5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera. Hits the sweet-spot., November 21, 2012
This review is from: Sony NEX-6L/B Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LED (Black) (Electronics)
I received the camera about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it. Previously owned a Canon DSLR, but about a year ago realized that I wasn't using it as much due to size and decided to get my first NEX (5N). I was immediately blown away by the image quality (with just the kit lens). One of the few thinks I didn't like about the 5N was the lack of focus accuracy on moving subjects. After debating for some time between the NEX 5R and the 6 finally decided to order the 6.

Although the viewfinder was not the reason I opted for the 6, I have to admit that I like it a lot. I use it all the time; even to review images as they look much better (they have a really cool 3D look!).

I'm happy to report that Autofocus is significantly faster than it was on the 5N. It is for still subjects, but especially for moving subjects.

The menu layout is very similar to that of the 5N (and every NEX), which is not terrible but sometimes requires a little more digging than one would like. However, the inclusion of several external controls makes a big difference in accessing some of the most commonly used settings and adjustments. Especially the mode-dial and the control wheel right below. There is also an autoexposure lock button that you can use for that purpose, as well as re-program it to control over 20 other settings!

In my opinion, the whole experience of the user interface and controls layout is absolutely delightful and a real pleasure to use. It gives me that wow factor and makes me look forward to using it.

The kit zoom is more than adequate and takes very good pictures. If you understand what it is and don't expect the performance of a $1,000+ lens you should be satisfied. I'm planning to get more lenses in the near future, but for now I'm happy with the images it produces.

Wi-fi is a pretty cool feature to have. I can transfer pictures to my Android or ipad from anywhere. The camera creates its own wi-fi network and the mobile device connects to it. It has always worked for me.

Some of the thinks I like the most:

*Perfect size, viewfinder, external dials, excellent grip, built in (**tiltable**) flash, great image quality, size of the kit lens, wi-fi.

I would also like to share my personal opinion about some of the thinks some people have complained about:

*No external charger: I love having the option of being able to use the camera to charge the battery (if needed) with any micro-USB charger (cellphone car-charger for example). Before, the only option was the external charger. I purchased an external charger with two batteries for around $30 and they work flawless. No difference from the original.

*Removing the memory card: I don't really get that one. Seriously; I can remove the memory card without even looking at the compartment so I don't really know what they are talking about.

*Battery life: I guess that can be a little subjective, but all I can say based on my experience, is that I'm getting better battery life than with the 5N. Considering the fact that they use the same battery, no complaints here whatsoever.

The one think I'm not very thrilled about is that the flash button is mechanical and is a little hard to press. You almost have to use the nail.

Overall, I really like the camera. I think it has a lot of potential and I'm planning to keep it for a while.

I will update the review with more relevant observations when I have more hands-on time. In the mean time feel free to ask any questions you might have.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2012 8:33:46 PM PST
BookWorm says:
Yes one needs to press the flash button hard to raise the flash but I see it as an advantage. It is very easy to bend the extended flexible flash, if it is opened by accident (in you pocket, purse etc). Someone here called it "protected button" with edges raised around it. I would suggest to put a small piece of thin adhesive rubber on to convert it into a raised button. If you don't like, you can always peel it off.

Glad to hear that your SD card goes out easily, m.b. I just got a lemon. Very frustrating, I'd love to keep the camera.

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 6:34:21 PM PDT
andrey says:
Why are you choosing Nex6 instead of Nex 5R?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013 12:26:38 PM PDT
delbarcelona says:
Well, I do have an NEX 5R. I sold the NEX 6 and bought a Fujifilm X-E1 that I'm very happy with (my fav camera ever!). I use the 5R very little (mainly for fast action shots since it does tracking focus better than the Fuji). Although the 5R is a very capable camera, I don't use it as much now that I have the Fuji, but I can tell you that in my opinion the 6 is a much better camera than the 5R.
The main reasons are:
-Size (way more comfortable and better grip)
-Built in EVF (it's really awesome, didn't think I would love it as much before buying it)
-Built in flash with tilt-back
-A little better manual controls (less digging thru the menus)
-Overall a better looking camera (I know this one is subjective, just my opinion..)

The two are very capable cameras that will produce the same good results (especially with a good lens). It just comes down to personal preferences on little details. Going to a local store to play with both might help you decide.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›