5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High Value LG Smart HDTV!!, April 26, 2012
This review is from: LG 47LM6200 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LG 47LM 6200 LED edge lit LCD HDTV is perhaps the best current value on the market today! With a razor sharp crystal clear picture, the absolute BEST 3D passive system available and wireless connectivity coupled with web browsing and limitless apps and 3rd party video content providers, you just can't beat it!

I find a 47 inch HDTV to have the SHARPEST picture obtainable. The larger the screen, the farther apart the pixels are placed and the less cohesive the image becomes. Unless you plan to sit 10 ft or so away from your television I honestly think a 55 inch screen doesn't provide the best picture quality. Perhaps when OLED displays with 4k tech become the norm that will change. But for now, all 3 of my LG flat panels are 47 inch and for a good reason.

Let's start with the picture quality. The video 'engine' inside provides you with a beautiful 1080p rendering from any source component. Whether it is your HD DVR , your Blu Ray Player, or your Standard DVD or even VHS machine, the LG 6200 will up-convert your video signal and present you with the best possible rendering. The color decoders LG provides are top notch. With just a small amount of user calibration you can dial in near perfect color rendering and with the correct backlight/contrast/brightness settings you can obtain previously unheard of contrast ratios that look GREAT in any amount of light.

Don't even get me started on passive 3D. For me, it is the only way to watch 3D. No eye strain, no heavy expensive glasses and a fully enveloping, crystal clear viewing experience. And LG has passive 3D down to a science. It is the very best I have seen. Period! (the 6 pairs of included 3D glasses don't hurt one little bit either!)

I can honestly say that a television with this picture quality and feature set would have cost 10 thousand dollars or more just 6 years ago, had it been available then. Build quality, by the way, is excellent. There is nothing cheap or flimsy about this TV in any way. From the HDMI connectors to the included stand it is quality all the way. Just about the only thing I can possibly complain about is the power cable which is attached, but my higher priced LG 7600 also has that little niggle. (in fact, MOST TV's do)

The included web browser and user apps, coupled with the vast array of premium content, You Tube accessibility and more makes this an 'All in One' entertainment center. Use the included magic remote in the same way you would a Wii game controller. The cool factor is high with this LG! Don't forget about wireless connectivity to your internet router. (Look Ma, no wires) Really, it is amazing what you get for your money with this 6200.

I recently purchased their new 7600 which is 2 models up from this one. The only major difference is a slightly different bezel and cabinet styling, plus the 6200 gives you a 120hz refresh rate, verse the 240hz rate of my 7600. Nine times out of ten the average person simply can not SEE the difference between those two refresh rats and let's face it, a 120hz rate is TWICE AS GOOD in that critical department as our old school CRT tube televisions were. The visual quality of the edge lit back-lighting is spectacular and in my opinion LG has edge lit LED TV's nailed! My 7600 has quasi local dimming that LG calls 'LED Plus', but honestly in almost every real world situation it is NOT a necessary thing to get excellent performance out of an edge lit set. And believe me, this 6200 gives you TOP edge lit performance, of that there can be no doubt at all. If you can afford to spend another 2 thousand dollars on a full array local dimming LED TV then by all means do so, but if you are looking for the best value and picture in a very thin edge lit HDTV, then LG is simply the best in that department bar none!

I was just watching a PAL Columbo DVD (an old 1971 episode) and was thinking to myself about how great this TV can handle standard DVD resolution. A good trick is to engage the Mpeg Noise reduction to the "LOW" setting (found in the Picture options sub menu) and make sure your super resolution is turned on. I have been able to get near HD results from standard DVD'd doing this. Great digital tool box in this TV and at no extra charge!

I am a huge LG supporter. This is the 3rd LG LED 47 inch TV in 2 years. I have been impressed since day one with both the picture quality, amount of features and mature well thought out software implementation provided. The functionality and maturity of the software control systems are a MAJOR plus with LG. This is not a Beta tester product. Everything has been well thought out and executed to give you the highest quality performance. Things work the way they should, due largely to extensive research and development and TESTING on LG's part BEFORE they ship their products to you.

Bottom line: This LG looks, sounds and works the way you WANT it to!
At the current price, the LG 47LM6200 represents one of the very top values in HDTV today. Read my caveats at the very end of this review, but otherwise you just can't beat this TV for the price. IT currently resides in the master bedroom , connected to a Fios HD DVR and Oppo Blu Ray player but could easily be the center of ANY living room entertainment center or home theater set-up. I truly believe it smokes the competition and as such I recommend it very highly!
*** Check customer images for a few PICS I uploaded showing how this TV looks in the 'real world' !

In the interest of full disclosure and fair play I am going to include a small list of shortcomings that befall ALL edge lit HDTV's. This is the same thing I posted at the end of my LG 7600 review and it is also applicable to THIS model.

PLEASE READ ON IF YOU ARE TECHNICALLY MINDED and SUPER PICKY about your VIDEO:
***A word about Flashlighting, Vertical Banding, Clouding and Dirty Screen Effect. These are the artifacts or 'defects' that plague ALL edge lit LCD/LED panels. Some brands are better than others for keeping them at bay. The exact same model of TV may vary widely from unit to unit. My TV may have more artifacts present while another may not.

Basically you need to evaluate your own TV for what you might consider an 'acceptable' level of any or all of these things. By the very nature of an edge lit displays design you just can not escape this, but manufacturing tolerances vary greatly and although you may need to possibly return one or more units you can eventually end up with one you can live with.

The flashlighting on this 6200 is VERY slight, but it IS there and more noticeable during certain types of program material. Keeping your backlight down in the 50-55 range with your contrast in the 85 to 90ish range will GREATLY diminish any flash lighting you may experience. On horizontal pans of light background material you WILL see Vertical banding of varying degrees. I also have SOME dirty screen effect (Google it) and just a BIT of clouding depending on the program material. This is NOT a product defect, but to be expected with an edge lit LED HDTV. Again, it is very slight and not overly noticeable to most people.

Just be aware that ALL these things are inherent in Edge Lit displays. If you just can't live with them (in my case, hardly ANY but still....) then you need to consider a plasma or a full array backlit LCD/LED not an edge lit TV. Also, THOSE types of TVs ALSO have problems, just different ones. (halos, screen uniformity issues, stuck pixels, buzzing, excess heat, burn in, etc.)

BOTTOM LINE: With the exception of possibly the new Sharp ELITE models ( more than 5k to start) there is currently no such thing as a perfect display. Do not set your expectations higher than the technology will allow for. I am VERY pleased with this 6200. It offers an increased level of fine detail that was not present in my Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 4 years ago. The picture quality is on par with my LG 7600 , a TV costing a good 400 dollars more. The color accuracy is REALLY good and motion handling extremely good!

A word about adjusting your picture: As a rule of thumb, RESIST THE URGE to put your backlight to 100! The mistake many people make while trying to get a good picture is not understanding how to properly find the 'sweet spot' on their TV settings. You want to leave yourself plenty of 'headroom' and not clip the visual dynamic range and end up with everything looking positively radioactive!

Put your backlight down around 50 and crank up the contrast to around 85 , and play with your brightness control so that things are neither too dark or washed out. The more brightness you use, the more color intensity is needed, but adjust them in SMALL increments and test them on all types of material. Your cable box/dvr will need a different setting from your Blu Ray player. Every device sends a differently calibrated signal with different ideas of what constitutes a 'nominal' value. I STRONGLY urge you to invest in the Disney Worlds of Wonder, Digital Video Essentials or the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. Do the best job you can , then let the electronics 'burn in' for around 100 hours or so and do it again. It is a tedious process but you will be rewarded with the best picture quality on your block and a much more enjoyable viewing experience! I am currently enjoying overall the BEST picture on ANY HDTV I have ever owned and can thank the Spears and Munsil disc for much of it.

**As always, there ARE a small % of tech failures in electronics and purchasing an extended warranty would be a smart move as no matter how expensive something is, electronics DO fail and at the worst possible times.

Thanks for reading my review and ENJOY your new LG 6200. For the money, it can not be beat! Seriously!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 71-80 of 198 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:00:10 AM PDT
F. Terling says:
Also I believe this was answered earlier but I want some clarity because I asked this on the LG website and it said this set naturally runs with trumotion120hz as default but at the moment there is no settings to adjust until they do a firmware update to add it. What I'm wondering if it really is on default 120hz because when I'm watching things or playing games and I hover to the top it says for example "1080p 60hz" so to me that means it is not default 120hz but actually only running at 60hz. So which is it really is it running at 120hz and just not showing or is it really running at 60hz? I hope they get the update for this soon its mildly frustrating buying a product/TV and it advertises all these features and a good portion of them are not available yet.

One other question I have is how do I use the WiDi feature? I looked through various things and there are many DLNA options but I haven't seem to find the WiDi.(wirelessly displaying your PC screen to your TV to clarify what I am talking before people think I'm referring to wifi wireless internet)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 11:29:34 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
F. Terling gave the correct answer regarding the 3D functionality. Thanks! And for F. Terling's question:

The LG info bar at the top of your set only refers to the input signal. If you feed the TV 60hz then it will display 60hz. It is ALWAYS outputting 120hz. That is the native refresh rate of the panel. The 120hz has NOTHING TO DO with the Tru Motion feature which is something completely different from the panel refresh rate. The LG 6200 has no ON/OFF control for the Tru Motion setting. The next model up (6700) and beyond does. LG has preset the Tru Motion to provide what THEY think is the best overall setting. I currently use 3 different LG TV's, all 3 are new models and from experience I can tell you that the Tru Motion preset setting on the 6200 is JUST BARELY engaged. Again, this has nothing to do with the panel refreshing at 120hz. It ALWAYS refreshes at 120hz, whether the Tru motion is on or off. This is true with all their new panels. (try Googling " LG Tru Motion" for a full and detailed explanation of what the Tru Motion feature does and does not do)

By the way, I also own the 7600 and NEVER use the Tru Motion as it smears the image and makes everything look like it was shot on digital video or video tape, giving everything an unnatural looking soap opera effect while causing the motion rendering to assume a jerky unreal quality. I DO understand many people LIKE that effect, especially with sports and video games, but videophiles will almost ALWAYS keep that control turned to "OFF" to achieve the best, most natural looking picture.

As for the latest update,. two days ago my TV prompted me to update. I like the way it works NOW and do not want to chance it until I find out what may or may not be screwed up by the new firmware, since many times new firmware fixes certain issues and CAUSES new ones that weren't a problem before the update! For your situation it just may add the Tru Motion controls you desire so it is worth a try.

As for the WiDi feature? I have never been aware it was ever supposed to do that ........ You can stream wireless from your computer using any number of home media server programs or Windows 7 Media Server, but displaying your actual computer browser is a function I do not think is available on ANY current LG HDTV. Of course they do have a built in Chrome Browser you can use, but I do think that is as far as you can take it for web browsing. I apologize in advance if I am mistaken and if you hear any more about this please post so all of us can know. Thanks!

Just remember, that info bar at the top of your TV is telling WHAT TYPE OF SIGNAL you are feeding your TV, not what your TV is putting out on your screen. This LG will output 120hz on the screen no matter WHAT the input signal is and 24fps if you have that function enabled on your Blu Ray player.

Hope some of this info might be helpful! Cheers! Marty G

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 7:53:39 AM PDT
Abdullah says:
I have problem with NETFLIX program after I updated the software before two days, every time I tried to watch movie or TV show, it showed notice message" We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title"

It's bother me a lots ,I realy would like to know what is going on?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:56:18 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Thanks for the tip Abdullah. Apparently the new update has introduced a Netflix glitch/bug. You need to let LG know about this so they can release a software patch to fix it.

Personally I refuse to use Netflix because I see no reason to PAY for sub standard quality picture/sound that isn't up to the standards of my PAL DVD collection, let alone my Blu Ray and HD DVD titles. I have noticed MANY complaints about LG and it's Netflix interface, not just with THIS particular model TV. Apparently somebody has dropped the ball badly on this one over at LG and they NEED to get this straightened out as millions want Netflix and have purchased this TV for that very reason, among others.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble and hope it is worked out quickly. From everything I have read online, the gold standard for Netflix streaming remains the PlayStation 3. Sony has had a bad dip in quality lately, but that is ONE area where they still continue to excel.
GOOD LUCK and keep us all posted! Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 8:26:48 AM PDT
tron3 says:
Is the 3D conversion any good? My short lived Toshiba was more like 2-1/2 D. Or is this just the nature of converting to 3D?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 10:18:35 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hello tron3 ! Your results greatly depend on the content you are viewing. HD content is a MUST for good results. It is NOT as good as material made for 3D content. At times it can be very close depending on the quality of your input signal. Most 1080p or 1080i content will look pretty good, but you will also get some unintended results from time to time. Some things may pop out at you that are not appropriate for what you are watching. It is basically hit and miss and this goes for ANY brand, not just LG. (although different brands use their own algorithms to achieve this effect) Hope the info helps a bit! Cheers! Marty G

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 1:22:51 AM PDT
Hi Marty,

I could very well be one of the most non-techy people on the planet. I currently reside in Korea, and subscribe to the NFL Gamepass every football season to keep up with my Cleveland Browns and the rest of the league. First off, I'm wondering if it's easy to connect a computer up to one of these televisions, and get a good picture. The stream comes up nice and clear on the computer, but then again, I am no expert. I've read that some LG t.v.'s do not connect or connect well to streaming content.

Secondly, being a novice, what do you think are the bare-bones when purchasing this set? Do you think a blue-ray player is sufficient, or are speakers a must as well? I live in a little studio in Seoul, and will have a t.v. mounted on the wall in front of my bed. I should've been doing research long before, but I'm hoping to get something in the next day or so because I want to watch this weekend's UFC on the new set.

Any and all info would be grately appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 6:35:18 AM PDT
Hi Mike!

Hey, 7 years ago I knew virtually NOTHING about modern day home video and thought a Sony 27 inch Trinitron was the pinnacle of tech!

YOU can easily connect your computer to the LG. Dedicate one of the HDMI inputs (running from your computer video card out to the TV) and you will get both picture AND sound. You can also use the VGA output in the event you do not have HDMI on your computer but you will need to connect the audio separately. My brother bought one of these to use strictly as a giant computer monitor!

If you plan to watch Blu Ray discs, then you need a player. If not, then you don't. A Blu Ray player can handle DVD's and CD's as well plus a variety of streaming options so it is something to consider. As for extra speakers, that will also include an amp, wiring and in some cases speaker stands. Perhaps a small 2.1 home theater in a box system (two satellite speakers and a sub with modular amp/blu ray player) would be sufficient for your small viewing space.

Again, to answer your MAIN question, YES you can easily watch your computer content, displayed on the LG screen. Anything involving your computers BROWSER must be viewed with a direct connection. For media files such as movies and music you can connect wirelessly and stream those from your media server program. If any of this sounds confusing you need to GOOGLE the topics you don't understand and read up on them. Basically, that is how I first came by any of the knowledge I have gained in the last 7 years!

Good luck and enjoy your Football! Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 11:40:09 PM PDT
Hey Marty!
Thanks for the info. A couple more quick questions for you. Being that I am in a small studio, do you think the 42" would be sufficient? I'm guessing a lot of t.v. viewing will be while lying in bed. I'm guessing that wall to wall is less than 10 feet. So, if my head is near the headboard, I will be 9-10 feet(give or take). Is 8-10 feet too far away to enjoy a 42"?

Also, you probably have no idea, but what do expats do if they want American programming in a foreign country? I'd love to be able to maximize HD, American content while here in Korea. Unfortunately, the local cable providers only have a few English channels, and quite frankly, the programming is weaker than weak.

Lastly, what would I be looking at spending for a middle of the road blueray player and speaker set that would still do the t.v. justice? Seems like everything is pricier here in Korea, especially when factor in the currency exchange rate.

Thanks again in advance for your insight!

Have a good one!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 6:48:35 AM PDT
Hey Marty,

Have had a change of heart today after looking at the smart tv's here in Korea. Even though the t.v.'s themselves can be set to English, the applications and tools are all Korean or Korean related. So outside of youtube, general web browsing, and maybe the Time application, I'm starting to not realize the value of a smart t.v. here in Korea. The sales people told me that it's impossible to have them change the software for me. I suppose I can order a t.v. from the U.S., and have it sent to a friend's military A.P.O. to avoid customs taxes. But that could end up being a big hassle, and what are the odds of special care being taken on an international flight. An interesting side note, I noticed that with the current sale that Best Buy is running, the 47LM7600 can be purchased in the U.S. for about $800 cheaper than what I would have to pay here. That $800 savings is even after taxes are paid on the set. You would think that it would be cheaper here in Korea, especially since it is a damn Korean t.v.

In any event, my focus has now kind of shifted towards the 47LM5800, 47LS5600, and the 47LM6100. I believe the LM6100 is a smart t.v., but all three are similarly priced here in Korea. Are you at all able to shed some light on any of these sets. With the limited info and reviews that I've been able to find, it seems as if the LM5800 has more written about it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best of the three. Also, the LM5800 is the only non-smart t.v. that is carried in the L.G. catalog by the sales folks at the department store. All other sets in store and in their catalog are smart.

That's kind of where I'm at now. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but want to make the best decision possible. It sucks dumping this kind of money into a set when I'm not going to be getting the content that I would back home. On another side note, I've done a little reading on slingboxes, so that might be an option for getting some American content here. But again, I'm so non-techy, I don't know if I could pull that off.

Hope to hear back from you. Take care!