5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High Value LG Smart HDTV!!, April 26, 2012
This review is from: LG 47LM6200 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LG 47LM 6200 LED edge lit LCD HDTV is perhaps the best current value on the market today! With a razor sharp crystal clear picture, the absolute BEST 3D passive system available and wireless connectivity coupled with web browsing and limitless apps and 3rd party video content providers, you just can't beat it!

I find a 47 inch HDTV to have the SHARPEST picture obtainable. The larger the screen, the farther apart the pixels are placed and the less cohesive the image becomes. Unless you plan to sit 10 ft or so away from your television I honestly think a 55 inch screen doesn't provide the best picture quality. Perhaps when OLED displays with 4k tech become the norm that will change. But for now, all 3 of my LG flat panels are 47 inch and for a good reason.

Let's start with the picture quality. The video 'engine' inside provides you with a beautiful 1080p rendering from any source component. Whether it is your HD DVR , your Blu Ray Player, or your Standard DVD or even VHS machine, the LG 6200 will up-convert your video signal and present you with the best possible rendering. The color decoders LG provides are top notch. With just a small amount of user calibration you can dial in near perfect color rendering and with the correct backlight/contrast/brightness settings you can obtain previously unheard of contrast ratios that look GREAT in any amount of light.

Don't even get me started on passive 3D. For me, it is the only way to watch 3D. No eye strain, no heavy expensive glasses and a fully enveloping, crystal clear viewing experience. And LG has passive 3D down to a science. It is the very best I have seen. Period! (the 6 pairs of included 3D glasses don't hurt one little bit either!)

I can honestly say that a television with this picture quality and feature set would have cost 10 thousand dollars or more just 6 years ago, had it been available then. Build quality, by the way, is excellent. There is nothing cheap or flimsy about this TV in any way. From the HDMI connectors to the included stand it is quality all the way. Just about the only thing I can possibly complain about is the power cable which is attached, but my higher priced LG 7600 also has that little niggle. (in fact, MOST TV's do)

The included web browser and user apps, coupled with the vast array of premium content, You Tube accessibility and more makes this an 'All in One' entertainment center. Use the included magic remote in the same way you would a Wii game controller. The cool factor is high with this LG! Don't forget about wireless connectivity to your internet router. (Look Ma, no wires) Really, it is amazing what you get for your money with this 6200.

I recently purchased their new 7600 which is 2 models up from this one. The only major difference is a slightly different bezel and cabinet styling, plus the 6200 gives you a 120hz refresh rate, verse the 240hz rate of my 7600. Nine times out of ten the average person simply can not SEE the difference between those two refresh rats and let's face it, a 120hz rate is TWICE AS GOOD in that critical department as our old school CRT tube televisions were. The visual quality of the edge lit back-lighting is spectacular and in my opinion LG has edge lit LED TV's nailed! My 7600 has quasi local dimming that LG calls 'LED Plus', but honestly in almost every real world situation it is NOT a necessary thing to get excellent performance out of an edge lit set. And believe me, this 6200 gives you TOP edge lit performance, of that there can be no doubt at all. If you can afford to spend another 2 thousand dollars on a full array local dimming LED TV then by all means do so, but if you are looking for the best value and picture in a very thin edge lit HDTV, then LG is simply the best in that department bar none!

I was just watching a PAL Columbo DVD (an old 1971 episode) and was thinking to myself about how great this TV can handle standard DVD resolution. A good trick is to engage the Mpeg Noise reduction to the "LOW" setting (found in the Picture options sub menu) and make sure your super resolution is turned on. I have been able to get near HD results from standard DVD'd doing this. Great digital tool box in this TV and at no extra charge!

I am a huge LG supporter. This is the 3rd LG LED 47 inch TV in 2 years. I have been impressed since day one with both the picture quality, amount of features and mature well thought out software implementation provided. The functionality and maturity of the software control systems are a MAJOR plus with LG. This is not a Beta tester product. Everything has been well thought out and executed to give you the highest quality performance. Things work the way they should, due largely to extensive research and development and TESTING on LG's part BEFORE they ship their products to you.

Bottom line: This LG looks, sounds and works the way you WANT it to!
At the current price, the LG 47LM6200 represents one of the very top values in HDTV today. Read my caveats at the very end of this review, but otherwise you just can't beat this TV for the price. IT currently resides in the master bedroom , connected to a Fios HD DVR and Oppo Blu Ray player but could easily be the center of ANY living room entertainment center or home theater set-up. I truly believe it smokes the competition and as such I recommend it very highly!
*** Check customer images for a few PICS I uploaded showing how this TV looks in the 'real world' !

In the interest of full disclosure and fair play I am going to include a small list of shortcomings that befall ALL edge lit HDTV's. This is the same thing I posted at the end of my LG 7600 review and it is also applicable to THIS model.

PLEASE READ ON IF YOU ARE TECHNICALLY MINDED and SUPER PICKY about your VIDEO:
***A word about Flashlighting, Vertical Banding, Clouding and Dirty Screen Effect. These are the artifacts or 'defects' that plague ALL edge lit LCD/LED panels. Some brands are better than others for keeping them at bay. The exact same model of TV may vary widely from unit to unit. My TV may have more artifacts present while another may not.

Basically you need to evaluate your own TV for what you might consider an 'acceptable' level of any or all of these things. By the very nature of an edge lit displays design you just can not escape this, but manufacturing tolerances vary greatly and although you may need to possibly return one or more units you can eventually end up with one you can live with.

The flashlighting on this 6200 is VERY slight, but it IS there and more noticeable during certain types of program material. Keeping your backlight down in the 50-55 range with your contrast in the 85 to 90ish range will GREATLY diminish any flash lighting you may experience. On horizontal pans of light background material you WILL see Vertical banding of varying degrees. I also have SOME dirty screen effect (Google it) and just a BIT of clouding depending on the program material. This is NOT a product defect, but to be expected with an edge lit LED HDTV. Again, it is very slight and not overly noticeable to most people.

Just be aware that ALL these things are inherent in Edge Lit displays. If you just can't live with them (in my case, hardly ANY but still....) then you need to consider a plasma or a full array backlit LCD/LED not an edge lit TV. Also, THOSE types of TVs ALSO have problems, just different ones. (halos, screen uniformity issues, stuck pixels, buzzing, excess heat, burn in, etc.)

BOTTOM LINE: With the exception of possibly the new Sharp ELITE models ( more than 5k to start) there is currently no such thing as a perfect display. Do not set your expectations higher than the technology will allow for. I am VERY pleased with this 6200. It offers an increased level of fine detail that was not present in my Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 4 years ago. The picture quality is on par with my LG 7600 , a TV costing a good 400 dollars more. The color accuracy is REALLY good and motion handling extremely good!

A word about adjusting your picture: As a rule of thumb, RESIST THE URGE to put your backlight to 100! The mistake many people make while trying to get a good picture is not understanding how to properly find the 'sweet spot' on their TV settings. You want to leave yourself plenty of 'headroom' and not clip the visual dynamic range and end up with everything looking positively radioactive!

Put your backlight down around 50 and crank up the contrast to around 85 , and play with your brightness control so that things are neither too dark or washed out. The more brightness you use, the more color intensity is needed, but adjust them in SMALL increments and test them on all types of material. Your cable box/dvr will need a different setting from your Blu Ray player. Every device sends a differently calibrated signal with different ideas of what constitutes a 'nominal' value. I STRONGLY urge you to invest in the Disney Worlds of Wonder, Digital Video Essentials or the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. Do the best job you can , then let the electronics 'burn in' for around 100 hours or so and do it again. It is a tedious process but you will be rewarded with the best picture quality on your block and a much more enjoyable viewing experience! I am currently enjoying overall the BEST picture on ANY HDTV I have ever owned and can thank the Spears and Munsil disc for much of it.

**As always, there ARE a small % of tech failures in electronics and purchasing an extended warranty would be a smart move as no matter how expensive something is, electronics DO fail and at the worst possible times.

Thanks for reading my review and ENJOY your new LG 6200. For the money, it can not be beat! Seriously!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 61-70 of 193 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:05:08 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hello Abdullah.. The answer is, not at this time. I expect an upcoming firmware update will certainly add the feature since the dual core can easily handle it. You may wish to drop LG a line and ask them.
Cheers! Marty G

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:54:44 PM PDT
Abdullah says:
I hear about Google tv and so in some youtube video . Can I know about these features like I can install chrome , or google stuff :: I means are they apps or something

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:38:13 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
This TV come with Chrome pre-installed. A list of apps can be found on the LG website along with more information regarding what might be available in the future. No files can be downloaded other than apps and some video formats/sites are not supported in the browser. LG will answer any email in depth regarding your questions. Cheers! Marty G

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:45:26 PM PDT
IQ says:
trying to decide between 42 and 47 and I am seeing elsewhere on the net problems with the black levels beingtoo light, have you had any problems with the 47 in this regard?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 11:12:02 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hello IQ ! Honestly, if Black levels are your PRIME concern, you need to either go with a Plasma, the higher end 9600 LG or wait for the price of OLED to come down. I have not noticed any horribly significant LOW or light black levels on ANY of my newer LG TV's , but you can bet you will get better ones from Plasma. Remember, these are edge lit TVs! ALL edge lit sets have trade offs, just as plasmas do. (different trade offs)

Now , on a practical level, we recently watched the Clint Eastwood film, 'Unforgiven' which contains LARGE amounts of night scenes. While the black levels and shadow details could not compete with a modern plasma, the overall picture quality was fine and really a cut above any top level LCD from even 4 years ago. Try to remember there is NO SUCH THING right now as a "Perfect TV"... (unfortunately) This may all soon change very quickly once OLED takes hold and there is enough brand competition to drive the prices DOWN to affordable levels. As my review states, for the money, this LG is really a great bargain and everyone here is very happy watching it.

GOOD LUCK !! Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 9:42:47 PM PDT
IQ says:
Hello Marty,
Thanks for your quick response. Black levels are not my primary concern, but I wanted to be sure this was not a significant issue. Your answer is really appreciated

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 5:28:14 AM PDT
tron3 says:
Marty, I have to say you are rockin' support on this product like you have stock in LG. {:-)

My concern is converting the Display Port of my computer to HDMI. When I tried this on a Toshiba I lost PC sound. Do you think I will encounter any such issue here?

I would REALLY love to upgrade to 3D, but it is strange that the best TV I have for my setup is still my 26" Vizio from 2007. I really can't beat it in terms of finding something that can really replace it. Any info appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 6:50:29 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Sounds to me the HDMI versions may have been incompatible or it was a very basic but highly annoying "handshake" issue which can cause audio to drop or go out on sync. Too bad your computer isn't a lap top as you could just walk it down to a brick and mortar store and see for yourself. I can say one thing for sure, I have read NO WHERE online about any HDMI/Computer problems with the latest line of LG products. That is USUALLY a good sign but if you need more convincing I would suggest visiting the online A/V forums or Google that topic. If there is a documented problem you can BET it will show up on your search results!

As for stock in LG, ha ha, I WISH! They are fast displacing the old standbys of both Samsung and Sony. Naw, no stock here , I am just a retiree on a fixed income that loves movies and TV. Good luck finding a way to replace your Vizio and enter the world of 3D and larger screen sizes! 4 years ago, I saw LG as "Brand X" , but today I wouldn't buy any other brand! As I said, no LG stock, just an honest opinion. Cheers! Marty G

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:41:01 AM PDT
J. Jerry says:
Marty,
Is the 3D of this set always on? Do I need to always wera the glasses? Your review of the set peaks my interest.
Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:54:03 AM PDT
F. Terling says:
No the 3D is on only when you want it to be. There are various options for the 3D including dual play gaming. Also it has 2D-3D conversation so anything CAN be in 3D it is just not ideal or as good of quality as something that is made for 3D. To watch the 3D you will need to wear the glasses to get the full effect otherwise the image just look very odd otherwise to watch regular TV or play games that are in non 3D you won't/

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Marty Gillis
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Los Angeles