
THANK YOU for posting this! I was going CRAZY trying to find information the first weekend I tried playing this game! I've had problems in all kinds of random places and in first AND second player mode on the Wii. I called Warner Bros. and they said it was recalled and there was no definite replacement on the way. :( I will write a formal review soon, but wanted to say thanks for being so helpful!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 8:16:06 AM PST
Thanks, Robin. We'll try this one again, because we are really jonesing to play this game! How do you explain recall to a 5 year old? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 8:16:32 AM PST
Hi T. King - yes, this was with the Wii version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 8:17:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 8:17:36 AM PST
J.V. Hawley - You're welcome. :) Thanks for the comment.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (208 customer reviews)

$19.99 $19.73