5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High Value LG Smart HDTV!!, April 26, 2012
This review is from: LG 47LM6200 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LG 47LM 6200 LED edge lit LCD HDTV is perhaps the best current value on the market today! With a razor sharp crystal clear picture, the absolute BEST 3D passive system available and wireless connectivity coupled with web browsing and limitless apps and 3rd party video content providers, you just can't beat it!

I find a 47 inch HDTV to have the SHARPEST picture obtainable. The larger the screen, the farther apart the pixels are placed and the less cohesive the image becomes. Unless you plan to sit 10 ft or so away from your television I honestly think a 55 inch screen doesn't provide the best picture quality. Perhaps when OLED displays with 4k tech become the norm that will change. But for now, all 3 of my LG flat panels are 47 inch and for a good reason.

Let's start with the picture quality. The video 'engine' inside provides you with a beautiful 1080p rendering from any source component. Whether it is your HD DVR , your Blu Ray Player, or your Standard DVD or even VHS machine, the LG 6200 will up-convert your video signal and present you with the best possible rendering. The color decoders LG provides are top notch. With just a small amount of user calibration you can dial in near perfect color rendering and with the correct backlight/contrast/brightness settings you can obtain previously unheard of contrast ratios that look GREAT in any amount of light.

Don't even get me started on passive 3D. For me, it is the only way to watch 3D. No eye strain, no heavy expensive glasses and a fully enveloping, crystal clear viewing experience. And LG has passive 3D down to a science. It is the very best I have seen. Period! (the 6 pairs of included 3D glasses don't hurt one little bit either!)

I can honestly say that a television with this picture quality and feature set would have cost 10 thousand dollars or more just 6 years ago, had it been available then. Build quality, by the way, is excellent. There is nothing cheap or flimsy about this TV in any way. From the HDMI connectors to the included stand it is quality all the way. Just about the only thing I can possibly complain about is the power cable which is attached, but my higher priced LG 7600 also has that little niggle. (in fact, MOST TV's do)

The included web browser and user apps, coupled with the vast array of premium content, You Tube accessibility and more makes this an 'All in One' entertainment center. Use the included magic remote in the same way you would a Wii game controller. The cool factor is high with this LG! Don't forget about wireless connectivity to your internet router. (Look Ma, no wires) Really, it is amazing what you get for your money with this 6200.

I recently purchased their new 7600 which is 2 models up from this one. The only major difference is a slightly different bezel and cabinet styling, plus the 6200 gives you a 120hz refresh rate, verse the 240hz rate of my 7600. Nine times out of ten the average person simply can not SEE the difference between those two refresh rats and let's face it, a 120hz rate is TWICE AS GOOD in that critical department as our old school CRT tube televisions were. The visual quality of the edge lit back-lighting is spectacular and in my opinion LG has edge lit LED TV's nailed! My 7600 has quasi local dimming that LG calls 'LED Plus', but honestly in almost every real world situation it is NOT a necessary thing to get excellent performance out of an edge lit set. And believe me, this 6200 gives you TOP edge lit performance, of that there can be no doubt at all. If you can afford to spend another 2 thousand dollars on a full array local dimming LED TV then by all means do so, but if you are looking for the best value and picture in a very thin edge lit HDTV, then LG is simply the best in that department bar none!

I was just watching a PAL Columbo DVD (an old 1971 episode) and was thinking to myself about how great this TV can handle standard DVD resolution. A good trick is to engage the Mpeg Noise reduction to the "LOW" setting (found in the Picture options sub menu) and make sure your super resolution is turned on. I have been able to get near HD results from standard DVD'd doing this. Great digital tool box in this TV and at no extra charge!

I am a huge LG supporter. This is the 3rd LG LED 47 inch TV in 2 years. I have been impressed since day one with both the picture quality, amount of features and mature well thought out software implementation provided. The functionality and maturity of the software control systems are a MAJOR plus with LG. This is not a Beta tester product. Everything has been well thought out and executed to give you the highest quality performance. Things work the way they should, due largely to extensive research and development and TESTING on LG's part BEFORE they ship their products to you.

Bottom line: This LG looks, sounds and works the way you WANT it to!
At the current price, the LG 47LM6200 represents one of the very top values in HDTV today. Read my caveats at the very end of this review, but otherwise you just can't beat this TV for the price. IT currently resides in the master bedroom , connected to a Fios HD DVR and Oppo Blu Ray player but could easily be the center of ANY living room entertainment center or home theater set-up. I truly believe it smokes the competition and as such I recommend it very highly!
*** Check customer images for a few PICS I uploaded showing how this TV looks in the 'real world' !

In the interest of full disclosure and fair play I am going to include a small list of shortcomings that befall ALL edge lit HDTV's. This is the same thing I posted at the end of my LG 7600 review and it is also applicable to THIS model.

PLEASE READ ON IF YOU ARE TECHNICALLY MINDED and SUPER PICKY about your VIDEO:
***A word about Flashlighting, Vertical Banding, Clouding and Dirty Screen Effect. These are the artifacts or 'defects' that plague ALL edge lit LCD/LED panels. Some brands are better than others for keeping them at bay. The exact same model of TV may vary widely from unit to unit. My TV may have more artifacts present while another may not.

Basically you need to evaluate your own TV for what you might consider an 'acceptable' level of any or all of these things. By the very nature of an edge lit displays design you just can not escape this, but manufacturing tolerances vary greatly and although you may need to possibly return one or more units you can eventually end up with one you can live with.

The flashlighting on this 6200 is VERY slight, but it IS there and more noticeable during certain types of program material. Keeping your backlight down in the 50-55 range with your contrast in the 85 to 90ish range will GREATLY diminish any flash lighting you may experience. On horizontal pans of light background material you WILL see Vertical banding of varying degrees. I also have SOME dirty screen effect (Google it) and just a BIT of clouding depending on the program material. This is NOT a product defect, but to be expected with an edge lit LED HDTV. Again, it is very slight and not overly noticeable to most people.

Just be aware that ALL these things are inherent in Edge Lit displays. If you just can't live with them (in my case, hardly ANY but still....) then you need to consider a plasma or a full array backlit LCD/LED not an edge lit TV. Also, THOSE types of TVs ALSO have problems, just different ones. (halos, screen uniformity issues, stuck pixels, buzzing, excess heat, burn in, etc.)

BOTTOM LINE: With the exception of possibly the new Sharp ELITE models ( more than 5k to start) there is currently no such thing as a perfect display. Do not set your expectations higher than the technology will allow for. I am VERY pleased with this 6200. It offers an increased level of fine detail that was not present in my Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 4 years ago. The picture quality is on par with my LG 7600 , a TV costing a good 400 dollars more. The color accuracy is REALLY good and motion handling extremely good!

A word about adjusting your picture: As a rule of thumb, RESIST THE URGE to put your backlight to 100! The mistake many people make while trying to get a good picture is not understanding how to properly find the 'sweet spot' on their TV settings. You want to leave yourself plenty of 'headroom' and not clip the visual dynamic range and end up with everything looking positively radioactive!

Put your backlight down around 50 and crank up the contrast to around 85 , and play with your brightness control so that things are neither too dark or washed out. The more brightness you use, the more color intensity is needed, but adjust them in SMALL increments and test them on all types of material. Your cable box/dvr will need a different setting from your Blu Ray player. Every device sends a differently calibrated signal with different ideas of what constitutes a 'nominal' value. I STRONGLY urge you to invest in the Disney Worlds of Wonder, Digital Video Essentials or the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. Do the best job you can , then let the electronics 'burn in' for around 100 hours or so and do it again. It is a tedious process but you will be rewarded with the best picture quality on your block and a much more enjoyable viewing experience! I am currently enjoying overall the BEST picture on ANY HDTV I have ever owned and can thank the Spears and Munsil disc for much of it.

**As always, there ARE a small % of tech failures in electronics and purchasing an extended warranty would be a smart move as no matter how expensive something is, electronics DO fail and at the worst possible times.

Thanks for reading my review and ENJOY your new LG 6200. For the money, it can not be beat! Seriously!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 189 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2012 11:39:08 AM PDT
Nathan B says:
Spectacular review. I found the TV for the same price in-store, and bought it after your review.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 12:43:40 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Nathan B: Thanks very much for your kind words. Hope you enjoy the TV as much as our family is. It is the absolute best looking non local dimming LCD LED HDTV I have seen so far. Cheers! Marty G

Posted on May 1, 2012 3:34:33 PM PDT
tron3 says:
Thanks for the review. How is the channel surfing? I just returned a Toshiba 3D TV (515U) for issues with the VGA port. But it took 2 seconds to change a channel, and you can't continue flipping and stop at the channel you desire. Either endure the 2 second channel flip, or input the channel via the pad. So, does it offer "smooth channel surfing"?

Any PC related issues you can tell me about?

I am just amazed that my 2007 VW26L Vizio doesn't have any of the issues compared to the last THREE TV's I attempted to replace it with! If it was 1080p and 3D I wouldn't even think of replacing it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 3:42:23 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hello tron3 ! I can't answer your questions for the simple reason that we have no over the air signal up here in the high desert and are connected to either our Fios DVR or our Blu Ray player. Also, we are only connected to our computer via a wireless connection to our Fios Router and accessing shares. I admit I have NEVER used the TV tuner for any of my HDTV's in the last 7 years since we are forced to use cable or satellite up here. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Good luck to you with your quest for just the right TV for you. Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:28:08 AM PDT
tron3 says:
Thanks Marty, but you know what... Just for chuckles, you might want to attach an attenna and see what kind of OTA signal you get, if any. Here in the north east, some people get the local channels via antenna and stop paying the premium cable price for local channels. They just pay for the cable channels.

If you don't care to, I understand. But if curiousity gets the best of you, I would love to hear about the experience. Thanks for the quick response. {:-)

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:35:37 PM PDT
K. Gilson says:
Some other review I read said you can't turn the TruMotion off. Is that correct? That might be a dealbreaker to me in this otherwise great TV.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 4:40:41 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hello K. Gilson. Sadly, it IS true that at this time the Tru Motion controls available in upper models are not accessible on the 6200. However, the television as is does NOT present any amount of 'soap opera' effect and apparently has just enough to guarantee smooth motion. It is possible that with a later firmware update the software controls may be added but I don't know that for a fact. We watched auto racing on it yesterday and there was no motion blur that we could see. You could always TRY the TV if you buy from Amazon with the 30 day return policy and see for yourself before ruling it out. Hope this info helps! Cheers! Marty G

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:24:04 AM PDT
C. Rich says:
Can you tell me a little more about how that Disney Worlds of wonder or Digital Spears calibration disc works? Just curious you're really knowledgeable about this stuff. Thank you in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:44:08 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Thanks for your remarks C. Rich ! Calibration discs in general give you a reference level (and instructions) for adjusting your backlight level, contrast, brightness, color and tint and sharpness controls. Advanced functions include dialing in your grey scale and more, but you only need be concerned with the more basic adjustments to get a real eye popping picture. A color filter is usually included which will let you adjust exactly the right intensity of color and proper tint. (however, the LG has a full set of built in filters plus built in test patterns and more for a very easy almost automatic calibration. While handy, it still can not compete with the specialized discs) The Disney disc is the most basic and easiest to use for the novice calibrator and will provide excellent results, while the Spears and Munsil will let you dial in EVERY aspect of your TV. Both also include areas on sound so you can get your 5.1 in order, however most new A/V receivers feature and auto calibration program and included small mic which will make anyone's system sound as good as it can. Good luck! Cheers! Marty G

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:36:33 AM PDT
One of the very best written reviews with plenty of info I have seen while shopping here at Amazon. Your review was the answer that I was looking for. A review that has now convinced me this 6200 series is the one for me. One has been sitting in my cart for about a month just waiting to find a new home. By the way, I totally agree with you on getting a warranty. In December I purchased a Toshiba 4Ttl515U and had problems right out of the box and returned it for another. The LG was my first choice but not available at that time. It was either the 5400, or the 5500 series. I also purchased the LG BD670 in December too which has worked perfect for me. I look forward in getting the 6200. Once again Thank You for sharing such a great review.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Marty Gillis
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Los Angeles